feature requests

Salt City Comic Con this weekend in Syracuse, N.Y. (Comic Book Forums)

• Salt City Comic-Con this weekend in Syracuse, N.Y.

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 23, 2017 2:53:57 pm
  • I'll probably be wearing a comic-related t-shirt and baggy shorts while looking for comics.

Say "Hi" if you see me. Laughing
  • Posted: June 26, 2017 3:29:35 pm
  • There's a lot of room for improvement for next year's Salt City Comic-Con. Having Neal Adams there was a big plus. I had a great conversation with editor Mike Gold, and enjoyed the panel he was on with artist Graham Nolan about DC Comics in the mid-1980s to the mid/late-1990s. I caught the tail-end of a panel on women empowered in the industry that I wish I sat in on from the beginning. For me, there was only one real good vendor that had a good selection of comics that I was interested in. Also good to catch up with an old friend of mine – and former colleague – who teaches at SU and draws a children's book "Salem Hyde" that I got volumes 1 through 5 for my nieces. There were several former pro wrestlers in attendance for fans in the area. I'm not one by the way but they did get a good turnout for their panel. There was a good amount of cos players, a few of which had excellent costumes, including one stunning Catwoman. The venue – the OnCenter (previously known as the Onondaga County War Memorial building) – was probably the low-point for me being kind of dingy. That and the $9 event parking fee, the $4 hot dog, and being told the $6 beer I just bought could not be drunk inside the hall for one of the panels but I had to stand outside under an alcove – literally two feet from my seat – until I finished drinking it. Hopefully next year's Salt City Comic-Con works out a few hiccups and a better – or brighter – venue.

Last edited June 26, 2017 9:05:56 pm
  • Posted: June 28, 2017 10:25:38 am
  • Sounds like it wasn't as good as you hoped, but at least you have a relatively positive experience. I've never been to this con before. Do you think it is worth a 2.5 hour drive for next year, or pass? The Electric City Con is coming soon (July 8th) and the Saratoga Comic Con is in November. Have you attended either of these events in the past? Never been to either, but the Electric City Con is free admission so i'll try to check it out.
  • Posted: June 28, 2017 4:54:20 pm
  • Jimbo749 said:
    Sounds like it wasn't as good as you hoped, but at least you have a relatively positive experience. I've never been to this con before. Do you think it is worth a 2.5 hour drive for next year, or pass?

I'd wait to see who the guests are for next year. There might be someone you would really like to see.

Jimbo749 said:
    The Electric City Con is coming soon (July 8th) and the Saratoga Comic Con is in November. Have you attended either of these events in the past? Never been to either, but the Electric City Con is free admission so i'll try to check it out.

Nope. Never been to either but I just moved back in the area about a year ago. I did go to a smaller con in Utica, N.Y. called Uticon last year that was pretty good for a 1-day event. Got a decent copy of Showcase #43 there (the James Bond Dr. No issue). This year's Uticon is Oct. 1 so if it's close to you, I'd recommend it. Here's the link to that site – http://www.uticoncomicshow.com/. And there were other 1-day cons held in the area. One was at the SRC Arena at OCC (Onondaga Community College) and the other was at the Holiday Inn in Liverpool. I found some books at both. I think both locations are having cons later this year, not sure when. Also, not sure if you want to travel that far if you're not in the area already.
  • Posted: June 28, 2017 5:00:59 pm
  • Awesome, thanks for the heads up about the other shows. Utica is about 1.5 hours away, so definitley doable if they have guests i would like to see.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 246 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Captain Marvel Issue # 7c
  • DC Comics's Jay Garrick: The Flash Issue # 6
  • Marvel Comics's Miles Morales: Spider-Man Issue # 19b
  • Marvel Comics's Symbiote Spider-Man: 2099 Issue # 2b