feature requests

Gerry Conway "Cancel Every Existing Superhero Comic" (Comic Book Forums)

• Gerry Conway "Cancel Every Existing Superhero Comic"

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 25, 2020 10:19:57 am
  • You know I saw that news yesterday and honestly I am so fed up with people in the comic book industry having absolutely no clue how to fix the issues they're facing ... I am tired of their complaining and half solutions, and Gerry Conway is no exception. Some may not agree with me but most of them are part of the problem because they allowed the industry to become what it is under their watch.

Let's look at the solutions Conway offers;

1. "I'd cancel every existing superhero comic book, and publish a limited new line for a Middle-Grade readership, simplify characters and storylines, and eliminate every "event" that requires more than passing familiarity with the basic simplified continuity. Ten-fifteen titles."

If you cancel every book and eliminate every event that ever happen, what makes you think anyone is going to want to continue reading? This is one of the problems already facing comics today. Readers are already dropping books because there is no respect for continuity. Important stories get written off and titles get rebooted every few years just so the next lazy writers don't have to do the background work.

2. "For existing readers, I'd offer a separate, higher priced graphic novel line with whatever expanded adult storylines creators and readers want to explore. But this would be separate. Not monthly."

I am an existing reader. 99% of what I read are issues. I don't buy graphic novels because I actually enjoy visiting a comic book shop every week. That's part of the comic book culture, hanging out at the shops and getting to know people there. Graphic novels are for when you missed out on issues or did not pick up a series when it was being published monthly. They have a place but anyone who is serious about comics prefers issues over graphic novels. Do this to existing fans and you will lose readership.

3. "I'd do *everything* possible to get monthly comics into supermarkets and movie theaters and Walmart and Target and Costco and offer subscription services through Amazon."

This is the only one I can agree with somewhat, but the problem is the cost. I brought up in other threads here at comicbookrealm.com in the past that the industry should go back to newsprint and bring cost back down. When I was a kid and comics were sold at supermarkets, gas stations, and drug stores, we weren't paying more than .50 and .75 cents an issue. I remember when they went to $1.00 and that was considered high for a kid, but we were still buying them. I saw that once the cost went to over $2.00 an issue a lot of the younger readers lost interest. Today comics are selling for nearly $5.00 an issue. I love comics and will pay the prices, but for someone younger I am sure they don't have a hard time choosing between $10 for two hours of entertainment at the movies, or $5 for 15 minutes of reading entertainment. Anyone can see that what they are currently doing is not going to help the industry. Even if they get comics into Target and Cosco, most will see the jacked up prices and won't be interested.

Sorry if I am ranting but again I am so tired and fed up with the comic book writers/artists/editors of today. They are out of touch. If they want to save comics for future generations, it is easy. Just ask us. Ask the long time readers what they want to see happen. We have been reading and collecting this format for longer than most of the hired staff at Marvel and DC. We can offer ideas and solutions that make more sense than what goes on in a board room meeting. Until they understand that without us there is no them all I can expect is more of the same.

Last edited September 25, 2020 10:20:49 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: September 25, 2020 11:34:21 am
  • I think he admitted he was part of the problem, a fanboy coming in and doing what he would like to read not what was being done at the time.
    I can see his point in just starting all over from scratch, because that's what you need to do to get the young readers to start looking to comics as a form of entertainment, but the price must come down and they need to be made accessible everywhere not just at specialty shops.
    This won't do anything for us older readers so that's where the OGN stories would come in. Creators would just do an original story that usually takes up 4- 6 issues and release it in TRPB/GN format and would be released 2-3 times a year. They would continue with the past history that us older readers want to follow.
    I would be all for this, then I could pick up a complete story by a creator that I like and not have to be buying a bunch of issues just to keep my series complete.

This rebooting every year or two is tiresome and the major crossover events are just a money grab...something needs to change or comics will be gone soon.

