feature requests

Storage systems (Comic Book Forums)

• Storage systems

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 1, 2006 7:52:11 am
  • I'm using about 7 long boxes and 10 short boxes strewn across my basement to store my single issue books , and I've got a few shelves on a tall bookshelf dedicated to my trades. My brother has all his books (bagged and boarded of course) on regular bookshelves. There really has to be a better way to store books while having the option to display some worthy pieces.

I've doodled up plans for a bookshelf/box system that would let Me display some books and store everthing in a relatively streamlined system. I've seen a "filing cabinet" style cardboard system that holds a bunch of boxes, and of course the local comic book store has a big bulky wood and plastic custom job to display their stuff.

I'm curious about what other people are using. I'm not even going to attempt to build my system until I get to a larger place with a more secure area for my books. My books are in my basement right now, and I don't sleep well when it rains. Which brings up another point, what do you all use to protect your collections from flood, fire, etc? Extra insurance?
    "1500 years ago, everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat... and 15 minutes ago, you knew people were alone on this planet. Think about what you'll know tomorrow." - Agent K, Men in Black
    Find answers to CBR FAQs on my profile!
  • Posted: June 1, 2006 2:27:21 pm
  • You have covered the basics for most of us for storage. I have seen some people using certain types of filing cabinets with wheels to store the books.

I personally have 19 long boxes stacked up. I would love to take them to a climate controlled storage facility for peace of mind.

I have a wife that loves to remind me daily that I have too many comic books and they are everywhere.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: June 9, 2006 6:01:48 pm
  • i use individual long and short boxes. if i move to a new house i will probably try to build something i can store them in so i can get to them a little easier than i can now.
  • Posted: June 12, 2006 11:29:49 am
  • I use shorter comic boxes they cost about $4 Razz Razz Razz
  • Posted: June 12, 2006 10:56:57 pm
  • I use both long and short, I have around 50 long boxes and maybe 20 short.
    Darrin Niday
    Des Moines, IA
  • Posted: June 18, 2006 4:38:04 pm
  • What really gets my brain spinning on this is when I look at my triptych and other mosaic covers like SOTB 7-9, Exiles, Universe X and Paradise X. It seems a shame to keep them boxed up in sequence. They're ART! I'm going to have walls devoted to these books in my next house.
    "1500 years ago, everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat... and 15 minutes ago, you knew people were alone on this planet. Think about what you'll know tomorrow." - Agent K, Men in Black
  • Posted: July 19, 2006 2:20:33 pm
  • Elite comics switched to these early this year:

http://collectiondr.temp.powweb.com/images/Page4.html

Dough Boy, do you know if they sell them also? If so, do you know how much they charge? School starts in a month, and I'd pick a couple up at Elite if the price was right.
  • Posted: July 19, 2006 2:24:12 pm
  • As a matter of fact I do know Smile.

I was just there today and he is selling them for $10.95 each. I would imagine that is inline with that site. It all just depends on how much the site charges to ship them ($9 regular + Shipping).
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: July 19, 2006 2:50:14 pm
  • Super-expensive on the site. $16.50 per "set". I don't know if that means that each drawer is a set, or if you can get away with $16.50 for 5 drawers.

If Elite (william, wasn't it?) is selling them for $2 over what the manufacturer is charging, I may have have to clean him out at the end of the semester. Merry Christmas to me!

I still need bags and boards for half of my collection. http:www\the2buds.com sells bulk bags and boards for a decent price, so I'm going to try them out when I get the $$.
  • Posted: July 19, 2006 11:21:38 pm
  • i keep my collection in long boxes, but i do agree it is art, and should be viewed at all times! is the a better way?
    That's Mr. Comic Book Geek To You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Alan Scott: The Green Lantern Issue # 5b
  • Marvel Comics's Monica Rambeau: Photon TPB # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Spider-Gwen: Smash Issue # 4c
  • Dark Horse Comics's The Oddly Pedestrian Life of Christopher Chaos Issue # 8b