feature requests

Do you have a strategy of how to collect? (Comic Book Forums)

• Do you have a strategy of how to collect?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 14, 2022 10:20:36 pm
  • When I say strategy I mean, a favorite store, online, or something different. The books you get do you go by a list or look at the cover and from there? Does the media like current tv shows And movies coming out change anything? Angel
  • Posted: May 15, 2022 6:59:20 am
  • You might get a hundred different responses from this question.

Personally, I collect the things that I enjoy, and then branch out from there, to look for specific issues, harder to find items etc.

Moon Knight was one of those almost dead in the water characters for decades. Various teams of artists and writers tried to revive the character in the various volumes along the way, but the character/book didn't get a lot of traction.
    So what. I didn't care, and picked books up that I liked or had significance, no matter how obscure, like high ratio variants, early appearances, Sienkiewicz art and back up stories in the older Hulk magazines, etc. So now that a hit show arose, the books that nobody paid attention to, have become more desired and valuable.

Comic book collecting and speculation is a fickle beast. You really never know what is going to happen, or the things that are going to be a future hit, but if you collect the things that you like, well, you never know just what might happen, all the same.

Back to more of what you were asking, personally, I shop locally at two stores, but do the rounds at checking out things online, flea markets, thrift stores, department stores etc, always looking for any super savings deals.

Media does have moderate influence on purchasing decisions, but things come and go, and ideas change or fizzle on tv shows and movies, so you don't want to mortage your house for something that might or might not happen.

A couple of months ago I spent some time combing back issues at one of the shops in town, and pulled out anything Spider-Verse or Geddon that was high grade and cheap ($1-3). No clue if anything will really pan out in terms of value, but I also didn't invest much into the purchase, other than my time.

Hope that helps, or at least gives some perspective.
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: May 15, 2022 3:34:50 pm
  • I am wanting Starfire to take off in value. I am also trying to get Batman books. I go to the local comic book store. And sometimes
    comic cons

• Posted: May 15, 2022 3:34:54 pm
  • I am wanting Starfire to take off in value. I am also trying to get Batman books. I go to the local comic book store. And sometimes
    comic cons

• Posted: May 15, 2022 7:31:36 pm
  • I don't really buy new comic book anymore except Moon Knight (Hey Spector!!). I'll suggest you buy what you like to read. If that's Starfire and Batman, so be it. There are more titles that come out monthly than ever before, so it's tricky walking into a comic book store nowadays. No matter what your hobby is, there is a comic book being published for you.

I like cheap books. When I WAS collecting I wpuld purchase books in bad condition as they were much cheaper than a Mint book. It seems that these days everyone wants comic books in perfect condition, which explains the popularity of CGC.

After collecting for many years, I would gravitate to creators instead of titles pr characters. I would prefer to buy new books by artists and writers whose name I recognized.

Did that help any?

Last edited May 15, 2022 7:33:07 pm
  • Posted: May 15, 2022 9:43:40 pm
  • I only buy comics (Trades or HC) from my favorite writers nowadays, Jeff Lemire and Brian Wood (Last one is apperantly inactive, so its Lemire only.
    I own all what those two have written.

Maybe here and there a trade from my fav. heroes/villians Hulk, Carnage, Thanos, Hercules, Venom (or Infinity Gaunlet related)

US Comics = Online
    Dutch Comics = LCBS or Warehouse

I don't buy old stuff anymore (flea markets) have all i want, Only keep my series complete buying each 6 weeks about 10 dutch comics

Last edited May 15, 2022 9:51:29 pm
    English is not my native language, please forgive my grammar / spelling...
    (First non-English speaking Moderator on CBR)

Paling & Ko by Francisco Ibáñez
  • Posted: May 15, 2022 11:25:27 pm
  • Howdy. Welcome to the site. You should make your collection shared so all us weirdos can see what comics you own.

To answer your question, I will first echo what has already been said: Collect what you like to read! If you like Starfire, with a little work you could build one of the most impressive Starfire collections in the world! (You can do that with Batman too, but that would be a much larger endeavor).

Second, I will suggest you have some sort of regular budget for your hobby and enjoy the act of shopping around and trying to get the best value you can in your purchases. Local comic shops, comic cons, flea markets/garage sales, online auctions, Facebook groups, and even this site are all good places to shop around for a great deal.
    Did I err?
  • Posted: May 16, 2022 1:14:59 am
  • I don't chase any one particular character or title, and I'm not really a comic seller, so the "value" doesn't really concern me. At this point, I mostly just buy comics with covers that grab me!

I've got my monthly pulls of new comics, but when it comes to back issues, my collection is all over the place because I hunt them in the wild. . .bargain bins, flea markets, antique stores and such. There's literally no rhyme or reason to what I'll buy, beyond a comic usually having a cover that's caught my attention.

I think I might be in somewhat of a minority by having an almost completely random comic collection beyond my monthly pulls, which are mostly Batman and Star Wars related.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: May 16, 2022 2:23:08 pm
  • To answer your actual question I get most of my comics from my LCS and occasionally find some others at other comic shops. I collect a few Marvel titles and any new Legion of Super Heroes stories I can find.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: May 18, 2022 10:57:32 am
  • I'm in the process of finishing runs in my collection. I now have two pulls at my LCS (Saga and Thor) and otherwise check out flea markets, HPB, and LCS near and far for things interesting. I do sell books and will eventually whittle down my collection to about 500 books or so. If I happen to own a hot book, it's mostly pure luck since I collect what I read (hey Moon Knight! Ya done me proud...and yer outta here!).
  • Posted: May 19, 2022 9:24:06 pm
  • a lot of Bronze age stuff got rebooted
    and it was pretty B, C-list camp stuff for source material
    She-Hulk, Nova, Moon Knight, Lady Thor
    I watched a 20 minute one shot of Kamandi Last Boy on Earth that was made only a year ago.
    Who can account for what will be popular? I don't imagine people sitting around in the 70's thinking Star Wars is gonna be a multi-billion $ empire 50yrs in the future
  • Posted: July 2, 2022 2:02:58 am
  • I would say that your "Strategy" for collecting would be based around WHY you're collecting. Some People enjoy certain characters, like Spider-Man so will buy anything with Spidey whether it's the main titles or cross-overs.

Others prefer to collect certain writers or artists, like Grant Morrison or Alex Ross, etc.

Then there are those that just enjoy collecting for the sake of it and will buy anything that appeals to them.

The other group would probably be those that collect to re-sell or buy as an investment.

Many of us are a mix of these though.

I hope that answers your question to a certain extent?

Last edited July 2, 2022 2:04:19 am
12 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 65 years, 221 days, 11 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's Aquamen Issue # 5c
  • Penguin Books's Maggie's Farm Soft Cover # 1
  • Behemoth Entertainment LLC's Redman Issue # 1b
  • A Fine Line Press's Stinz Issue # 21