DC is starting to cut back on it's monthly's and printing more stuff aimed at 10-13 year olds and with there Black Label line doing the adult stuff. Maybe Marvel will follow suit, but so far the House of Mouse continues to pump out a large volume of monthly's.

Last edited September 25, 2020 11:49:41 am
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: September 25, 2020 7:03:43 pm
  • I have an easier solution lmao...fire every superhero artist and writer completely, let them live in the gutter to come back to reality, meanwhile bring in new EXCITING artists and writers and just do another Do-Over like they do every year anyway because the old fartsy artists/writers hands start to hurt and they cant think of any Good stories because they are stuck in their old oopsie poopsie ways...

personally i have a few storylines that would be STELLAR to read...unfortunately i am not a writer...but i could definitely give them some solid ideas if they want to pay me lol...

must suck to have to draw cartoons for a living lmao...

Last edited September 25, 2020 7:07:09 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: September 25, 2020 9:27:53 pm
  • It's a simple problem. Since the late 1990s when Warren Ellis was writing his "Come in Alone" column, much of the comic book industry, it's creators and the media have been focused on one thing. How do we get rid of the people who currently come in every Wednesday to buy comics and replace them with a different audience?

How do they fire their current customer base and get a large enough new one? And can they do it in a month?

This also reminds me it's time to renew my Kill Conway Club Membership.
  • Posted: September 27, 2020 5:07:16 pm
  • AmZoMBiE said:
    I have an easier solution lmao...fire every superhero artist and writer completely, let them live in the gutter to come back to reality, meanwhile bring in new EXCITING artists and writers and just do another Do-Over like they do every year anyway because the old fartsy artists/writers hands start to hurt and they cant think of any Good stories because they are stuck in their old oopsie poopsie ways...

personally i have a few storylines that would be STELLAR to read...unfortunately i am not a writer...but i could definitely give them some solid ideas if they want to pay me lol...

must suck to have to draw cartoons for a living lmao...

When it comes to hiring new “talent” (I put talent in parenthesis for a reason), current day Marvel and editor, SANA AMANAT, says “don’t bother submitting to us; we will find you”—I’m paraphrasing. But they search the internet, social media, etc. to be sure the “talent’s” politics aligns with their own agendas. Instead of hiring truly talented writers to script entertaining stories, Marvel just looks to hire people based not only on their politics but also how they look. If a character is gay, the writer must be gay. If the character is a Muslim, the writer must be Muslim. If the character is a feminist female....well you get the point. I’m not sure that Marvel even cares about making money off their comic books anymore. As long as their movies are making billions, they are fine with that.

I have focused my comic book entertainment on independent crowd-funded books. It’s not for everyone. I understand that. But as long as DC, and especially Marvel, keep churning out their heavy-handed political propaganda, I’ll continue to support indie creators.

And on a side note, take a peek at Manga. It’s interesting to see them thriving while Marvel and DC flounder.
  • Posted: September 27, 2020 11:25:13 pm
  • logerine said:
    Instead of hiring truly talented writers to script entertaining stories, Marvel just looks to hire people based not only on their politics but also how they look. If a character is gay, the writer must be gay.

This was exactly the problem I found with the horrible "America" series. Marvel hired a writer based on her sexual orientation and race that had ONE novel to her name that took her a decade to write. The series was predictably laser-focused at a specific audience and also predictably short-lived.

I got a TON of e-mail and private messages calling me racist, homophobic, and misogynist over my review of America. But truthfully, it's like the great Huey Lewis said: " Sometimes bad is bad". Hiring a writer based on her race and sexual orientation is just bad.

And not for nuthin' but the artist they hired on America because he was Hispanic was pretty bad as well. . .in my extremely humble opinion, of course.

Last edited September 27, 2020 11:28:15 pm
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 243 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Pez International's Pez: Incredible Hulk - Power of Paragon Issue nn
  • Schanes & Schanes's Strange Issue set a
  • Marvel Comics's War Machine Issue # 6b
  • Marvel Comics's X-men '97 Issue # 2c