feature requests

Why slab a comic? (Comic Book Forums)

• Why slab a comic?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 4, 2020 1:16:09 am
  • The main reason I would have my comics graded and slabbed is I am not guaranteed that my kids or eventually their kids will take up the hobby, That means they'll be left with thousands upon thousands of comics, and them not knowing what they're worth or the condition. With any collection/hobby I like to have it self sustaining. So preservation for my kids coupled with the fact I could make enough with resale to sustain my hobby. In a few days, I plan on posting several thousand comics on the forums, not for the money but to downsize a bit and to help out the people of the comic book community finish off sets, or to get that evasive indy or hard to find comic at a very reasonable price
  • Posted: May 8, 2020 11:26:05 am
  • Personally I have a few comics that I may send in to keep them in their current condition and from getting worse. These are mostly going to be ones that I want on display that I don't read (have another less important reading copies). For example I have a blank cover variant that I got signed by Kevin Eastman who drew a picture on the blank side. I have it on display in a regular frame but I would prefer something more secure and will last.

So after reading this forum I looked into it a bit as I was thinking of sending a few in but the re-slabbing would be a big turn off. This is what I found on CGCs website under FAQs. Hope this helps.

Is it necessary to get my CGC book reholdered after a certain number of years?

No. The CGC holder is designed for long-term preservation and provides superior protection for your books. A properly handled and stored CGC-certified book can last for generations.

The CGC holder is made from high-quality materials and is entirely archival-safe. The inner well that holds books, for example, is comprised of PETG, a plastic that is well known to be archival-safe and extremely clear. This PETG well is placed inside of a durable outer case that is sonically welded to ensure a secure, tamper-evident seal. For added long-term preservation, CGC inserts *MicroChamber® paper into vintage books prior to encapsulation. This MicroChamber paper helps to neutralize the natural acidity of some books by using a specialized, proprietary “zeolite” that was designed to absorb and hold the molecules known to damage archival collections. That is why MicroChamber paper is used by many of the world’s most respected museums and institutions, including the Smithsonian Institution, the Getty Conservation Institute, the Louvre, the British Museum and the Northeast Document Conservation Center. To further protect books from the natural off-gassing that releases acidic molecules over time, CGC has a secure sonic seal that is NOT airtight so that acidic molecules are not trapped inside the holder.

*MicroChamber® is a registered trademark of Conservation Resources International, Inc

Last edited May 8, 2020 11:26:49 am
  • Posted: May 9, 2020 8:56:20 pm
  • Poruchny said:
    Personally I have a few comics that I may send in to keep them in their current condition and from getting worse. These are mostly going to be ones that I want on display that I don't read (have another less important reading copies). For example I have a blank cover variant that I got signed by Kevin Eastman who drew a picture on the blank side. I have it on display in a regular frame but I would prefer something more secure and will last.So after reading this forum I looked into it a bit as I was thinking of sending a few in but the re-slabbing would be a big turn off. This is what I found on CGCs website under FAQs. Hope this helps. Is it necessary to get my CGC book reholdered after a certain number of years?No. The CGC holder is designed for long-term preservation and provides superior protection for your books. A properly handled and stored CGC-certified book can last for generations.The CGC holder is made from high-quality materials and is entirely archival-safe. The inner well that holds books, for example, is comprised of PETG, a plastic that is well known to be archival-safe and extremely clear. This PETG well is placed inside of a durable outer case that is sonically welded to ensure a secure, tamper-evident seal. For added long-term preservation, CGC inserts *MicroChamber® paper into vintage books prior to encapsulation. This MicroChamber paper helps to neutralize the natural acidity of some books by using a specialized, proprietary “zeolite” that was designed to absorb and hold the molecules known to damage archival collections. That is why MicroChamber paper is used by many of the world’s most respected museums and institutions, including the Smithsonian Institution, the Getty Conservation Institute, the Louvre, the British Museum and the Northeast Document Conservation Center. To further protect books from the natural off-gassing that releases acidic molecules over time, CGC has a secure sonic seal that is NOT airtight so that acidic molecules are not trapped inside the holder.*MicroChamber® is a registered trademark of Conservation Resources International, Inc

Sort of an aside - if you go CGC to get your signed issue graded, they do not certify signatures that do not take place while they are watching it be signed so it would be downgraded for the signature with a notation "Kevin Eastman written in marker on cover" or get a 'qualified' label.
23 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Kevin Budnik's I Hope This Finds You Issue # 12
  • David Heath Jr.'s No Sex Issue # 9
  • Marvel Comics's Ultimate Invasion Issue # 2-2nd print
  • Marvel Comics's Ultimate Spider-Man Issue # 3f