feature requests

Comic bulk buying/great value mystery boxes (Comic Book Forums)

• Comic bulk buying/great value mystery boxes

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 24, 2022 5:24:24 am
  • Is there a place to find good value bulk deals on comics or mystery boxes anymore? I remember like 10 years ago I stumbled across an ebay seller by the name of ambrosia2112 who had these great boxes of vintage to modern age boxes of 50 books with one silver age book guaranteed. I remember getting a few and i got a Sea Devils #12, Thor #152, an early Namor and Strange Tales book, and even a Wonder Woman #204 for the guaranteed silver age/vintage books in the boxes.
    The comics weren't in the best of shape but , cant beat it for like 26 cents a book. I tried to look up the seller and he was no more. But i remember being able to find that and some actual websites that weren't LCS sites, that just sold bulk lots on the cheap.
    I know ebay is still there, but i just looked and I don't see too many great deals compared to either the quantity you're getting compared to the price or the age of the potential books, most are 90s fodder. I know its unrealistic to think there will be keys in any bulk deals or mystery boxes even though i just listed a few lol, but those were more just "value", because they were extreme reader copies, but like i said, it was only 26 cents a book, so you cant beat that.
    Anyways, do sites or sellers like that still exist? I know ebay is still there as i said but didn't see many great deals and i don't want a subscription box or fancy mystery box like thatspidermanbooth or anything. Just don't know if there's a site or something that has boxes from decades or characters or has value like 50 books for 20 dollars or something like that anymore?
  • Posted: March 25, 2022 10:40:48 am
  • I seem to recall reading Ebay started discouraging mystery boxes due to the fact so many were being returned for "item not as described in listing" when people weren't happy with what they got.
  • Posted: March 25, 2022 11:50:09 am
  • Mystery Boxes of comic books seems so alien to me. It really makes no sense to my brain. You get what you pay for. If it's super-cheap, don't be surprised it's full of garbage.
  • Posted: March 25, 2022 1:34:01 pm
  • Not sure if there is an Ollie's Bargain Outlet near you but since last year they have been stocking up on Marvel/DC trade paperbacks and also have comic grab bags (sealed and bagged) with what look like 5-6 issues per bag. I haven't bought any but they look to be comics from the early 90s to mid 2000s. And they sell these cheap. Most of the TPB's are under $5.

Last edited March 25, 2022 1:35:03 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: March 25, 2022 2:34:11 pm
  • Yea, I hear ya. I never really got burned on them, or at least the ones I would buy. I mean sure, I never pulled a grail but I would at least get great value as far as paying anywhere from 17-31 cents per comic when you broke it down. But I suppose those days are long gone. Maybe I just lucked out, cause when I was heavy into buying comics, I would have an early subscription service so I never paid full price, there were bulk deals online everywhere I looked, and Hastings was just going out of business and got so many deals there. I would say probably only like 10% of my collection I only paid full price for. But then again, I only have 40 or so books worth over 100 dollars lol so not like I have the best collection or anything, just always liked the concept of getting a deal. I remember there used to be some site where they had 100 random books divided up by decades from the 60s up. I could never afford the early ones back then, but yea that’s what had got me thinking if they still did deals like that or not, but I’m not finding anything other than subscription boxes or personal mystery boxes and the bulk deals on eBay definitely looks sketch. I did find one with 10 books and a guaranteed silver age book for 40 bucks and I bought a few, I’m sure that will cure my itch lol. Yea I guess at the end of the day my thing is…..I’d much rather buy 100 books for 100 dollars (hypothetically) than buy one book for 100 dollars. But I get that that’s very short sided, I just got chase grails that much.
  • Posted: March 31, 2022 2:17:29 am
  • bj6524 said:
    Yea I guess at the end of the day my thing is…..I’d much rather buy 100 books for 100 dollars (hypothetically) than buy one book for 100 dollars.

Now THAT'S a great Longbox Junkin' mindset. I'm right there with you!

Last edited March 31, 2022 2:17:59 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Rebellion's 2000 A.D. Issue # 2375
  • Marvel Comics's Rise of the Powers of X Issue # 3d
  • Marvel Comics's Rise of the Powers of X Issue # 3illum
  • DC Comics's Superman/Batman Issue # 9