feature requests

Question about comic distribution (Comic Book Forums)

• Question about comic distribution

Author Discussion
  • Posted: April 3, 2020 6:48:25 pm
  • Hey everyone! Something I've been curious about, over the years. When I got into collecting comics(mid to late 80's), I remember discovering them at convenience stores, and drugstores, we never had a comic store in my town(we still don't, although a couple people have tried). Anyway, my question is, how did it work, and why did it change? So, back then, you had the 'newsstand' edition(with the barcode), and the 'direct' edition(from comic stores), and there was, I'm assuming Diamond, and maybe a few other distributors? How/why did they stop being sold in drugstores/newsstands and only directly to the comic shops? Was it a 'Diamond-thing' where since they're practically the only or main distributor, and they only ship to comic stores? Or, are there other reasons why the distribution of comics went the way it has? I think I faintly remember before where, if a non-comic-store didn't sell all of their copies, the ripped the covers off, and sent them back, retaining some of their cost.
    I'm really curious to learn how things use to be, or how they changed, and why. Although buying comics in a non-comic-store was iffy, as to how much abuse they'd been through, being looked at by.. knows how many people, obviously, it's limiting the exposure by only being available through a comic store and not other outlets, as well.
    Anyway, I hope that all makes sense. I look forward to learning about ths. Thanks guys, and gals! Take care,
    K
  • Posted: April 4, 2020 12:44:57 pm
  • What an excellent read!! It took some time but was totally worth the while!! That should answer ALL of Yoshi2001's questions. Thanks Canuck!!
  • Posted: April 4, 2020 1:23:03 pm
  • You must be bored if you read all that already, must be 20 plus pages. I think it ends here - https://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg118.html
    I haven't read this in a few years, I may have to read it again now that I have some free time.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: April 4, 2020 4:57:33 pm
  • Thanks for the read, Canuck(I'm still reading...).
    So far, I'm not sure if I have a better understanding of what went down, or more questions, lol.
    I am now reading about DC Comics and their distribution of comics.
    Crazy stuff!
    Thanks again!
    K
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Udon Entertainment's Darkstalkers: Jedah Issue # 1b
  • DC Comics's Green Lantern: War Journal Issue # 8
  • Renegade Arts Entertainment's Shout Kill Revel Soft Cover # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Ultimate Black Panther Issue # 2 - 2nd print b