feature requests

shipping comics, media mail (Comic Book Forums)

• shipping comics, media mail

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 26, 2020 7:18:54 pm
  • hi! i know you cannot ship comics via media mail because of the ads (silly but whatever) - would it be ok to ship indie comics this way if there are no ads?
  • Posted: September 26, 2020 9:11:13 pm
  • the problem you will run into if they randomly check your package is that it will charge the addressee the difference...so the customer gets charged and that may not bode well in feedback...

On the flipside tpbs and hcs i do ship media and have had no issue...me personally will not test regular issues as the $1ish difference isnt worth it to me.

Last edited September 26, 2020 9:12:18 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: September 27, 2020 8:42:25 am
  • so you are saying that even if they are indie comics w/o ads, the PO may assume they do have ads without looking?

anyway, just curious. i don't/won't commit mail fraud but always found the rule re: ads sort of goofy, especially with old comics and their irrelevant 20 year old ads!
  • Posted: September 27, 2020 8:48:19 am
  • I don't know for sure obviously but I think if they open it n see a comic it'll get tagged...they won't go page by page to check the book
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
  • Posted: September 27, 2020 7:51:34 pm
  • good point.
  • Posted: September 28, 2020 5:26:36 pm
  • you interpretation is not how i interpret that rule...it is specifying ads...which TPBS/HC dont typically have...They would be safe to send Media...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
  • Posted: October 5, 2020 12:08:41 am
  • SwampThing said:
    so you are saying that even if they are indie comics w/o ads, the PO may assume they do have ads without looking?

anyway, just curious. i don't/won't commit mail fraud but always found the rule re: ads sort of goofy, especially with old comics and their irrelevant 20 year old ads!

Yep, my postmaster is a d*ck and will check all boxes coming to me if they're media mail, and if they are he'll pump the postage up to Priority Mail, hold them, and charge me the extra shipping, at the highest flat rate, when I'm forced to come to the P.O. and get them. So I tell all sellers to ship via First Class for small orders and PM for bigger ones and invoice me the difference. Most do, some won't, some will charge me and ship by Media Mail anyway, and the last group gets negative feedback. I hear ALL post offices will soon be "cracking down" on "media mail abuse", and everyone who buys comics online will be getting nailed soon.
  • Posted: October 5, 2020 8:28:44 am
  • i don't ship using media mail as i'm not interested in the hassle that may ensue nor commit fraud, was mostly curious about commercial-free indie stuff...sounds like a no go. not a huge deal, just was wondering.
  • Posted: October 6, 2020 1:33:16 pm
  • Priority mail at least has $50 of insurance, which is nice. I never ship media mail (so...if you want cheap shipping, look elsewhere). As a former Army postal clerk, media mail went to the bottom of the stack and was thrown in wherever it fits. It doesn't have a guaranteed delivery date, and often wouldn't get pitched (delivered) until "magazine Saturday" when regular volume was low. Not worth the risk in a market where buyers hold the cards on whether a book was delivered well or not.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Titan Comics's ATOM: The Beginning Soft Cover # 7
  • Marvel Comics's Fantastic Four Issue # 19c
  • IDW Publishing's My Little Pony: Kenbucky Roller Derby Issue # 3b
  • Schanes & Schanes's Unicorns Issue set a