feature requests

Differences Between Different Collector Sites (Comic Book Forums)

• Differences Between Different Collector Sites

Author Discussion
  • Posted: October 21, 2020 11:03:15 am
  • Don't let the title throw you for a loop. What I'm referring to is essentially this:

On CBR we can look for a particular volume of book (i.e. Astonishing X-Men Volume 2 (https://esee.ly/Hz0ec3) ) which is indicated as Volume 2. Now when we go to a different site, say ComicsPriceGuide.com, and search for the same volume it seemingly doesn't exist. After looking at it deeper, I did find the same volume but it's listed as an actual Mini-Series (https://esee.ly/5conlR).

My concern is when something like this happens, it causes CBR to show the mini-series as an actual volume of book whereas other sources show it as just a mini-series. How does everyone else handle this when categorizing your collection?
  • Posted: October 21, 2020 4:44:33 pm
  • well first you need to understand that the publishing companies make mistakes in volume numbering all the time...i cant think of any examples off the top of my head atm so i apologize for that. As for Our volume numbering, they are numbered via Our catalog only...so if there are 3 titles named Deadpool, they are labeled 1, 2, 3...so that our users (the community) knows a couple things...1. where said title lands aka you got vol 2 #1, but thought you were getting vol 1 #1, you know that it is in fact the 2nd series...2. so our library doesnt get convoluted and confusing because of the way things land alphabetically it keeps everything in a nice easy to use order, not all over...with the 2nd reasoning we got a TON more requests of things that were already in the system but in a goofy place because of other circumstances in numbering or lettering.

Moral of the story, we follow our own volume numbering (like a real life library) so that users of our site can find things with ease..

with that all being said, we still Try to follow publisher voluming, and for the most part we do, but there are instances where it doesnt make sense...

Last edited October 21, 2020 5:29:33 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Silver Surfer 16 - B.A. Mephisto Cover!
    Secret Wars #7 2nd Print - Virgin Doom Cover!
    Fantastic Four and Power Pack #4 Newsstand - Doom Cover!
    Thor #4 3rd Print - Galactus Cover
    Spawn #309 2nd Print - Gunslinger Cover
  • Posted: October 21, 2020 5:48:07 pm
  • I got you. I didnt mean for that to come across as your way of being wrong or anything. Its my OCD brain that stresses on it and was mainly curious.
  • Posted: October 21, 2020 7:38:45 pm
  • oh no, i didnt think you came across negatively, i thought you were looking for why we do it how we do it... if not, then i answered wrongly lol...

ill try this way Sabretooth Vol. 1 (in our system) probably is listed as Sabretooth Mini on a different site...to us the ST mini is technically vol. 1 since it is only ST as the title...if we listed it as mini, it would move do a different place in the list and may not be in a spot that people expect it to be so they post in the missing forum...then we as mods have to find it to prove its here, just not in an organized spot lol...i hope that makes more sense...Very Happy

Last edited October 21, 2020 7:46:58 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Silver Surfer 16 - B.A. Mephisto Cover!
    Secret Wars #7 2nd Print - Virgin Doom Cover!
    Fantastic Four and Power Pack #4 Newsstand - Doom Cover!
    Thor #4 3rd Print - Galactus Cover
    Spawn #309 2nd Print - Gunslinger Cover
  • Posted: October 23, 2020 3:07:28 pm
  • As someone with slight OCD myself, I appreciate how difficult it is for yall to keep this all in line. I know sometimes it shifts too, as something that was v. 4 a few years ago may shift over to v5 as yall decide to include something else as a series rather than a mini. I just ran into this with current runs of Quantum and Woody, which I think used to be labled as v. 1 + starting at the Valiant relaunch, but seem to have jumped in numbering recently with a decision to include previous volumes from the 90s as the earlier volumes

Moral of the story is im just following yalls numbering, and made the decision to just track the whole collection that way, so at least I have some consistency.
  • Posted: October 28, 2020 3:22:17 am
  • This is just anecdotal, but I'm the only person in my family and amongst my friends that has ever collected comics so had no clue of how the volume numbering worked (this was many years ago). We didn't have comic stores, so you had these bins where you'd just buy a bunch of different comics. I used to just list everything alphabetically, from the lowest to highest number . . . until I ran into two comics with exactly the same title and number but completely different otherwise . . . was fun trying to make sense of that until I realised that I was just looking at a different volume of the same title Very Happy . . . mind blown! LOL . . . now they renumber every dang chance they get! I would've been lost had I started collecting now!!
  • Posted: October 28, 2020 3:22:19 am
  • Internet Issues . . . pressed save more than once Very Happy

Last edited October 28, 2020 3:23:39 am
  • Posted: October 28, 2020 3:22:21 am
  • Yup

Last edited October 28, 2020 3:24:19 am
  • Posted: October 28, 2020 3:22:23 am
  • Can one delete comments? . . . only editing the duplicates now Very Happy

Last edited October 28, 2020 3:25:34 am
  • Posted: October 28, 2020 3:22:24 am
  • Last one!! Sorry 'bout that. I could only delete the last one.

Last edited October 28, 2020 3:27:31 am
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 58 years, 171 days, 12 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Buster Brown Shoes's Buster Brown Comics Issue # 43stones
  • Dragon Lady Press's Classic Adventure Strips Issue # 7
  • Western Printing Co.'s March of Comics Issue # 18b
  • Western Printing Co.'s March of Comics Issue # 80d