feature requests

Success in Polybags? (Comic Book Forums)

• Success in Polybags?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 29, 2020 8:04:45 pm
  • So recently Miles Morales has been beyond HOTT...to ridiculous measures...Not complaining, I have most the expensive ones, like Ult Fallout and such...but being realistic lol...

Strayed a little off topic there for a sec...Since Miles popularity surge, his 2nd appearance (Ultimate Comics Ultimate Spider-Man #1) has also surged to mountainous proportions...my question to you all...or anyone reading and wants to respond people...Besides the recent hit on this Polybagged book, has any polybagged comics really ever panned out? Are there any other gems in polybags...??

Now i want to specify, I'm not talking about ult fallout style where they simply put a clear bag on the book in some instances (that's the copy I had prior to grading it)... I'm talking the special bagged ones...you know which I'm talking... let me know if anyone can think of any...I'm curious and drawing a blank lol
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: June 29, 2020 10:30:48 pm
  • X-Force #1 vol.1. polybagged with the Cable or Deadpool card.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: June 30, 2020 4:12:40 am
  • That's a gem polybag? That's less then a $6 book isn't it?...I'm talking a gem...a book worth a decent amount...personally I don't consider that one a gem...yes better then the shatterstar card edition...but argueably about the same value +/- a couple bucks right?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
  • Posted: June 30, 2020 1:48:22 pm
  • Well considering that X-Force #1 is not a rare comic and sold somewhere in the hundreds of thousands or maybe a million copies, I can't remember... $6-8 is pretty good. Quite remarkable for something like that. Also I'm just going to state this but be aware that keeping an issue in the polybag will eventually cause more damage to it over time than to take it out. When this trend started happening in the early 90s, I think it was about a decade later collectors started noticing the bags detiorating from the inside, sometimes even yellowing. They're cheaply made.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: June 30, 2020 5:42:53 pm
  • i agree with everything youve said...at the same time mine are all still in their original bags, but they dont move...its the moving them around, not protecting them that does the most damage...sure you still get that line in the back where the fold is, but that presses out when/if i decide to take them out...

but back to my original question...are there any gems that have now or even then, become valuable...im hard pressed to remember or know of any...lol
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
  • Posted: July 1, 2020 6:01:32 am
  • Sorry AmZoMBiE for highjacking your post a bit here, LOL. So what are you guys actually saying . . . should one remove polybagged comics from their polybags or not . . . does CGC do polybagged comics, since they can't actually gauge the condition of a comic without opening the bag?

Regarding your actual question . . . I know there was the Death of Superman that came out in a poly . . . went for around $20 at some point . . . also a Batman series, (something to do with Arkham), that came out with a poly but had some really cool stuff in the bag. I've opened both though (was never planning on selling in any case).

How would opening the poly in cases like this affect the actual value (just out of interest)?
  • Posted: July 1, 2020 10:18:21 am
  • To answer your CGC question, they remove the polybag before grading
  • Posted: July 1, 2020 7:58:32 pm
  • i just got my uf4 back from cgc...they will remove the bag for you...but raph is correct, over time the bag actually ends up damaging the book in a lot of cases...the fold on the back of the bag indents into the comic (pressing takes that out, but still damages it). Im not sure who the 'they' are...but they say its better to remove books from the bags for that reason...i believe the only bag that doesnt have or do that is the Fan Four Death of Torch polybag...because it doesnt have that back fold.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
  • Posted: July 2, 2020 7:54:28 am
  • Cool, time to bust open some pollies! LOL
  • Posted: July 5, 2020 11:33:06 pm
  • AmZoMBiE said:
    I'm talking the special bagged ones...you know which I'm talking... let me know if anyone can think of any...I'm curious and drawing a blank lol

Fantastic Four #587 had a couple of pretty "valuable" variants hidden under a ploybag. Not Miles Morales "Valuable", but not Longbox Junk, either.

Last edited July 5, 2020 11:36:34 pm
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: July 6, 2020 6:04:22 pm
  • well those FF4 ones actually had the polybag variants...as in the polybags looked different too..for the signed copy and what not...i cant remember now what the difference was, but there was a way to tell if it was that expensive signed edition by the way the logo on the polybag was...i read something way back, just cant grasp the memory in full anymore lol...getting old lol

other then that...good add, i would definately add that one to the success side of the list...good call...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
  • Posted: August 4, 2020 9:40:37 am
  • Superman #75 does...OK now. It was selling for more the day it came out and nearly caused the collapse of the entire industry, but hey, what's a few millions speculation copies between friends?Brick wall
12 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Cable Issue # 2
  • Image Comics's Descender Compendium TPB # 1
  • Skybound's Duke Issue # 4c
  • Marvel Comics's Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale: Hulk - Gallery Edition Hard Cover # 1