feature requests

Why slab a comic? (Comic Book Forums)

• Why slab a comic?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: February 4, 2020 1:58:52 am
  • Hey everyone, this kind of ties in with a prior question from a member on how to choose which comic to slab? My question is why slab a comic in the first place?

For me, the only reason why one would slab a comic is in order to sell it, surely? It gives you an "objective" valuation of the condition of your comic and makes it easier for the next person wanting to buy it.

In terms of the argument of ensuring the continued quality of the comic, what would be the difference to putting your comic in a quality mylar casing to protect it vs paying a premium to slab a comic that you'll then never have the benefit of reading again (unless you're planning to open the slab and throw away what you paid to slab it first time around)?

So I may be way off and would appreciate input / correction when I say that I'd rather then get a good quality mylar to protect my books (and still be able to enjoy my comics) unless I'd choose to resell?
  • Posted: February 4, 2020 12:51:46 pm
  • I've collected comics for over 40 years and have never slabbed one or wanted to purchase one that way. I know a lot of you do but I'm of the older generation I guess and feel like comics are meant to be read and enjoyed. I have comics from the 1930s that I have learn to properly handle and turn pages. If there is a reason to slab I would think it would be to preserve the item and keep it from ever being read. Someone without the proper knowledge on handling old books or pages, especially newsprint, could easily destroy it. So for this reason I would say slabbing a comic would be ideal.

Last edited February 4, 2020 12:53:59 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: February 4, 2020 2:27:38 pm
  • Unless you are going to sell the comic book "slabbed", I don't think there is any solid reason to do it.
    Read your comic books, don't just collect them!! I have seen way too many slabbed books with ridiculous prices. For the price of one slab, you can go out and buy a nice old Bronze comic book OR a slightly less pristine Silver Age.
  • Posted: February 4, 2020 4:12:14 pm
  • I'm with Rapha and Brucifer on this one to a certain degree. I don't sell books so I have no reason to slab them and I don't really buy slabs. The only reason I would get a book slabbed was if it had sentimental value to me and I wanted to preserve it. If I bought Daredevil #1 say, I would carefully read it, and then probably slab it to preserve it and if I ever wanted to read it again I would read the facsimile copy. But to slab say, Daredevil #158?? I'm good, I'll just keep it in a regular bag and board and be careful with it.

Now....with all that said I have bought one slab of a book that I really wanted and I have sent one book to CGC through my LCS because it had value to me. So I do own two slabs. Will I ever buy/send more? Probably. But I will never have boxes and boxes of slabs. They take up to much room also lol.
    nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: February 4, 2020 6:19:01 pm
  • I slab books with No intention of selling. I slab them to keep them safe from when its slabbed til the end of time lol...Conservation...no profits needed for the keepers. I also display books and want No sun damage, the cases are UV protected.

FYI guys...you can read essentially every comic online...you dont need to thumb through books and potentially damage them in the process.

Last edited February 4, 2020 6:31:53 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Graded, Awaiting Return
    Batman #89 - Cameo Punchline - Signed 2x - CGC 9.8

Submitted, Awaiting Grades
    Vengeance #1 1st America Chavez
    Young Avengers #1 1st Young Avengers
    Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #1 1st Lunella Lafayette
    Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1 1st Blue Marvel
    Savage She-Hulk #1 1st She-Hulk
    Spider-Man Noir #1 1st Spider-Man Noir
    Wolverine Origins #10 1st Daken
    Ultimate Fallout #4 1st Miles Morales
  • Posted: February 5, 2020 1:05:59 pm
  • Primarily for me it is to display - The extra protection of entombing makes me feel safer displaying certain comics. I purchased my X-Men 94 slabbed because I wanted to have it sitting out where I can see it...I have an 8 year old so the extra protection makes me feel a little better.

Secondary - To sell. Submitted 9 books to CGC last month. 3 will be displayed, (Hulk 340, Wolverine 1 and Wolverine mini 1) the other 6 will be sold to offset the cost and hopefully add a little $$ to buy more comics.
    Fly By Night Paranormal Investigations
    Serving Iowa, Nebraska and surrounding states.
    www.fbnparanormal.com
  • Posted: February 5, 2020 2:35:44 pm
  • I thought that slabs need to be replaced every five years or so due to damage from off-gassing. I know CGC recommends that.
  • Posted: February 5, 2020 8:25:03 pm
  • Once I heard you were supposed to re-slab your books every 5-10 years I was out with a capitol O. CGC does their job fine, but who in the can afford that?
  • Posted: February 5, 2020 9:50:20 pm
  • Is that referring to the new cases? or the old ones. I have never heard that honestly.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Graded, Awaiting Return

• Posted: February 5, 2020 10:14:24 pm
  • I think it has something to do with the micro chamber paper that they insert into slabs to absorb nasty stuff and lengthen the life of the comic - eventually it gets nasty.
    Probably more of an issue for older comics that are already going down the road of yellowing or other damage.
    Fly By Night Paranormal Investigations
    Serving Iowa, Nebraska and surrounding states.
    www.fbnparanormal.com
  • Posted: February 6, 2020 11:33:51 am
  • ...lol...i graded my DD 131 & 168...(oldest i have currently graded) they were 8.0 but white pages...hopefully they last lol
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Graded, Awaiting Return

