feature requests

Future of printed comics (Comic Book Forums)

• Future of printed comics

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 25, 2020 10:52:23 am
  • I have noticed Alterna doing the newsprint books with a 99 cent cover price.
    I think what they're probably doing is getting new talent at a low cost so there expense isn't as great as say DC or Marvel. For up and comers it gets there foot in the door so they can sell their work to the bigger companies.
    If DC or Marvel did go to the newsprint they may be able to cut the cover price in half. Doing that may increase sales as I and many collectors would pick up books they normally wouldn't. Back in the 80's I used to pick up just about everything Marvel put out along with a lot more DC, DH and Image stuff.
    But I doubt they go that way...

Last edited March 25, 2020 12:24:39 pm
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: March 25, 2020 11:09:25 am
  • I'm really hoping that after this pandemic is done (?) that many people won't be driven by greed as much. With so many people affected worldwide we need to change the way we look at things. I'll keep my fingers crossed!!
  • Posted: March 25, 2020 11:36:04 am
  • Rapha1978 said:
    logerine said:
    Alterna Comics got you covered. Smile

Thanks for posting that. I had never heard of them before and it looks like what they are doing is exactly the direction I had mentioned earlier. I'd like to see the industry go back to newsprint and bring down their printing costs. The 90s brought us glossy pages and gimmick covers that hurt our wallets ever since. One of the best thing's about collecting and reading comics pre-1990 was that it was affordable so that kids could buy them even with a small allowance.

No problem. Hope you check out some of their books if the material appeals to you. Also, Peter Simeti, the founder and publisher, is very friendly and interactive with the customers. Super nice guy.

Some of the competition has not taken nice to him though and has sought to destroy him. You can read about it here: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/02/13/peter-simeti-of-alterna-comics-was-swatted-last-night/

Last edited March 25, 2020 11:37:05 am
  • Posted: March 25, 2020 12:03:52 pm
  • Rapha1978 said:
    logerine said:
    Alterna Comics got you covered. Smile

Thanks for posting that. I had never heard of them before and it looks like what they are doing is exactly the direction I had mentioned earlier. I'd like to see the industry go back to newsprint and bring down their printing costs. The 90s brought us glossy pages and gimmick covers that hurt our wallets ever since. One of the best thing's about collecting and reading comics pre-1990 was that it was affordable so that kids could buy them even with a small allowance.

Alterna Comics is putting out some surprisingly good stuff for the price. I did a Longbox Junk Review of the first Alterna Comics I discovered, and I've picked up a few more since based on what I saw.

Check out my review of Mother Russia (Nazis! Zombies! Zombies!) if you want a little taste. . . https://comicbookrealm.com/atom/blog/1487/longbox-junk-mother-russia
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: March 25, 2020 12:19:37 pm
  • Thanks for the article logerine.

I'm baffled that "swatting" is a thing people do!! I had never even heard of that term until today.

Calling in a SWAT team on someone falsely is a horrible idea. Whether you agree with Peter Simeti or not, pulling potentially deadly pranks is NOT the way to go. And over comic books? Come on people!!

Last edited March 25, 2020 12:20:14 pm
  • Posted: March 25, 2020 12:27:27 pm
  • I'm definitely going to have to check out some of those Alterna Comics.

Most of what I am reading today is in the $3.99-$4.99 price range per issue. Several titles a week is costing me over $45 a month, and then the cost of bagging/boarding them brings it up a little higher. If comics were under $1.99 I would be inclined to add more titles, maybe try different comics I would not normally put in my pull list.

Canuck, you hit it on the nail when you mentioned how in the 80s you were able to pick up just about every title Marvel released. I remember it like that too. All the cool crossovers were happening then. The industry needs a change, and maybe the best thing would be to cut costs, go back to what was selling comics back then. No one cared they were printed on newsprint. The story lines and characters were enough to keep our interest.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: March 25, 2020 12:30:03 pm
  • brucifer said:
    Thanks for the article logerine.

I'm baffled that "swatting" is a thing people do!! I had never even heard of that term until today.

Calling in a SWAT team on someone falsely is a horrible idea. Whether you agree with Peter Simeti or not, pulling potentially deadly pranks is NOT the way to go. And over comic books? Come on people!!

Glad you enjoyed the article. I agree with what you said. What was done to him was absolutely terrible. Some people will do crazy stuff just because they differ politically, ideologically, or sometimes just for fun. It's beyond sad. Peter was near suicidal over what he experienced.
  • Posted: March 26, 2020 12:37:32 am
  • Rapha1978 said:
    I'm definitely going to have to check out some of those Alterna Comics.

Most of what I am reading today is in the $3.99-$4.99 price range per issue. Several titles a week is costing me over $45 a month, and then the cost of bagging/boarding them brings it up a little higher. If comics were under $1.99 I would be inclined to add more titles, maybe try different comics I would not normally put in my pull list.

That's what I'm sayin' Applause

I picked up all three issues of Mother Russia new on the stand for $4.50!
    I think Alterna is definitely on to something. Hopefully they'll be able to ride this disaster out.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: March 26, 2020 2:10:01 pm
  • AWA Studios - Artists Writers & Artisans, is a new Indy company that released a couple comics last weeks. With Diamond halting their shipping due to the virus, AWA put up one of their comics The Resistance #1, free digitally on their website: https://awastudios.net/

Written by J. Michael Straczynski with art by Mike Deodato Jr.
  • Posted: March 27, 2020 1:29:55 pm
  • That story hits pretty close to home for what's going on in the world today...Shocked
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

22 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Cable & Deadpool Issue # 43
  • DC Comics's Detective Comics Issue # 1083
  • Marvel Comics's Miles Morales: Spider-Man Issue # 18d
  • Image Comics's The Six Fingers Issue # 2