feature requests

Characters they've ruined (Comic Book Forums)

• Characters they've ruined

Author Discussion
  • Posted: April 14, 2021 9:55:03 am
  • Was just going through some of my old comics and started realizing that a lot of characters I use to really like have been ruined by their publishers (well really mainly the writers are at fault). I always enjoyed the X-Men of the late 80s-90s. But these characters are pretty much dead to me now ... Bishop, Shatterstar, Iceman, Jubilee, Gambit, and Magneto. So much damage has been done that I don't think there is any possible way they will ever redeem them.

What characters in comics are you guys mad (or sad) about them ruining for you?

Last edited April 14, 2021 9:56:11 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: April 14, 2021 2:30:30 pm
  • Meh, I'm mostly ok with change and growth and trying something different. It bothers me more when plotlines that seemed to be developing are dropped for no reason or simply left unfinished.

For example - i love that Rogue and Gambit got married. Actually, i was incredibly surprised they pulled the trigger and did that, and I was stoked when they let it stick. I loved the Mr. and Mrs. X book, and am ravenously reading their scenes in Excalibur. And by the same token, it will p*ss me off when they inevitably wipe away their marriage with little fanfare so they can do something else with them.

On the flip side, take the short and ill conceived Kitty X Star Lord engagement. It made no sense, and was rushed from the beginning. And it ended without explanation so they could set up a Kitty X Colossus engagement, which was just as rushed and ended just as quickly. Those stories just made no sense whatsoever.

I guess in short, I'm ok with growth/change as long as it is organic and makes sense, and sets up a good story. I get upset when it's rushed, makes no sense, or leaves a dangling thread that the writers thought was just too much work to tie up.

Last edited April 14, 2021 5:08:13 pm
  • Posted: April 14, 2021 3:29:17 pm
  • @Rapha1978: I agree with the ones you mentioned. Anyone can read the old Iceman stories and see that he was quite the lady’s man. So he just woke up one day and turned homosexual? Pretty sure that’s not how it works.

Same with Kitty Pryde. She always had a strong love for Colossus. Now she’s bisexual? Makes no sense. It would be like a writer making Northstar heterosexual when he’s always been sexually attracted to men.

I used to really like Carol Danvers as Ms. Marvel...not so much as Captain Marvel.

Hinting that Logan, Scott, and Jean are in a polyamorous relationship is so out of character, I don’t even know where to begin.
  • Posted: April 14, 2021 6:42:08 pm
  • logerine said:
    Hinting that Logan, Scott, and Jean are in a polyamorous relationship is so out of character, I don’t even know where to begin.

Oh man that one is so horrible. Characters like Wolverine, Sabertooth, and Deadpool were a lot more interesting when we didn't know so much about their lives. I feel like that mystery is gone and writers are doing things like what you mentioned because they have no ideas left to keep the characters going.

I'll add Spider-Man to the list. After "One More Day" I lost interest. I mean some of the newer stories have been fun but nothing like what Spider-Man was like before pre-2007.

Last edited April 14, 2021 7:13:55 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: April 15, 2021 12:12:39 pm
  • I haven't read any new Marvel books (except Avengers) for a while. I'm lost for words at logerine's reveal that Logan, Jean Grey and Scott are in a throuple. What?
  • Posted: April 19, 2021 3:15:55 pm
  • I wasn't a huge fan of when Robert Kirkman had Rick Grimes hand cut off by the Governor in the Walking Dead. Maybe it made him tougher and more resourceful to learn how to live with only the one though. It was the same for me with Jamie Lannister in Game of Thrones. He was one of my favorite characters because he was such a good swordsman and fighter and then they cut his hand off and he was a shell of his former self after.

I also hated the way Kirkman had Negan swearing all the time. I'm not against bad language, I just thought it was to overused and over the top and unnecessary. It's like, nobody would talk/swear like this in these situations I don't think lol. It just seemed forced to me.
    nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: April 25, 2021 11:58:24 pm
  • I'm more of a DC fan, so here's some from that direction. . .

Probably the most disappointing treatment of a character (for me) by DC has to be Azrael. The current incarnation of Azrael is so far from the original that it isn't even really the same character. Which is too bad, because Azrael was a really interesting character, and he USED to be one of my favorites. Azrael stories today just make me a bit angry. Thank goodness they've become few and far between. Comics should be fun, not frustrating.

The same could probably be said about Huntress. She's gone through so many changes that it's not even really the same character. I'm not as big a Huntress fan as I was of Azrael, but where I used to look forward to a good Huntress story, now I'm just "Meh".

