feature requests

Do you haggle? (Comic Book Forums)

• Do you haggle?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 20, 2021 4:25:58 pm
  • You visit your LCS and see a reasonably priced book on the wall, heck maybe it is a little higher priced. Do you haggle with the shop at all to get a better price or just pay what is being asked. I suck at haggling and can’t say I do it but wanted to check with the community here.
  • Posted: July 20, 2021 8:44:52 pm
  • um haggle lol...if its a $100 book i just blatantly ask if theyd take $80 for it (after looking at the book of course)...knock it down 20% some will, others wont, others still will meet in the middle...its best to haggle at a show when there really is no saying no unless its a ridiculously low offer...

just remember, there is NO WAY the book was purchased at said price, thats just not good business...there is always room to wiggle to an uncomfortable agreement lol...

Last edited July 20, 2021 8:45:53 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    NYX #3 - 1st X-23
    All-New Wolverine #1-4 - 1st Laura as Wolverine, 1st Honey Badger (Gabby)
    Avengers A.I. #1 Newsstand Edition- Doom cover!!
    Defenders #32 - 1st Ruby Thursday
    Defenders #92 - 1st Eternity
    Legion of Monsters #2-3 Newsstand Editions
  • Posted: July 20, 2021 9:38:00 pm
  • Thanks zombie, I need to take that approach next time I buy some books at my Lcs. I like to frequent stores whenever I travel so will give it a shot.
  • Posted: July 21, 2021 10:50:28 am
  • I have done this a lot. At both comic book shops and with vendors selling at shows/cons. It normally works in your favor as long as you're making a reasonable offer. Just be polite, show your interest, and that you know about what is being sold. If something has been sitting on a shelf a long time you can make a much lower offer because it will take it off their hands and make room for other inventory. Strike up a little conversation and after you hand it back, look at it from a distance for a while. Go walk around the store or con a little bit, and come back and say, "would you be willing to take x amount for it?" About 50% of the time they will counter your offer with something in between.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: July 21, 2021 11:20:06 am
  • I have haggled in the past as well. Mostly at comic book conventions as opposed to brick-and-mortor stores. Not for the $3 comic books, the pricier stuff.
    Like Rapha1978 and AmZoMBiE both mentioned, make a reasonable offer. Never less than half price.

Last edited July 21, 2021 11:29:50 am
  • Posted: July 22, 2021 2:44:32 am
  • If you're a regular customer at a shop, the owner will usually tolerate some haggling, in my experience. If they know you'll be back, they're more willing to cut a bit of a deal as long as they can still make some money on it.

Last edited July 22, 2021 2:44:54 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 62 years, 216 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Amazing Spider-Man Issue # 517b
  • Gemstone Publishing's Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide  Hard Cover # 50hero
  • DC Comics's Superman: Son Of Kal-El Issue # 1b
  • Goteblud Comics's Wuvable Oaf: Money Shot / Pig in the City Issue # 1