feature requests

Definition of Spoiler Variant Covers? (Comic Book Forums)

• Definition of Spoiler Variant Covers?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 27, 2022 11:12:01 am
  • Hi,

I know that this question will have a lot of comic lovers snickering...

There are a great number of variant covers that are listed as Spoiler Variants, but I am looking for a formal definition of what that is? I assume it is a spoiler variant cover becuase it gives away something that is otherwise only discernable from the pages within the comic - but is it really that simple? Are there any 'rules' as with Retailer Incentive Variants or Store Variants, or is it simply a spoiler variant cover becuase the publisher says so?

Any help to a novice collector would be much appreciated.
  • Posted: June 27, 2022 7:54:54 pm
  • ive never heard of this term spoiler variant before, where are you getting this term? is it labeled that way from the publisher? if so i would assume the same you do...that its a new character to either comics overall or to that specific comic...

this may?? help...though i dont see spoiler variants separated out...but every kind of variant seems to be explained here...

https://covrprice.com/all-you-need-to-know-about-variants/

Last edited June 27, 2022 7:58:25 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: June 28, 2022 12:51:26 am
  • I'm afraid I won't be much help, but I do know that you see Spoiler Variant pop up quite a bit at places like Midtown.

Spoiler Variant

From the looks of it, it is just that...a spoiler for something happening in the book. Some recent Spoiler variants were the Spider Smasher from Mile Morales Spiderman and Titan from the New Hulk run.
  • Posted: June 29, 2022 8:28:41 pm
  • Marvelstiftelsen said:
    Hi,

I know that this question will have a lot of comic lovers snickering...

There are a great number of variant covers that are listed as Spoiler Variants, but I am looking for a formal definition of what that is? I assume it is a spoiler variant cover becuase it gives away something that is otherwise only discernable from the pages within the comic - but is it really that simple? Are there any 'rules' as with Retailer Incentive Variants or Store Variants, or is it simply a spoiler variant cover becuase the publisher says so?

Any help to a novice collector would be much appreciated.
    It's simply a variant cover that gives away something that happens in the story.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 66 years, 347 days, 7 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Ted White's Blat! Issue # 4
  • Eric Bentcliffe's Triode Issue # 24
  • Joe Kennedy's Vampire Issue # 8
  • Jeanne Gomoll's Whimsey Issue # 3