feature requests

Key Collector Comics Website (Comic Book Forums)

• Key Collector Comics Website

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 20, 2020 5:50:43 pm
  • Does anyone here go to https://www.keycollectorcomics.com/?

In general sense, I have been browsing for a key collector comic website. Mainly, I am looking for future hot key comics.

I am not totally satisfied with https://www.keycollectorcomics.com/

It has not yet "hooked" me on getting and/or purchase monthly subscription. I just could not find anything I like to continue. Yes, I did tried out 1 week free trail.

Does anyone have other websites?

Thanks,
    -Adam
  • Posted: January 29, 2021 3:32:29 am
  • I do like keycollectorcomics for the data on vintage titles and what the keys are for series, agree they are a 'predictive' site at all. I like the fact they are strict over what they consider a 'key'...you go to some sites and everything is a key these days!

I tried sellmycomicbooks...it's a portal for the owner to try and get people to offer him cheap collections, the same existing books rehashed into his 'hot 100' with links to ebay. no such thing as a free lunch.

I haven't found anything that predicts current issues. I think it's really difficult to pick what is going to be hot. We weren't running around snapping up every copy of ASM300 back in the day and by the time 361 came around it was 'oh, it's red venom' I don't remember anyone going this is HUGE!!!

Foresight is difficult
  • Posted: January 29, 2021 10:47:58 am
  • Rohan said:
    I tried sellmycomicbooks...it's a portal for the owner to try and get people to offer him cheap collections, the same existing books rehashed into his 'hot 100' with links to ebay.

You know I hadn't looked at that site in many months. I have to agree with your take on it and rescind my recommendation. No new content in forever.
  • Posted: January 29, 2021 12:03:07 pm
  • sellmycomicbooks seems like a site where people who inherit a collection of comics and know nothing about them go to sell them. These guys come in and make them an offer and usually they get the books for cheap as the person that inherited them think a few hundred dollars is more than I thought they were worth.
    I believe a year or so ago someone on this site sold them some books and said they got ripped off as he was offered X amount for his books and he accepted, but when sellmycomicbooks got the books in there hands they started low balling the original offer, he said it was a terrible experience.

Last edited January 29, 2021 12:06:17 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: January 29, 2021 2:42:13 pm
  • The OP wants someone who is predicting new books, so perhaps we should be looking for someone who called out Nyx #3 upon release or soon after.

That would be a good call!

There is a gentleman that I really enjoy call Walter Durijilia on DailyComicBooks - he previously did a post on undervalued vintage books. Loved it, informative, educational, increased my scope of interests and went deeper than ‘buy this, it’s hot’ it talked about why things are hot and by trying to unravel that he makes the argument for why it’s so difficult to call it. It doesn’t fit the OP’s requirement but it is great reading.
  • Posted: January 29, 2021 3:17:03 pm
  • I don't think anyone can call a a key book as soon as it comes out. Collectors make a book a key issue by buying and selling along with things like tv or movies.
    The only way you can add books before they become more valuable is to just buy them as they are released, and if you're a someone that just collects to sell for profit then you'll have to buy multiple copies as they are released.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: January 29, 2021 3:29:33 pm
  • Canuck said:
    I don't think anyone can call a a key book as soon as it comes out. Collectors make a book a key issue by buying and selling along with things like tv or movies.
    The only way you can add books before they become more valuable is to just buy them as they are released, and if you're a someone that just collects to sell for profit then you'll have to buy multiple copies as they are released.

spot on! When we look back it was extremely difficult to call key books (ask millions of us with X-Men #1, X-Force and X-Factor #1's from the 90's). It takes decades for a character to take hold and for them to become part of popular culture.

You'd have to be a bit of a superhero or have mutant abilities to be able to walk into a bookshop right now and say 'yes, I'll take every issue of Scumbag you have, for this will be huge in 10 years time when it becomes a Netflix movie starring Stary McHandsome in the best acting of his career'.
  • Posted: January 29, 2021 6:37:30 pm
  • @Rohan - thank you for your feedback. Much appreciate it. Learned something. Smile
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Sam B. Anson's Santa's Secrets Issue nn
  • Marvel Comics's Spider-Woman Issue # 6
  • Absolute Comics Group's White Widow Issue # 4eccc
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine and the X-Men Issue # 2b