feature requests

Limited Comic Damaged in Shipping Partial Refund? (Comic Book Forums)

• Limited Comic Damaged in Shipping - Partial Refund?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 3, 2021 8:19:24 am
  • Hi all,
    I bought a store exclusive variant of The Last Ronin #1 on ebay for 60 + 7 shipping.
    It was sent in a Gemini mailer with apparently much care, but somehow the bottom of the comics bag was split when it arrived. The comic and board were sticking out of the bag and there is minor but noticeable wear along the cover of the collectible.
    I asked the seller about it and he offered a refund. I asked about a partial refund where I keep it but I'm not sure what the reasonable amount would be. It seems minor but certainly it can greatly impact the grade/value of a limited book.
    Just wanted to hopefully get some impartial thoughts/ opinions.

Last edited May 3, 2021 10:18:01 am
  • Posted: May 4, 2021 10:11:02 am
  • Well if he agrees to a partial refund then I think half (maybe less considering that it is such slight damage) of what you paid is fair. Normally a full refund requires that you send back the item. If it's something you really want to keep then work with the seller on terms that both of you can agree on.

Last edited May 4, 2021 10:13:27 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: May 5, 2021 9:28:51 pm
  • first thing i would do is message him and ask if you can swap copies, explain this one got damaged via shipping, and that instead of refunding you would rather swap...then when (at least i expect) he says he doesnt have another copy, that's when you bring up 'well id like to work out a deal then....'

this leaves his guard down because you are not looking or expecting a refund or partial...and also leaves a good segway to the partial conversation...that way it doesnt seem forced...
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: May 7, 2021 11:24:10 am
  • AmZoMBiE said:
    first thing i would do is message him and ask if you can swap copies, explain this one got damaged via shipping, and that instead of refunding you would rather swap...then when (at least i expect) he says he doesnt have another copy, that's when you bring up 'well id like to work out a deal then....'

this leaves his guard down because you are not looking or expecting a refund or partial...and also leaves a good segway to the partial conversation...that way it doesnt seem forced...
    I agree with Zom, if the guy has more copies I would try and just swap it out for a new one. This happened to me once with a graded book where the package got hit in the corner and smashed the case all up. Messaged the seller and he had another copy of the same grade and we made the swap.
    nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: May 9, 2021 8:16:23 pm
  • Keep in mind also refund from USPS. At $7 it was possibly Priority which insures at least $50. If you took pics of damages you could apply for damages through them up to insured value.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: May 13, 2021 10:58:05 am
  • Spa-fon said:
    Keep in mind also refund from USPS. At $7 it was possibly Priority which insures at least $50. If you took pics of damages you could apply for damages through them up to insured value.

Nope, believe it was a Gemini first class.

Good ideas, I would have led with the swap (and gladly accepted it if he did have one) if I had read it in time.

He agreed to half off and refunded $30. I would rather have the gradable book than refund but I think there's a saying about how in fair resolutions either both or neither party is happy :p
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Black Widow and Hawkeye Issue # 1g
  • Evoluzione Publishing's Ma’ari Issue # 3
  • Tidal Wave Productions's Milestones of Art: Keith Haring - Next Stop Art TPB # 1
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths: Trouble in Tijuana Issue # 1