feature requests

Whitman in the70s and 80s (Comic Book Forums)

• Whitman in the70s and 80s

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 25, 2020 10:36:49 am
  • Way back when the whitman 3 packs were released every 6 months esp in the late 70s, early 80s, most Marvel books were demarked by a white diamond price box and either a blank UPC box or a bar across, which also later became how the direct issues were first introduced.

We all know the Battlestar Galactica 3 pack, the Star Wars 3 packs, but 2 generations removed there are tons of books out there that were sold and arent getting there due, or there rarity acknowledged

• Posted: May 27, 2020 10:42:31 pm
  • Aren't Blank UPC codes reprints?
  • Posted: May 28, 2020 8:51:47 am
  • Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It was inconsistent. Usually reprints had the word reprint in the picture box in the top left corner on Marvel comics.

• Posted: May 28, 2020 6:33:27 pm
  • even that was hit and miss btw...example: original Marvel Star Wars series...Very Happy and i dont think any of the Marvel main series reprints stated reprint on the cover. They were the Black Diamond/Blank Barcode variants (which i believe storm was referring to). DC on the other hand used the actual Whitman logo instead of the DC logo or in place of...

Last edited May 28, 2020 6:36:31 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: May 28, 2020 10:44:52 pm
  • AmZoMBiE said:
    even that was hit and miss btw...example: original Marvel Star Wars series...Very Happy and i dont think any of the Marvel main series reprints stated reprint on the cover. They were the Black Diamond/Blank Barcode variants (which i believe storm was referring to). DC on the other hand used the actual Whitman logo instead of the DC logo or in place of...

Yes, that is exactly what I was referring to. Many years ago a dealer told me that the Star Wars comics with blank UPC codes were reprints and I naturally made the assumption from then on to regard all blank UPC codes as reprints.
  • Posted: May 29, 2020 7:39:22 pm
  • You know in thinking about this more, even the Warner Bros. Whitman comics (i think either by dell or gold key, cant remember) (Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, etc.) didnt state reprint either...i think only the Star Wars did that...Granted without researching more (only going on memory) i very well could be wrong...

Ive done a lot of work to try to add all the whitmans, though im sure i am missing some...if you guys come across any, let us know in the missing forum and they will get added...

Beers, I am curious what you mean by 'getting their due'? You mean you feel they are undervalued on the site? in the community? please elaborate...

Last edited May 29, 2020 8:13:27 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: May 29, 2020 8:47:56 pm
  • I think the Whitmans are finally getting noticed in the larger collecting community as are some of the later Gold Key funny books. While the very rare ones have plateaued in price for now, there are people who are still looking for them.

Those unopened packs are getting harder to find and its interesting to see which books are in there. These packs are 40-50 years old and there is a growing niche of collectors who are search for every different print of a book.

Roll, Wave, Roll!
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Seven Seas Entertainment's Killing Stalking Soft Cover # 6
  • DC Comics's Nightwing Issue # 113b
  • Yen Press's The Reformation of the World as Overseen by a Realist Demon King Soft Cover # 3
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine: First Class Issue # 5b