feature requests

Questions for collectors with doubles and autographs (Comic Book Forums)

• Questions for collectors with doubles and autographs

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 30, 2019 9:02:24 pm
  • Hey everyone,

I'm going through my comics and have been wondering what you guys do with your doubles and 'special' comics(autographed and ones that are really special to you)? Do you keep them all together? Or do you have your doubles(triples...) separately so that they're easier to sell? And how about autographed comics? Again, do you keep them with the rest, or do you have a special place for them, away from all of the others? Maybe the only poopy thing about separating them is that you have to go back-and-forth if you're reading them, but that's fairly minor, I think.
    A few years ago, our house was struck by lightning and caught fire(no, don't worry, the comics were fine, in the basement). Anyway, I pretty much have my 'special' autographed books in a different box so..upon evacuation, it was easy(ier) to take that box than worry about all of the longboxes with that make up the rest of my collection. Fortunately, the restoration company did something right, and put my comics in the sea-can with the rest of our stuff, and they were all ok. I have no doubt that if my signed ones were with them, they would've been fine. It was definitely nice to not have to worry cause I took my 'good/special' box with me. So, I guess I kind of answered my own question, but that brings another to mind. Do you guys display your special ones at home, at all? Whether it's a display case, or say hanging in a shadowbox or something? I get the appeal..you get to constantly see your prized stuff, and it feels very prideful, and such. My worst-case-scenario thoughts of..a fire, or someone breaking in..makes it easy to identify what to go for(theft-wise), but maybe more difficult if you have to get out fast.
    So..I'm looking for thoughts and opinions.
    ATM..I THINK I'm going to separate my doubles, and keep my specials in a different box, set aside. But again..I'm really curious what the rest of you do, regardless.
    Thanks for reading(both comics, and my posts). Take care, everyone!

K
  • Posted: December 31, 2019 12:34:34 am
  • Hey Yoshi, I've had the same question myself. Do I keep my higher value comics separate or don't I? I kind of started doing that and then thought to myself that ALL my comics are actually special to me. If I start ascribing a higher "value" to some then I'm essentially ascribing a lessor "value" to others and that's not what it's about to me. Then there are also those comics that suddenly shoot up in value and six months later their value has plummeted to cover price once again so you're constantly paranoid of having comics that might be "worth" something that is stuck with the rest of your "not-as-valuable" comics and visa versa. Of course, the average value of my comics are probably far less than that of some of the other collectors here and I'm sure I'd change my tune if I had comics that are worth thousands of dollars.

I think it's all about perspective. There is no right or wrong.
  • Posted: December 31, 2019 12:11:40 pm
  • I keep everything in the same boxes. For me it's more important to organize by series/titles in numerical order. What I do with my signed comics is I place white sticker labels on the top right corner (outside the bag of course) and write in the artist/writer who signed, date it was signed, and where it was signed. I bag it with a photograph (which I took) placed on the backside of the back board from the actual signing. Sometimes I include the convention flyers in there too. This is what works for me.

Last edited December 31, 2019 12:12:24 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: January 3, 2020 10:25:00 am
  • I have a few of my absolute favorites in top loaders so they are separate. I rotate them out on a shelf from time to time. Also, my CGC books, which generally aren't my most valuable but they don't fit in a short box so they stay separate. Everything else I put in order. I do go through some and find some covers to take out and display as well.

As for doubles, I try to keep them separate. I use CLZ for cataloging my comics and I don't catalog doubles so I feel I need to double check always when selling. Next time I do a big sort/re-order I'll pay more attention to the doubles. Just putting them in with the others would make me forget I had them.
  • Posted: January 8, 2020 10:22:35 pm
  • On one hand, it makes sense to me to keep all of my doubles separate. And then for my autographed ones..it makes sense to separate them, as well. But then I also like that thought of my highest-value comics being separate too...and then it never ends! Or, where does it end? I was also going to set aside books that I know I don't much care for, and wouldn't mind selling. Then, I'm questioning myself..do I want to sell this, do I want to sell that?
    So, now I'm kinda thinking..to heck with it all, I'll just keep them all together(minus autographed books), and be done with it. Brick wall Lol
    Hey banditbren..How do you like using CLZ? How long have you been using it? Right now, I am only using Comicbook Realm to keep track of my collection, but I would like to try using CLZ, as well. For the most part, I've read good reviews, but I've read a few bad ones too. I guess it's like anything else..good for some, and not for others. *shrug*
  • Posted: January 8, 2020 10:40:59 pm
  • Love it. Seriously for my memory style being able to scroll through all the covers is a huge feature. I paid for it before the new subscription method so I have a lot of features grandfathered in. I may still subscribe to get the values and other features. I could export my entire collection in PDF with thumbnails and send it to you, for example. Very cool feature.

Also super quick to scan in new issues and it warns of duplicates. I caught a few variants I may have missed (second printed, Canada price etc) if I wasn’t using it.

Last edited January 8, 2020 10:41:31 pm
  • Posted: January 8, 2020 11:50:41 pm
  • No kidding, eh? I'll have to try it out then! I'll have to let you know how it goes!

I noticed the other day that Todd Mcfarlane with be at a con in Vancouver, in the next several months? Are you gonna go? I'm in Alberta, a couple hours away from Calgary. I was set to see/meet J Scott Campbell at last year's expo, then he cancelled. Pretty disappointing. So far, Jim Lee has been announced, and I wanna go meet him.

Last edited January 8, 2020 11:52:33 pm
  • Posted: January 9, 2020 1:17:04 am
  • I might check that out then. I have a copy of Hulk 340 I wouldn’t mind him signing... I usually don’t go to the fan expos but hit most of the smaller shows. I prefer the wheeling and dealing and dollar bin digging of that environment.

When is the expo with Jim Lee?
  • Posted: January 9, 2020 1:49:14 pm
  • The Calgary Expo is April 23-26, I do believe.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Schanes & Schanes's Elfquest A Gallery of Portraits Issue Info
  • National Fire Protection Association's Hawthorn-Mellody Farms Dairy Comics Issue nn
  • Square Enix Manga's Otherside Picnic Soft Cover # 9
  • Marvel Comics's Wolverine: Weapon X Issue # 7b