feature requests

Starting to collect again need suggestions (Comic Book Forums)

• Starting to collect again-need suggestions

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 13, 2021 1:16:52 pm
  • Collected all Mike Grell comics. Loved The Warlord, and Jon Sable Freelance series.
    Also, really liked all of the comics and the artwork of Michael Turner.

Any suggestions on a few titles that would be good to take a look at for collecting now, that would compare to the two writers/artists above?
  • Posted: July 13, 2021 2:46:05 pm
  • Welcome to the site and good for you getting back into the hobby! Does your profile name have anything to do with the baseball player Rube Waddell?

There is a member here named Kanjikoka who is a serious Michael Turner fan. I can't tag his name or anything but if you click on my name over there on the left you'll see him on my friends list. Might be worth checking out his collection if you're looking for ideas on Turner books to collect. You won't be disappointed, he has everything lol.
    nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: July 14, 2021 8:09:15 am
  • Not that I know of on the baseball player.

Thanks for the info on your friend.
  • Posted: July 14, 2021 11:18:53 am
  • Honestly I'd collect back issues and picking up whatever may be missing in your collection. I can't think of anything that's on the level of those late 70s-early 80s comics being published nowadays. Mike Grell's run on Shaman's Tears in the 90s is worth checking out if you have not before. Jon Sable even guest starred. And the 1st volume of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (Valiant) was pretty good.

I too loved Turner's art. I haven't kept up but I believe that his character Fathom has continued on since his passing. Not sure how the art has been in more recent volumes but does not hurt to check it out as well.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: July 14, 2021 10:32:10 pm
  • What do you call someone who stopped collecting comics, only pick up the hobby again? A repeat offender!

I'm a repeat offender too buddy. This site is a great tool for collections of any size. When you are ready, make your collection viewable so all of us weirdos can poke around and see what you have. Smile

As far as new comics go, you can check out https://www.previewsworld.com and see if anything grabs you. You can synch up a pullbox on that site with your LCS so what you order/subscribe to on the website arrives at your LCS for pickup. This site stays up to date, so when you get home from your LCS, you can immediately log your new comics into your collection here.
    Did I err?
  • Posted: July 15, 2021 3:57:51 am
  • Thanks for the information on the preview site.
  • Posted: July 16, 2021 4:15:13 pm
  • There are a lot of interesting and worthy projects on Indiegogo and some on Kickstarter. You can search on both platforms and see if any of them interest you.

This one looks fun: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fatl/x/23719121#/

Last edited July 16, 2021 4:15:34 pm
  • Posted: July 20, 2021 2:51:45 am
  • Maybe check out some of Aspen's comics. Most of their titles feature a very Michael Turner-like art style. I think they shut down during the worst of the Coronavirus, but there's plenty of back issues and collections out there.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Cable & Deadpool Issue # 14
  • DC Comics's DC Connect Issue # 47
  • Marvel Comics's Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi Issue # 6d
  • Marvel Comics's Thor by Straczynski & Gillen - Omnibus Hard Cover # 1b