feature requests

QUESTION For the Slabbers here. . . (Comic Book Forums)

• QUESTION For the Slabbers here. . .

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 29, 2020 3:17:47 pm
  • I call upon your wisdom! Please educate me!

So it's my birthday tomorrow and my comic lovin' daughter hit the comic shop and bought me a couple of comics I've had my eye on for a while. One of them is Fantastic Four #58, because I love that SWEET Doctor Doom cover! (AmZoMBiE knows what I mean).

ANYWAY. . .

That pic up there isn't mine. I'm not in my office to scan it. Mine has an English 10d price and is slabbed and graded at 8.0 by PGX.

And there is my question. What's the difference between PGX and CGC? I don't plan on selling this comic, but I'm interested in knowing how having something graded by PCX affects the "value" of this comic.

Thanks in advance to anyone chiming in. Applause

Last edited July 29, 2020 3:18:58 pm
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: July 29, 2020 3:38:21 pm
  • From what I've gathered reading forums, it tends to go CGC>CBCS>PGX as far as reputation and pricing go. Others may know more, of course.
  • Posted: July 29, 2020 3:38:40 pm
  • I'm not a "slabbing" expert, but CGC seems to be the best at what they do. PGX has had some complaints about their grading services in the last couple of years.
  • Posted: July 29, 2020 3:56:12 pm
  • Again, I'm not a slabbing expert either, but I doubt having it graded/slabbed by PGX is going to hurt the value unless they really over graded it.
    Now being a foreign release that should have made it cheaper to begin with.

Last edited July 29, 2020 4:02:33 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: July 29, 2020 6:44:05 pm
  • PGX phased in then phased out...im not even sure if they are around anymore (they very well could be) any sales i see on ebay are Significantly lower then the CGC counterpart. You can always resubmit it to cgc. Google how to dismantle the case properly then resub it...

fyi i have it (american edition), Would LOVE that one lol but wont pay a premium for PGX, and i love that cover...lol

Last edited July 29, 2020 6:46:56 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: July 30, 2020 2:24:07 am
  • Canuck said:

Now being a foreign release that should have made it cheaper to begin with.

I'm not sure that's 100% correct, but I speak under correction. I've read that the UK prints were printed in the US but with their (UK) currency and generally printed first as the intention was that they be released more or less at the same time.

I'm sure some of you have more info than I do?
  • Posted: July 30, 2020 5:16:16 pm
  • That sorta vague comment about foreign pricing also tweaked my interest a little.
    Would that be considerd a "variant" that's valued LESS than the regular American priced version?

I've always thought that maybe foreign priced comics would be worth MORE because there's less of them out there.

And getting back to the meat of my question. . .
    Thanks for all the great information! Applause

But I'm still a bit lost on WHY PGX rated comics are sort of looked down on (at least from what I;ve seen here so far). It DOES seem that they rated the comic about a point too high. . .but that's based on the knowledge of someone who generally doesn't sell a lot of comics,. Are they known for over-rating on their grades?

Is there any sort of an agreed-upon "matching point" between CGC and PGX? A sort of PGX rating X = CGC Rating Y kind of conversion?

I'm just really curious because I have a small handful of CGC graded comics floating around my collection, but I've never seen a PGX graded one before.

Last edited July 30, 2020 5:20:14 pm
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: July 30, 2020 5:39:25 pm
  • From my experiences there is a definite negative tone about PGX, probably from a number of scandals and bad reports years ago.

I have had identical books, one in a trade, PGX 5.0 and one a CGC 4.5. The CGC I sold for $1500, the PGX I finally sold for $450. I won’t buy any PGX now.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: July 30, 2020 6:33:57 pm
  • atom said:
    That sorta vague comment about foreign pricing also tweaked my interest a little.
    Would that be considerd a "variant" that's valued LESS than the regular American priced version?

I think it has mostly to do with what collectors want, especially in North America
    Give this a read - https://blog.hobbydb.com/2017/03/28/marvel-comics-pence-price-variants/

I guess I'm saying if I was buying a book for investment I would want a North American release and not a foreign release, and if I had the choice of the 2 books in front of me at the same cost I would take the NA release. And I think most hardcore collectors would do the same.
    Now you ask a UK collector and you may get the opposite answer

Last edited July 30, 2020 7:05:57 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: July 30, 2020 7:13:08 pm
  • I think with graded books value = trust in the company...so CGC is the most trusted company (even though i think they grade on a curve, which i like...canuck does not lol)...i vaguely remember a PGX scandal years ago and they lost a TON of interest in community members with it...i dont remember details anymore but i do remember something...lol (doesnt help there i know)...CGC i think was the first company to offer this service, and being as it may people have become familiar with both how they grade and how to submit them (though recently that has changed). They offer many different services and are a bit more expensive of a service then the other companies...but IMO worth it...I only buy CGC because I trust them 100% to take care of my submittals, and to come close to grades i expect when i submit...

Oh and the part that EVERYONE ignored...HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!! lol...sorry bout that.

Last edited July 30, 2020 7:14:42 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: July 30, 2020 7:20:24 pm
  • We did get off topic. Happy Birthday Atom!!
  • Posted: August 1, 2020 11:46:08 pm
  • AmZoMBiE said:

Oh and the part that EVERYONE ignored...HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!! lol...sorry bout that.

brucifer said:
    We did get off topic. Happy Birthday Atom!!

Thanks! Very Happy

Last edited August 1, 2020 11:46:50 pm
  • Posted: August 3, 2020 8:32:02 am
  • Heya Atom-

I found this story from 2006 that looks like PGX and a reseller were in cahoots to buy books, trim them, grade them high without restoration, and then resell them. Not sure where it went from there, but the damage to their reputation seems to have lingered. http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX/?PGX
13 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Deadpool-Verse: Deadpool Corps TPB # 1
  • Image Comics's Feral Issue # 1e
  • Marvel Comics's G.O.D.S. Issue # 6e
  • Studio Brie Comix's The Clique Issue # 4