feature requests

I have a slightly dumb question…. (Comic Book Forums)

• I have a slightly dumb question….

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 1, 2022 2:09:50 am
  • Maybe just a little sensitive because it involves math lmao but what does this mean? “Cash or Check; is usually 25% to 40% profit that you get in exchange.” In the context of this is a comic shops offer on store credit vs cash payout when selling a collection. I’m trying to sell a bunch of dredge and I was honest about it. The shop owner said to bring it in and he will look at it but already said he was overstocked as it is. But yea, anyways, I want to be prepared on what is conversion rate is before I go in, that way I have the information. Like I know it’s a math word problem essentially but I think I’ve been out of school for too long Embarassed
  • Posted: September 1, 2022 8:14:28 am
  • I would guess they're saying they figure out how much they stand to make by selling your collection and then offering you 25 to 40% of that. As you worded it, it could be a more complex equation because technically their profit has to include what they offered you to purchase it. But I'm sure it doesn't go that deep.

So if they think they could sell your collection for $1000, they'd offer you $250 to 400$ for it.

It sucks when you hear that but it's still more than you'd probably get by trying to sell it yourself on ebay or something, assuming it's mostly common stuff like you said.
  • Posted: September 10, 2022 10:30:55 pm
  • Collecting new comic books is mainly a losing venture for investment. The vast majority of new comic books lose value once you leave the comic shop (just like new cars). There are far more duds than winners. The formula used by most LCS's is buy at 25% and sell for 50%. Of course, that is assuming they are even interested in your "dredge" which most of the time they are not.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Al Barrett's Atomman Special # 7
  • DC Comics's Batman / Superman: World's Finest Issue # 26c
  • San Francisco Comic Book Company's Galaxy Issue # 1
  • Al Barrett's The Justiciary Issue # 4