feature requests

Newb questions: how to decide if/what to grade/slab and shipping in quantity (Comic Book Forums)

• Newb questions: how to decide if/what to grade/slab and shipping in quantity

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 9, 2022 2:23:10 pm
  • Hey all...

New to the comic world here (or at least as a collector compared to reading as a kid in my youth) but have been asked to help a family member sell their collection. Being versed in selling thru my other hobbies, I'm happy to help on that front.

But I'm running in to seeing a number of sales (mostly in Facebook groups) of people selling comics that - either due to being non-key or condition - are selling for $50 or less. Seeing how CGC's base price is more than that, how is this even worthwhile? And how to decide what's worth grading or not? This collection has some notable parts to it (examples - full run of Marvel's original Star Wars, ASM 105-400+, full run of G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, full run of Cerebus the Aardvark except #1, etc.) and not sure how to judge that if time is not a big consideration (we're not in a rush to sell).
    Other question is if there is any posted reference or suggestion as to how to ship books in quantity? I've found a few, but most cover shipments up to 10-12 comics at a time. Given that my ideal will be to sell complete series together which means being able to ship 100, 150, or 200+ books at once. Is there a guide to doing this in ways to promote/insure safe arrival?

Thanks in advance for any guidance - just want to do what's best/appreciated by other collectors and garner a fair price on the collection as I can.
  • Posted: June 9, 2022 3:46:26 pm
  • Look at eBay sold listings too.

Focus on getting the keys pressed first then graded. You can use CGC’s pressing service or find a good presser on your own. Keys: first appearances, sought after covers, etc. I’d sell the keys first to maximize your profits. Maybe sell your dreck bulk book on Craig’s list.

I’m sure others will offer more helpful advice. Good luck

Last edited June 9, 2022 3:47:33 pm
  • Posted: June 9, 2022 8:42:08 pm
  • another word of advice...

it is EXTREMELY hard to tell the difference between some grades... so just do your best to figure out which keys you have in High Grade...then start narrowing your search from there...

one thing i do, and have been quite successful at, is i try to pick 1st appearances of a character or group of characters that have NOT been afforded television or cinema screen time... that way you will most likely always win Smile...

my latest win was 3 years ago, before covid now.... i sent in a bunch of books with characters that weren't even a thing or in rumors or anything at the time...

Vengeance 1 (America Chavez) came back a 9.8
    Young Avengers 1 (Kate Bishop, Wiccan, Hulkling, & Others, High Potential to go up still) came back a 9.8
    Wolverine Origins 10 (Daken) came back 9.8
    Spider-Man Noir 1 (Spider-Man Noir) came back 9.8
    Adam Legend of the Blue Marvel 1 (Blue Marvel) came back 9.6
    Hulk 1 (Newsstand) (Red Hulk) came back a 9.6
    Marvel Super Heroes 8 (Squirrel Girl) came back a 9.6
    Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 1 (Luna Lafayette) came back a 9.4
    Venom vs Carnage 2 (Toxin) came back a 9.2
    Ultimate Fallout 4 (Miles Morales) came back a 9.0

So maybe thatll give you an idea on your end...

also if you want to send in yourself, you have to purchase the membership, and that membership package includes boxes and packaging material you will need with explanations of how to package everything for them... (although you have to pay for it with the credits they give you or whatever it was...youll see when you read up on the membership packages) so you are good there...

Last edited June 9, 2022 10:01:21 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: June 11, 2022 3:06:01 am
  • those high 9's can turn a 20$ non-key into 200-300
    staring at the ebay sold tracker
    I don't know how good people are at grading by HQ scans(that subforum), but if you throw up a bunch, maybe those that know can help you decide what should go for grading
    or find a local expert that can look at your raws in detail
  • Posted: June 11, 2022 11:34:02 am
  • prob with that is that they grade more then just the outer covers, then entire book is looked at, page by page...
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: June 12, 2022 5:02:10 pm
  • Thanks for the advice/comments thus far.
    I've had a little luck in trying to locate friends/acquaintances to help with grading so I gather I'll do my initial thoughts on things and then follow up with them to get some added feedback, see if anything is worth a slab cost (and wait).

Think I'll still stick with my idea to sell the larger runs I have a packages rather than just the keys individually (as the primary goal is to get things out the door). I know this may prove a bit trickier than selling singles but you can also always start with larger groups and then split them down the road if so inclined. Kinda hard to go in reverse.

Any feelings/suggestions on shipping quantity? Been looking at getting at least a few Gemini boxes as I'm sure I'll be doing a couple of shipments in the 10 or less category at some point. But for larger stuff???
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 243 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Viz Media's Mission: Yozakura Family Soft Cover # 10
  • Feiwel & Friends's The Baker and the Bard TPB # 1
  • W.W. Norton & Company's Will Eisner's A Contract with God and Other Stories of Dropsie Anenue TPB # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine and the X-Men Issue # 13b