Death of a Prince
Cover Price: $37.64
Current Value: $474.00
is the retroactive title DC assigned to this 25 issue event that secured Black Manta's place among the most of evil of super villains and placed him beyond redemption. His plot to kill Aquaman and rule Atlantis begins with him leading his henchmen in multiple attacks on outlying Atlantean farms. Although victorious, Aquaman's duties as a member of the Justice League and his responsibilities as the King of Atlantis are taking their toll on his strength. Manta's determination, driven by blind hatred for Arthur, is relentless and culminates in arguably the most irredeemable act of villainy in comic book history: The murder of Arthur Curry Jr. (Aquababy) who was not even two years of age (Adventure Comics #452 | Ch. 15 of 25). Not only was this the first act of infanticide in comics, the method was particularly brutal and cruel. Black Manta forced Aquaman and Aqualad to fight to the death and the winner could rescue Aquababy from asphyxiation only if he killed his opponent before the water completely drained from the glass tank in which he was imprisoned. The last 10 issues of the event focus on the grief and fallout from the most shocking and permanent comic book death ever! As the title suggests, this is not a happy tale.
• Black Manta murders Aquababy.
• Aqualad bitterly and unforgivably refuses to help Aquaman, his mentor and father figure, go after Black Manta. Garth chooses to part ways rather than reconcile with Arthur after the events in Adventure Comics #452.
• Mera's grief and anguish over losing her child turn into rage towards his father for not saving him.
• Mera and Aquaman divorce.
• Aquaman's quest for vengeance."As Aquaman faces his greatest foes, Black Manta plans his ultimate revenge on the Sea King – resulting in the death of Aquaman's infant son and the dissolution of his marriage."