feature requests

Why slab a comic? (Comic Book Forums)

• Why slab a comic?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: February 4, 2020 1:58:52 am
  • Hey everyone, this kind of ties in with a prior question from a member on how to choose which comic to slab? My question is why slab a comic in the first place?

For me, the only reason why one would slab a comic is in order to sell it, surely? It gives you an "objective" valuation of the condition of your comic and makes it easier for the next person wanting to buy it.

In terms of the argument of ensuring the continued quality of the comic, what would be the difference to putting your comic in a quality mylar casing to protect it vs paying a premium to slab a comic that you'll then never have the benefit of reading again (unless you're planning to open the slab and throw away what you paid to slab it first time around)?

So I may be way off and would appreciate input / correction when I say that I'd rather then get a good quality mylar to protect my books (and still be able to enjoy my comics) unless I'd choose to resell?
  • Posted: February 4, 2020 12:51:46 pm
  • I've collected comics for over 40 years and have never slabbed one or wanted to purchase one that way. I know a lot of you do but I'm of the older generation I guess and feel like comics are meant to be read and enjoyed. I have comics from the 1930s that I have learn to properly handle and turn pages. If there is a reason to slab I would think it would be to preserve the item and keep it from ever being read. Someone without the proper knowledge on handling old books or pages, especially newsprint, could easily destroy it. So for this reason I would say slabbing a comic would be ideal.

Last edited February 4, 2020 12:53:59 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: February 4, 2020 2:27:38 pm
  • Unless you are going to sell the comic book "slabbed", I don't think there is any solid reason to do it.
    Read your comic books, don't just collect them!! I have seen way too many slabbed books with ridiculous prices. For the price of one slab, you can go out and buy a nice old Bronze comic book OR a slightly less pristine Silver Age.
  • Posted: February 4, 2020 4:12:14 pm
  • I'm with Rapha and Brucifer on this one to a certain degree. I don't sell books so I have no reason to slab them and I don't really buy slabs. The only reason I would get a book slabbed was if it had sentimental value to me and I wanted to preserve it. If I bought Daredevil #1 say, I would carefully read it, and then probably slab it to preserve it and if I ever wanted to read it again I would read the facsimile copy. But to slab say, Daredevil #158?? I'm good, I'll just keep it in a regular bag and board and be careful with it.

Now....with all that said I have bought one slab of a book that I really wanted and I have sent one book to CGC through my LCS because it had value to me. So I do own two slabs. Will I ever buy/send more? Probably. But I will never have boxes and boxes of slabs. They take up to much room also lol.
    nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: February 4, 2020 6:19:01 pm
  • I slab books with No intention of selling. I slab them to keep them safe from when its slabbed til the end of time lol...Conservation...no profits needed for the keepers. I also display books and want No sun damage, the cases are UV protected.

FYI guys...you can read essentially every comic online...you dont need to thumb through books and potentially damage them in the process.

Last edited February 4, 2020 6:31:53 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: February 5, 2020 1:05:59 pm
  • Primarily for me it is to display - The extra protection of entombing makes me feel safer displaying certain comics. I purchased my X-Men 94 slabbed because I wanted to have it sitting out where I can see it...I have an 8 year old so the extra protection makes me feel a little better.

Secondary - To sell. Submitted 9 books to CGC last month. 3 will be displayed, (Hulk 340, Wolverine 1 and Wolverine mini 1) the other 6 will be sold to offset the cost and hopefully add a little $$ to buy more comics.
  • Posted: February 5, 2020 2:35:44 pm
  • I thought that slabs need to be replaced every five years or so due to damage from off-gassing. I know CGC recommends that.
  • Posted: February 5, 2020 8:25:03 pm
  • Once I heard you were supposed to re-slab your books every 5-10 years I was out with a capitol O. CGC does their job fine, but who in the can afford that?
  • Posted: February 5, 2020 9:50:20 pm
  • Is that referring to the new cases? or the old ones. I have never heard that honestly.
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: February 5, 2020 10:14:24 pm
  • I think it has something to do with the micro chamber paper that they insert into slabs to absorb nasty stuff and lengthen the life of the comic - eventually it gets nasty.
    Probably more of an issue for older comics that are already going down the road of yellowing or other damage.
23 posts • Page 1 of 3
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Buster Brown Shoes's Buster Brown Comics Issue # 18johns
  • Schanes & Schanes's Elfquest A Gallery of Portraits Issue Info
  • DC Comics's Jay Garrick: The Flash Issue # 6b
  • Schanes & Schanes's Nightmares & Daydreams  Issue daydreams