feature requests

BEHOLD! The laziest variant cover ever? (Comic Book Forums)

• BEHOLD! The laziest variant cover ever?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: December 2, 2019 12:02:19 pm
  • So there I was, enjoying my own writing, as one does. And I began to ponder the cover to one of my "off-brand one shots" I had just reviewed. Yes, yes. . .Shotgun Mary IS distractingly ass-tastic. . .but let your eye wander away from the main attraction and down to the lower left hand corner.

Okay. . .so I have a comic that's a 1 of 100 variant. Yay. It's not worth crap.

BUTT!

Wait. I mean. . .BUT! Whistle

The only difference between the regular edition and the "Gold Seal" edition is a goddamn gold sticker stuck on the cover! Did Antarctic really just print up 100 gold stickers, slap 'em on there and call it a day? Am I the proud owner of the world's laziest variant cover? Is there a lazier one to be found?

DISCUSS.

Last edited December 2, 2019 12:30:55 pm
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: December 2, 2019 3:43:43 pm
  • Yeah that's pretty lazy...on the brightside Antarctic Press probably sold them for $10 each so they did make some extra cash.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: December 2, 2019 11:43:03 pm
  • I was fully expecting to see a doodled variant cover by Frank Miller at first. But that cover reminds me of Lobo's Back #2 (DC) for some reason. Kind of looks like something done by Simon Bisley.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: December 3, 2019 2:29:28 am
  • It's not THE laziest - all the blank white covers are - but it is a close second!
    Tenzil
  • Posted: December 3, 2019 7:53:06 am
  • Rapha1978 said:
    I was fully expecting to see a doodled variant cover by Frank Miller at first. But that cover reminds me of Lobo's Back #2 (DC) for some reason. Kind of looks like something done by Simon Bisley.

Thanks. Now you've got me looking for a D!(k in Mary's arm muscles.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: December 3, 2019 7:55:36 am
  • Tenzil said:
    It's not THE laziest - all the blank white covers are - but it is a close second!

Good call! I forgot about the blank covers.
    Still. . .a friggin' sticker.
  • Posted: December 3, 2019 1:58:44 pm
  • I'm waiting for the laziest cover of all . . . the blank "virgin" variant . . .
  • Posted: December 3, 2019 11:18:38 pm
  • While blank covers might be lazier, at least they serve a purpose. I've had a bunch sketched by my favourite artists.

Slapping a sticker on a book and calling it a variant is just insulting.
  • Posted: December 4, 2019 12:13:35 am
  • junobeach said:

Slapping a sticker on a book and calling it a variant is just insulting.

See, now that's what I'M saying!

I like Antarctic's comics a lot, but what the hell were they smoking when they came up with this? To make matters worse, there's a full-page editorial on the first page that rants against gimmick covers ruining the comic industry and how companies should get back to basics instead of trying to get people to buy comics for the covers alone.

This comic SHOULD be collectible for its giant brass balls.

Last edited December 4, 2019 12:14:46 am
  • Posted: December 4, 2019 10:38:31 am
  • Let's not give blank covers too much credit for being lazy.

The blank covers have to be "produced" since they aren't really blank -- they will typically have the title logo on the front and a barcode on the back.

Then (at least with regard to Marvel blank cover comics) they will reproduce the regular cover without the barcode appearing anywhere -- so it becomes a pseudo variant for that reason too.

Then they have to assemble the whole thing.

Gotta say...sticking a sticker on an existing cover sounds a whole lot lazier to me.

Very Happy
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 54 years, 91 days, 12 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Image Comics's Nomen Omen Issue # 3b
  • Illustration Studio's Sisters of Darkness Issue # 2
  • Apex Novelties's Snatch Comics Issue nn-6th print
  • Image Comics's Undiscovered Country Issue # 1third eye