feature requests

The Death & Rebirth of Print Single Issues (Comic Book Forums)

• The Death & Rebirth of Print Single Issues

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 8, 2020 12:03:15 pm
  • Interesting read Canuck. The article is obviously only one person's opinion, but it will make you think.
  • Posted: June 8, 2020 12:15:01 pm
  • That's true, and he does make some good points.
    I think I would prefer the larger format with a variety of characters and stories... I would go one further and add a reprint story as well and make it 100+ pages.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: June 8, 2020 2:22:14 pm
  • Sounds like Jenette Kahn's justification for the Dollar Comics back in 1978. It failed. People don't want to pay for backups for characters they don't want to read. See DCs extra 8 page features from about a decade ago for a more recent example. DC had to eliminate them and run them as their own Specials for characters like the Atom and Jimmy Olsen.

There are Worlds' Finest chapters involving characters like Green Arrow, Vigilante and the Creeper I still haven't read even though I bought the comic more than 40 years ago.

I've spent at least a thousand dollars on new comics every year for the last thirty years. The floppy format is the only one I'll support. I'm ready to walk away and never look back.
  • Posted: June 8, 2020 2:34:27 pm
  • The only way to save the floppy format is reduce the cover price to $1 - $2...at $4 a book the cost outweighs the value/entertainment. Or increase the page count to 80 pgs and sell for $4. Kids have better things to spend there money on than a comic for a 10 min read...

• Posted: June 9, 2020 9:24:44 pm
  • That's the thing..where do you draw the line? I can't say that I've sat down, and thought..'Is this comic worth the $3.99(or more)' that I'm paying for it? I guess it must be, if I'm buying it. Although, I've never considered if a book(that I don't currently get), were cheaper..would I buy it? If some of the titles I've considered were a buck or two cheaper, would I get them? That's a tough one. I know that I would be elated if all of my titles(other than Spawn) were a little cheaper. I'm not sure if I would pick up other titles if they were cheaper. Personally, I don't look at the price when I'm deciding on a book. I either like it enough to buy..or I don't. I know that $30 or $60 is going to give me a considerably smaller stack of comics, than when I started collecting. I've excepted it. Perhaps I'm too willing to accept things as they are but..I feel that if I want that book, I gotta pay what they want.
    I may have said this before but, would collectors be willing to pay less for a book, if it went back to newsprint paper, and not the glossy stuff? I've always had a fondness for the newsprint ones but, looking at the newer glossy pages in comparison, I've really gotten used to them, and enjoy them, and I suppose these new books are superior than the 'old' ones, arguably. That being said, I personally think that I would be willing to take the 'downgrade' and go back to newsprint pages, if it meant the book were $1.99, or $2.99. But I digress...
  • Posted: June 10, 2020 1:36:24 pm
  • I remember back in the mid '90s when Marvel started offering Regular or Deluxe options with some of their titles. I think for comic books today, that would be a swell idea. Deluxe (or glossy) would have a higher cover price. The Regular (or newsprint) would be the exact same comic book, but with much cheaper paper and maybe half the price? I would certainly be more inclined to pick up more titles if the cover price was lower.

I don't think over-sized books (like 80 or 100 pages) works as well due to the cover price. I remember many moons ago you could pick up a monthly Detective book for $1.00 (double the normal cover price) with 68 pages. The first story was Batman. The rest featured Batman Family (ie. Batgirl, Elongated Man, Green Arrow, etc) back-up stories. Unfortunately the back-up stories usually were not that good.

Large reprint books featuring an assortment of your favourite characters should definitely be cheap! Print those books on newsprint (they are reprints after all and won't be worth much). Kind of like a mini TPB. There's a reason why TPB's sell well.

I guess my main point is for the comic book companies to keep printing books that we want to read. I, for one, have never read a digital comic book, nor will I ever!!
  • Posted: June 10, 2020 3:30:15 pm
  • I follow a few indie creators on twitter, and a lot of them are producing 48-page perfect bound editions—funding them on Indiegogo and kickstarter.

I backed this one last month: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shinobi-sasquatch-book-one/x/23719121#/

Maybe it is partially a generational thing, but I think a lot of comic book consumers today are a bit more impatient and want a complete story sooner rather than months (or even years) later. I grew up on monthly single issues and was fine with it, but I do see the appeal of getting a complete story all at once.

• Posted: June 10, 2020 4:55:28 pm
  • The big reason comics are dying is there are very few young readers willing to spend $4 on something that gives them 10-15 min of entertainment. One of the few things keeping them going is the flippers and all the variants and selling them to the diehard collectors. For the most part collectors like myself are aging out and moving on, I bet the average age for users on this site are in 35-40 years of age.

• Posted: June 10, 2020 5:42:05 pm
  • Canuck said:
    The big reason comics are dying is there are very few young readers willing to spend $4 on something that gives them 10-15 min of entertainment. One of the few things keeping them going is the flippers and all the variants and selling them to the diehard collectors. For the most part collectors like myself are aging out and moving on, I bet the average age for users on this site are in 35-40 years of age.

I agree. What’s your opinion on the future of brick and mortar comic book shops? Looks bleak to me.

On the other hand, the future of comics looks bright for crowdfunding artists and writers. Build a brand, a great product, be punctual on delivering the product and costumers will buy your books. Dan Fraga, Ethan Van Sciver, Doug TenNaple, Brian Pulido, Doug Ernst, Cal Jameson, Kyle Ritter and Richard Meyer are just some creators who’ve found huge success in the world of crowdfunding. Some of those names are polarizing for sure, but their ability to run campaigns that generate over hundreds of thousands of dollars is undeniable.
  • Posted: June 10, 2020 6:12:04 pm
  • Just like I expected my LCS informed me he is no longer getting DC due to shipping costs.
  • Posted: June 11, 2020 11:20:17 am
  • I have a dire feeling that your LCS will not be the only one not carrying any new DC comic books. Very sad.
  • Posted: June 12, 2020 1:34:47 pm
  • I have quite a few "Baxter paper" comics in my collection from the 80s. Anyone know what happened to that idea? I dislike the glossy comic paper as it's really difficult to read in any kind of direct light. I also don't care for newsprint as the color saturation suffers. So for me, and YMMV, Baxter paper was a great choice.
  • Posted: June 12, 2020 2:56:08 pm
  • Yeah the Baxter paper was the best for me as well.
    I think DC has been doing some of there Deluxe books on it recently and they do look good. See this series - https://comicbookrealm.com/series/50460/0/dc-comics-doomsday-clock
    I think Baxter Paper would be cheaper than the Gloss Paper but you would have to change the way they are colored.

• Posted: June 12, 2020 3:02:38 pm
  • I work (and live with, and am married to...) an artist, and I _think_ she told me once that glossy paper saves on ink as it doesn't absorb. So you're 100% right about changing print methods.
15 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Ghost Rider: Final Vengeance Issue # 2d
  • DC Comics's Knight Terrors: Harley Quinn Issue # 1syndicate-b
  • Marvel Comics's The Uncanny X-Men Issue # 485b
  • Caliber Entertainment's Witness to War: The Journal of Anna Krieg Soft Cover # 1