feature requests

Is Marvel more Collectable than DC? (Comic Book Forums)

• Is Marvel more Collectable than DC?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 29, 2020 12:11:19 pm
  • Just a thought that popped up . . . In terms of price fluctuations, it seems to me that Marvel seems to be more "collectable" than DC. Some of the biggest jumpers in value over the past couple of years (and I speak under correction as I'm not a expert), has been Marvel based.

It seems like every time Spidey buys new underwear, the first appearance of said undies, jumps in value. I'm sure Batman has changes in costume, but that doesn't seem to garner the same attention.

I may be wrong, but would like to hear what the community thinks about it and also why that would be the case in your opinion?
  • Posted: November 29, 2020 1:09:42 pm
  • simple, marvel has waaaay more advertising lol...and backed by a proven, intelligent company, where DC simply is not...

i mean advertising by way of Movies popularity, news relays, etc... If Marvel movies were bad, nothing would move...but they arent, they are the standard for Super Hero movies...

Bringing these old characters to life so perfectly on the big screen attacts may different generations of people to these characters, and from there your company popularity rises..

Dont be surprised if characters like Spider-Man (miles), Ms. Marvel (kamala), Wasp (nadia), Miss America (Chavez), Nova (Sam), amonst many others start going even crazier in the near future, then they are now...the youngest generations are growing up with those versions as their characters...once they get older and into invest mode, there will most likely be another huge spike in those newer characters...

Buy Em Up Now lol...
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions

Strange Tales #169 CGC 6.0 - 1st Doctor Voodoo
    Thor #33 CGC 9.8 - 1st Tarene as Thor Girl
    Thor #440 - 1st Thor Corps (Team)
    She-Hulk #3 2nd Print - HTF Doom Cover
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #2 2nd Print - 1st Ganke Lee

• Posted: November 29, 2020 5:50:01 pm
  • They made their characters a bit more relatable. I think one advantage is having set their superheroes in New York, Chicago, etc, translates better than "Metropolis, Gotham, Star City, etc.
  • Posted: November 30, 2020 10:18:07 am
  • I think they are both equal in terms of collectability. Keep in mind though that the most valuable comics ever to be collected/sold are from DC... Batman's first appearance in Detective Comics #27 and Superman's first appearance in Action Comics #1 continue to go up every year.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: November 30, 2020 1:33:02 pm
  • DC has been doing comic books for much longer than Marvel. Marvel movies have been much better than DC in the last few years. Will that make a difference? Time will tell.

I'm not 100% sure who the winner is right now, but I have been "Feeding The Index" a lot in the last few weeks and there are about one trillion different Venom cover on EBay. Not to mention Wolverine, Spider-Man, Thor and Strange Academy.

In comparison DC has oodles of Batman, Dceased and Man Who Laughs variants.
  • Posted: November 30, 2020 8:42:56 pm
  • brucifer said:
    DC has been doing comic books for much longer than Marvel. Marvel movies have been much better than DC in the last few years. Will that make a difference? Time will tell.

I'm not 100% sure who the winner is right now, but I have been "Feeding The Index" a lot in the last few weeks and there are about one trillion different Venom cover on EBay. Not to mention Wolverine, Spider-Man, Thor and Strange Academy.

In comparison DC has oodles of Batman, Dceased and Man Who Laughs variants.

DC dates back to 1935 and Marvel to 1939.

The Human Torch and Namor debuted about 18 months after Superman.
  • Posted: December 1, 2020 5:29:27 am
  • Action Ace said:

DC dates back to 1935 and Marvel to 1939.

The Human Torch and Namor debuted about 18 months after Superman.

That is interesting . . . I never knew that, thanks. I thought DC started out in like 1938 but they'd obviously been doing other comics prior to Superman's debut. I also thought Marvel started out much later. Seems there is even more that I don't know than I thought I didn't know! LOL
  • Posted: December 1, 2020 12:46:01 pm
  • I agree with Canuck. Marvel sure did release some comic books before 1961. Characters like Namor, Captain America and Human Torch (under the Timely banner?) were on Magazine racks all over the States..
    For the vast majority of us readers/collectors, Marvel officially started in 1961. Thanks Stan Lee!
  • Posted: December 3, 2020 8:08:55 am
  • Marvel started off known as Timely, then Atlas, then Marvel...but the same ownership. DC was National Periodical for decades, then finally in 1977 made the official switch to DC Comics. There's a lot of interesting comic book history, and I'll be a student for life!
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 60 years, 147 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Papercutz's Ariol: Where's Petula? Soft Cover # 1
  • DC Comics's Superboy and the Ravers Issue # 1b
  • DC Comics's The Final Night Issue # 1b
  • Seven Seas Entertainment's The Kingdoms of Ruin Soft Cover # 2