• Posted: February 6, 2020 12:07:36 pm
  • AmZoMBiE said:
    ...lol...i graded my DD 131 & 168...(oldest i have currently graded) they were 8.0 but white pages...hopefully they last lol

I meant no disrespect towards anyone slabbing a DD#158 or any other keys, I just used that one as an example since its a popular key issue in the series. People can slab all they want, if they're happy then I'm happy for them, it's just not for me really. Smile
    nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: February 7, 2020 1:42:40 pm
  • AmZoMBiE said:
    Is that referring to the new cases? or the old ones. I have never heard that honestly.
    The cases (new or old) are not archival (Mylar) so they will break down and off-gas. White pages would probably start to yellow first.
  • Posted: February 10, 2020 12:58:31 am
  • Wow guys, really appreciate all the feedback and advice on this one. I'm sure many collectors are not aware that the CGC slabs need to be re-slabbed (well, I certainly didn't) . . . I thought it was a once-off thing, or that it lasted longer at least . . .

That begs the question again then, how about getting some of that fancy "poopy-absorbing" paper for your comics and then sticking them in mylar? You'd still have the benefit of reading the comic if you'd like, but hey that's just me. I collect to enjoy my books . . . no shade towards anyone who slabs though.

One thing that these posts have proven, which I've always found so cool about this site and it's people, is that so many are actually just doing this for the love of the medium and that's all that matters in the end.
  • Posted: March 1, 2020 3:18:06 pm
  • I've never been sold on Slabbing comics. To me, read them, enjoy them, just handle with care. We buy them for the stories, the characters, or the art. I've been using Mylar & My-lites since the late 80's early 90's to protect my collection. Slabbing to me is to expensive (exchange on Canadian $) shipping, etc. They take up way more room. I thought they were a long term solution, but now I read that you'll have to repeat the process again in a few years. No Thanks, That's just my thoughts.
  • Posted: March 2, 2020 2:56:54 am
  • junobeach said:
    AmZoMBiE said:
    Is that referring to the new cases? or the old ones. I have never heard that honestly.
    The cases (new or old) are not archival (Mylar) so they will break down and off-gas. White pages would probably start to yellow first.

According to Steve Borock, CBCS slabs are archival and in the inner sleeve is Mylar. Not entirely sure about CGC.
  • Posted: March 2, 2020 2:57:57 am
  • waz said:
    I've never been sold on Slabbing comics. To me, read them, enjoy them, just handle with care. We buy them for the stories, the characters, or the art. I've been using Mylar & My-lites since the late 80's early 90's to protect my collection. Slabbing to me is to expensive (exchange on Canadian $) shipping, etc. They take up way more room. I thought they were a long term solution, but now I read that you'll have to repeat the process again in a few years. No Thanks, That's just my thoughts.

Nothing wrong with that. 👍🏻
  • Posted: March 2, 2020 2:41:04 pm
  • logerine said:
    junobeach said:
    AmZoMBiE said:

According to Steve Borock, CBCS slabs are archival and in the inner sleeve is Mylar. Not entirely sure about CGC.
    If CBCS is mylar and CGC isn't that would be a huge selling point. CGG used to recommend reslabbing after five years but I'm not sure if they changed that when they went to their new slabs.
  • Posted: March 2, 2020 4:46:11 pm
  • I may be changing my position here...having a huge issue with CGC atm...dont want to get into it too much...but if things go south i will blast them on every comic site...I am going to bite my tongue for now...Shame on you
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Graded, Awaiting Return

• Posted: March 3, 2020 2:17:38 pm
  • Well if you have ever seen CGC set up their booths at comic book cons, and seen the kids who work it, I think a lot of people would change their position. Lots of 19 and twenty-something year olds who have probably just started reading comics. I'm convinced they're mainly out to make a profit and keep cash flowing more than they are dedicated to grading. I have seen them miss things and even legitimize fake signatures. If a comic book is really valuable I would more than likely spend on getting it appraised before sending it to them.

Last edited March 3, 2020 2:19:08 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: March 4, 2020 1:16:09 am
  • The main reason I would have my comics graded and slabbed is I am not guaranteed that my kids or eventually their kids will take up the hobby, That means they'll be left with thousands upon thousands of comics, and them not knowing what they're worth or the condition. With any collection/hobby I like to have it self sustaining. So preservation for my kids coupled with the fact I could make enough with resale to sustain my hobby. In a few days, I plan on posting several thousand comics on the forums, not for the money but to downsize a bit and to help out the people of the comic book community finish off sets, or to get that evasive indy or hard to find comic at a very reasonable price
21 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 56 years, 158 days, 8 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Marvel UK's Exploits of Spider-Man Issue # 12
  • Image Comics's God Complex TPB # 1
  • BOOM! Studios's Something is Killing the Children Issue # 1ssco-b
  • Absolute Comics's White Widow Issue # 1g
CBR.com member auction items ?