Tim Drake (Robin III) hasn't fared very well either. DC can't really decide what to do with him, so he's a character that's just sort of swingin' in the wind. At this point, I've pretty much given up on him as well.

Last edited April 26, 2021 12:00:38 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: April 27, 2021 11:03:27 am
  • One of the few series I read (GotG) now has Hercules in a lover relationship with Marvel Boy. Not sure Hercules was ever gay or Bi, for as long as I've been reading Marvel books he has always been a ladies man. Not saying they ruined the character, but why make changes like this on a character that has been around forever with a rooted history.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: April 27, 2021 11:37:30 am
  • Wait, Hercules is gay now?? One of the male heroes in Marvel history who wouldn't even be able to walk around in 2021 without getting arrested for making sleazy passes at every woman he sees? That Hercules?
  • Posted: April 27, 2021 2:14:52 pm
  • Far as I know he’s the original... unless a new one has been introduced in some book I have never read.

• Posted: April 28, 2021 11:55:32 am
  • MacheteF7 said:

I also hated the way Kirkman had Negan swearing all the time. I'm not against bad language, I just thought it was to overused and over the top and unnecessary. It's like, nobody would talk/swear like this in these situations I don't think lol. It just seemed forced to me.
    Having served in the Navy I have met people that made Negan sound like a schoolgirl, lol. A common expression would include a sentence that had an adjective, noun and verb that was nothing but swear words (the blanking blankers blanked).
  • Posted: April 29, 2021 12:28:37 pm
  • Canuck said:
    Far as I know he’s the original... unless a new one has been introduced in some book I have never read.

I totally missed this somehow. Did this happen in just the last issue (i haven't gotten around to reading that one yet, likely tonight), or did I just miss this somehow because I was skimming too quickly one night, or reading drunk?

In any case, Herc being gay wouldn't really be too far from the source. Acient Greeks didn't have the stigma associated with that we do now, they pretty much didn't give a about sexuality.
  • Posted: April 29, 2021 1:00:42 pm
  • I just don't understand why Marvel is spending any time organizing a fashion show? What is the point? And people are selling this FREE show on EBay now for $5.00??

Please just write cool, fun and interesting stories about super-heroes. Please?? I'm begging you.

Last edited April 29, 2021 1:03:10 pm
  • Posted: April 29, 2021 2:51:30 pm
  • Tex75455 said:
    Canuck said:
    Far as I know he’s the original... unless a new one has been introduced in some book I have never read.

I totally missed this somehow. Did this happen in just the last issue (i haven't gotten around to reading that one yet, likely tonight), or did I just miss this somehow because I was skimming too quickly one night, or reading drunk?

In any case, Herc being gay wouldn't really be too far from the source. Acient Greeks didn't have the stigma associated with that we do now, they pretty much didn't give a about sexuality.

It happened several issues ago. Maybe I was seeing things Confused Shocked

• Posted: April 30, 2021 8:22:25 am
  • logerine said:
    Has this already been posted here?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/x-men-hellfire-gala/

Actually, some of those designs i quite like. Nightcrawlers is cool. Wolverine just looks like Patch. Laura's is aiight as well.

Others, however, are pretty .
  • Posted: April 30, 2021 4:36:56 pm
  • logerine said:

So much cringe. Especially Iceman's fabulous dress. . . Rolling Eyes

Last edited April 30, 2021 4:40:12 pm
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: April 30, 2021 4:42:41 pm
  • brucifer said:

Please just write cool, fun and interesting stories about super-heroes. Please?? I'm begging you.

Except for Star Wars, I've kind of given up on Marvel. That said, I AM looking forward to the new Moon Knight series, so there's still a bit of a Marvel fan in me hanging on.
  • Posted: May 2, 2021 12:14:17 pm
  • Temporary costume changes ruin characters? Rolling Eyes
  • Posted: May 3, 2021 9:52:16 am
  • logerine said:
    I guess you like what you like. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 😂

https://youtu.be/QfFN2zDJxNc

Tex75455 said:
    logerine said:

Actually, some of those designs i quite like. Nightcrawlers is cool. Wolverine just looks like Patch. Laura's is aiight as well.

Others, however, are pretty .

HAHAHAHA, hysterical
  • Posted: May 5, 2021 12:06:59 am
  • junobeach said:
    Temporary costume changes ruin characters? Rolling Eyes

Temporarily. . .
26 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 61 years, 40 days, 6 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • AfterShock Comics's Silver City Issue # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters - Alpha Issue # 1bigtime-b
  • A Wave Blue World's The Orphan King Issue # 1
  • IDW Publishing's Transformers Issue # 30b