feature requests

Importance (Comic Book Forums)

• Importance

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 6, 2006 7:31:55 pm
  • WHat do you think is more important in comic collecting:how much they're worth or if you like the story/art? I thought the story/art but I know some people who disagree with me. If you can just give youre general opinion i'd be happy to hear from you!!! Razz Razz Razz
  • Posted: May 7, 2006 8:24:56 pm
  • I personally feel that if you are collecting, then for the most part it is for the potential money. The problem is now a days it is difficult to actually profit off of newer books.

I only collect what I read. I know some that actually buy one of everything. The only thing I do that I should cut back on is that I buy every cover for a particular issue. So if there is 3 variants and 3 printings, I buy them all.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: May 7, 2006 9:52:23 pm
  • collect what you like, there isn't much money in it unless you fork out the big bucks for older issues.
    Darrin Niday
    Des Moines, IA
  • Posted: May 8, 2006 11:50:20 am
  • Thank you Razz Razz Razz
  • Posted: May 11, 2006 10:50:07 am
  • I think that there is money potential in newer comics too - look at RRP & incentive variants... some of those are worth over $100 the day they are released! and frequently they are being paid more than they're worth on ebay.

I also purchase all variants of books I enjoy or just think are going to be worth a lot in the future - because most people want a completed set.

The key is to find a comic shop that will hold them aside for you and give you a deal. for example, I got a sketch variant of Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk #1 and 2 for about $20 U.S. a pop - but if you look at their worth anywhere, they're usually about $100 each.

A comic is only worth what someone will pay for it, but the 1:25, 1:50 and especially 1:75 variants (eg Civil War #1c sketch variant) don't get to all shops as they don't want to buy that many copies of the regular - so more people are willing to pay the big bucks!

Personally, I never miss the books were art & story is my favorite, but I will buy an RRP or incentive cover usually no matter what the series is - because [b:1829279ce4]SOMEONE[/b:1829279ce4] will want it if I ever chose to sell it.
  • Posted: May 11, 2006 6:21:16 pm
  • I think story/art is important but for me i start picking up comics back in the 70s that i could read while on vacation. I think my first issue of amazing spider-man was 153/154 and I got hooked and now most of my collection is spider-man books.

in my case it comes down to a character that i enjoy collecting but i also pick up some other books like savage dragon and spawn, as i enjoyed todd mcfarlane and erik larsen's run on spider-man.
  • Posted: June 1, 2006 1:40:55 am
  • It's really easy to get caught in the character loyalty trap now (now being in the last 20 years or so). It seems that when one title gets really good, the publisher will release a ton of inferior material.

I think the case can be made to some degree for some of the marvel titles, but The one that really sticks in my Craw is JLA. The main title was great during the last volume, and there were some Fantastic spin-offs, but then there were titles like "Riddle of the Beast" and Gatekeeper", just to name two off the top of my head that did not feel worth the money. at some point, You really have to watch out for the creative team on a title to decide if it's worth collecting.

Although, I'm looking at collecting as more of a liesure activity than for investment. If I could get a piece of shizzle comic (in my humble opinion) for a small fraction of what it's worth and unload it on ebay the next day, I wouldn't care how bad it is. That's my $0.02.
    "1500 years ago, everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat... and 15 minutes ago, you knew people were alone on this planet. Think about what you'll know tomorrow." - Agent K, Men in Black
    Find answers to CBR FAQs on my profile!
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Cat Wants In's Dark 30 Issue # 2
  • Marvel Comics's G.O.D.S. Issue # 6d
  • DC Comics's Superman/Batman Issue # 9
  • Marvel Comics's Ultimate Spider-Man Issue # 3f