feature requests

A comic book puzzlement any answers? (Comic Book Forums)

• A comic book puzzlement - any answers?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: January 20, 2020 3:34:46 pm
  • Herein lies the issue. Appreciate any insight I can get.

There are plenty of “documented” printer/bindery errors and variants, such as the original color misprint on Fantastic Four V1 #110 and any of the 30-cent and 35-cent Marvel price variants. The question is how did those issues get “documented” in the first place and/or who “documents” them?

At some point, someone said, “Hey, these are different!” That is the easy part. But then, somehow, it is determined how and/or why the “different” issues were produced and approximately how many there are. How does that part happen?

I have two “undocumented” errors that I have been unable to find any info on and I also have questions about the scarcity of a known price variant.

Does anyone have any idea who to contact or where to search to get information on something like that? I am a competent on-line researcher and can usually come up with something but I have come up completely empty on this one.
  • Posted: January 20, 2020 5:11:51 pm
  • what are the error books exactly and what are the errors?

As for the limited distribution variants, those are not errors. Marvel was doing a Price test in select parts of the country to see if certain books could/would sell for more. They were low print (via Marvel) and very rare, hence the extreme premium.

Last edited January 20, 2020 5:13:48 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: January 20, 2020 5:39:28 pm
  • AmZoMBiE said:
    what are the error books exactly and what are the errors?

As for the limited distribution variants, those are not errors. Marvel was doing a Price test in select parts of the country to see if certain books could/would sell for more. They were low print (via Marvel) and very rare, hence the extreme premium.

This is one I have. I have a copy of Strange Tales V1 #113 (Oct-1963) that was assembled incorrectly at the printer/bindery. Basically, the wraps were stapled in the wrong order so the stories are out of order. Oddly enough, this comic is perfectly readable so there may be a bunch of them out there and folks just do not know it. On the other hand, it might have been caught quickly and only a handful made it out the door. So far, this is the only one I am aware of. Question is, when someone discovers what appears to be an “undocumented” error (meaning no one knows about it), how do you even begin to research it?

I don’t know if links are allowed on this board but will give it a shot. I am building a website for my private collection and I scanned the pages of the error comic along with a normal copy and posted it there.

Link below.

https://dekventures.com/FantasticFour/strange-tales-v1-113-rare-misprint/

I was aware that the Marvel price variants were test runs in limited markets. However, some of them had more limited distribution than others and are consequently scarcer. Question there is, where did the information on those print runs come from? Where do you find that? I found one source (Comichron) that has some info along those lines but it does not break it down that tightly and does not cover all years.

Thanks

• Posted: January 20, 2020 8:16:41 pm
  • not really sure where youd find that info as i dont have it personally, but i do know that it is out there. Somehow people come up with the print run #s. Im going to assume to start your search with Diamond the distributor as they know the amount of orders...

As for the info about the limited distribution books, thats been "common" knowledge in the comic community for years and was corroborated by Marvel as far as i know. Where the original info came from...Sorry but no clue...kinda like who made the first Chicken Crosses the Road joke lol...(maybe easier to find then that...but you get the gist)
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
  • Posted: January 20, 2020 8:58:20 pm
  • AmZoMBiE said:
    not really sure where youd find that info as i dont have it personally, but i do know that it is out there. Somehow people come up with the print run #s. Im going to assume to start your search with Diamond the distributor as they know the amount of orders...

I actually had a Diamond vendor account once upon the day but that is long defunct. They have only been around since 1982 so would not be helpful on the two older issues I have questions about (1963 & 1978 ) but might be a resource for the other (2002) if I could find a way to even contact them. (All they want to do is sell comics - know what I mean?) Maybe I can interest someone at Overstreet or Mile High. Just lookin' for options.

Thanks for the input
  • Posted: January 20, 2020 9:22:28 pm
  • Danel said:
    Maybe I can interest someone at Mile High. Just lookin' for options.
    If you contact Mile High tell them to ship my gosh darn order!! Man are they in the stone ages over there. Their website brings me back to the early days of the internet lol.
    nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: January 20, 2020 9:25:55 pm
  • right lol...terrible lol....

Also if you are a CGC member, i would post something there. Alot of those members are VERY knowledgeable about obscure stuff like these...Doesnt hurt to try.

Last edited January 20, 2020 9:32:16 pm
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
  • Posted: January 20, 2020 9:48:46 pm
  • MacheteF7 said:

If you contact Mile High tell them to ship my gosh darn order!! Man are they in the stone ages over there. Their website brings me back to the early days of the internet lol.

They do indeed have an ancient website. Looks like the code was originally written in 1997 and it does not appear to have been updated much since then. Must suck for smart phone people (don't own one meself.) But, like they say, if it ain't broke...
  • Posted: January 20, 2020 9:52:33 pm
  • AmZoMBiE said:

Also if you are a CGC member, i would post something there. Alot of those members are VERY knowledgeable about obscure stuff like these...Doesnt hurt to try.

Yeah, I am a CGC member and I have a similar question running on that board. One long-time member there agreed that it is a good question but, so far, no answers or leads.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Image Comics's Feral Issue # 1trinity
  • Amphibia Comics's Newt Issue # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Rogue Issue # 7
  • DC Comics's Superman: Ending Battle TPB # 1-2nd print