feature requests

Future of printed comics (Comic Book Forums)

• Future of printed comics

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 23, 2020 3:23:12 pm
  • Just to let some of you out there know that I mailed out a package of two CD's to a dude in Austria from Toronto, Canada on Friday. The package showed up in MY mailbox today (Monday) with a sticker on it: "Return To Sender. Temporary Suspension of Postal Service."

Looks like overseas deliveries are being postponed for now. If you are expecting something in the mail from far away, don't hold your breath. It's not coming!!

I can still mail out to Canada and the States, but almost nowhere else right now. This disruption will mess with some of you. Not much we can do in these strange times. Sigh.
  • Posted: March 23, 2020 8:43:15 pm
  • Yeah...this might be the death nail in a lot of stores. If only they wouldn't have to pay rent for the month or two...but most will likely close up shop as they cannot afford to survive. Then, how many who have a weekly pull are going to have the hundreds of dollars needed to get their list when it finally does ship? Or are the publishers just not going to print and instead just keep churning out content and not printing until we are done?
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: March 24, 2020 3:33:44 pm
  • The Comic Book Companies might need to turn there attention to making Toilet Paper. Seems that there is a greater need for it compared to comics and in some places and to some people it just may be worth more. lol
    Also, just wanted to say I have not seen any Zombies around as let, although I have not ventured to the Down Town area.
  • Posted: March 24, 2020 5:15:01 pm
  • waz said:
    The Comic Book Companies might need to turn there attention to making Toilet Paper. Seems that there is a greater need for it compared to comics and in some places and to some people it just may be worth more. lol
    Also, just wanted to say I have not seen any Zombies around as let, although I have not ventured to the Down Town area.
    There is no toilet paper shortage. Only idiots panic buying. I'm sure you were just joking, though

Last edited March 24, 2020 5:15:56 pm
  • Posted: March 24, 2020 6:37:26 pm
  • What a sad time in comics. Diamond became a monopoly as there are no other distributors in the comic book world that can compete. And in this economy I doubt another will step up in it's place. It's just too risky now that postal services have been affected. One solution would be to go entirely by truck delivery, but that can get expensive and also it leaves out foreign sales.

If Marvel is offering a discount to retailers I'm wondering if the consumer will also see some of that? I would think that to stay afloat publishers are going to need to bring down their prices. During the Depression comics were printed on newsprint. Maybe they need to go back to that. Bring down the cost of $4.99 an issue to $1.50. Another thing was that in those times they did not pay their talent as much as they do today, even by comparable standards. I know a lot of creators will cause an uproar and put up a fight if they weren't making as much per page, but if they want their craft and careers to survive they will have to accept those sacrifices until things return to normal.

Comic books are not the only form of entertainment being affected. The movie industry is losing billions right now as movie theaters have been closed and openings have been postponed. When times are tough people are less inclined to want to spend on something that is not a necessity.

Last edited March 24, 2020 6:42:57 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: March 24, 2020 7:56:17 pm
  • Nothing like a pandemic to show the flaws in a system. Brick wall

I wish they went back to newsprint.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: March 25, 2020 3:01:16 am
  • Canuck said:
    Nothing like a pandemic to show the flaws in a system. Brick wall

I wish they went back to newsprint.

Alterna Comics got you covered. Smile
  • Posted: March 25, 2020 9:58:20 am
  • logerine said:
    Alterna Comics got you covered. Smile

Thanks for posting that. I had never heard of them before and it looks like what they are doing is exactly the direction I had mentioned earlier. I'd like to see the industry go back to newsprint and bring down their printing costs. The 90s brought us glossy pages and gimmick covers that hurt our wallets ever since. One of the best thing's about collecting and reading comics pre-1990 was that it was affordable so that kids could buy them even with a small allowance.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: March 25, 2020 10:21:00 am
  • Rapha1978 said:
    I'd like to see the industry go back to newsprint and bring down their printing costs. The 90s brought us glossy pages and gimmick covers that hurt our wallets ever since.

Do you think that they would lower the cost of the comics? I think they are happy at $3.99 and have it split where it needs to go. If they went back to newsprint and ultimately lowered pricing, I would think they would just pocket the money.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
22 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Yen Press's 15 Minutes Before We Really Date Soft Cover # 2
  • HooligansCO's Faro's Lounge Presents: Happy Harley Days Issue # 1
  • DC Comics's Jay Garrick: The Flash Issue # 6d
  • Al Barrett's The Justiciary Issue # 16