feature requests

A comic book comes with polybagged (Comic Book Forums)

• A comic book comes with polybagged

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 9, 2021 9:52:27 am
  • Hi All -

Just wondering on something...

If a comic book comes with polybagged, if a person ripped the bag open and read it, and would it hurt the value?

Yes, I know I can buy 2nd one, rip it open and read it. Also save the original one in the polybagged. That's not the issue.

I am just curious what happen after ripped it open.

Thanks,
    -Adam
  • Posted: June 9, 2021 10:07:28 am
  • Most poly bags are acidic, so have to be removed eventually. Grading services remove them if you don't. So: Carefully remove the comic from the poly bag. If so inclined, save the poly bag behind the backing board. Some poly bags are cool looking (Death of Superman, for example), some are just...bags. I read somewhere that grading services are now or in the near future looking to keep the poly bags they remove in a separate case? Seems silly to me, but I don't collect poly bags.Laughing
  • Posted: June 9, 2021 11:27:52 am
  • Yup I get it. It's in the air that without the polybag "somewhere" that the book could be considered incomplete. Has anyone else seen this? Just curious if this is going to be the norm going forward.

However, you still have to take it out eventually or the polybag will damage your book. So, take it out, enjoy your comic, and save the polybag behind the board you put your comic back into. Or buy two and see if keeping it in the polybag makes it more valuable over time or degrades the inks and paper.

Personally, unless the bag had artwork of some kind (I think Death of Ultimate Spider-Man also had a cool bag), it's more plastic trash. YMMV.
  • Posted: June 9, 2021 6:38:55 pm
  • I have seen this come up plenty actually...a good example would be Ultimate Comics Ultimate Spider-Man #1...It came polybagged and for some reason is worth significantly more then the open version...why? i am assuming (at least for that book) that there may be an inserted signed copy possibly...i know that when Johnny Storm died there were signed versions inserted into the polybagged version randomly...

Yet again they released 2 different Ultimate Fallout #4's a polybagged (just clear, no art, no writing, no anything) version, then the regular unbagged...which had no difference in the book itself, but yet again people pay more for the bagged version..

For me, i dont open them and just bag them as is if i can fit them properly...if not i usually open the bag lol...for the ones i dont open i just find a digital copy online to read...

Now for value with a bag doesnt make much sense to me if its an example like UF4 where there is no bag art, just a clear bag and no comic difference, but for the UCUSM1 or FF4 it does make sense solely because of that chance at a signed copy...
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Thor #134 - 1st High Evolutionary
    Strange Tales #94 - 1st MODOK
    Uncanny X-Men #199 - 1st Rachel Summers as Phoenix
    Strange Academy #2 4th print
    Thanos #13 5th Print - 1st Cosmic Ghost Rider (Doom Cover Homage)
  • Posted: June 10, 2021 8:18:27 am
  • Ah that makes sense, AmZoMBiE (ha typing that is like remembering a password)!

I have a bagged copy of UF 4 only because I bought it at a game store for 20 cents (really) and didn't bother to open it to read, thinking eh, I'll get to it. I go back and forth about opening it but only because I'm worried about damaging the book, not necessarily the value.

So, kind of like a slot machine, a bagged comic that could be signed is worth more than an unbagged one that isn't. Erf.
  • Posted: June 10, 2021 7:02:47 pm
  • If a polybagged comic has a chance at a signature I would definitely open it because it would be worth way more if actually found. Plus the curiosity would drive me crazy. I could see it being a good selling ploy, though.

The UF#4 should be taken out of the poly as it will put a crease on the back cover fairly quickly
  • Posted: June 11, 2021 5:00:03 pm
  • All of your perceptions on this topic is a great feedback.This helps made my decision much easier. I went ahead opened it and read it.

Thank you,
    -Adam
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 61 years, 241 days, 1 hour of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Archival Press's Back for More Soft Cover nn
  • Little Brown & Company's Harriet Tubman: Toward Freedom TPB # 1
  • Marvel Comics's House of X Issue # 5j
  • Image Comics's Jupiter's Legacy: Requiem Issue # 1d