feature requests

Pricing of comics here (Comic Book Forums)

• Pricing of comics here

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 26, 2019 9:13:01 pm
  • I did read the FAQ topic to get an idea of how the comics are priced here, I just couldn't reply in there for some reason.

I wanted to bring the topic up because i was on Marketplace on FB and some dude was asking for $700 for New Teen Titans #2 (Deathstroke) and I was blow away. I was going to reply and link to the $150 you had it listed as here, but after doing a google search I found this site
    https://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/141300
    and this one
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=181291

and it seems like the value is more than what is on here.

So I was curious if ppl find this site's prices a bit low or about right?
    I ask because I've been going on Maxsold auction site and using the realm as a guide to fair prices for any comics I find on there.
    I may be under bidding on comics if I think they're only worth a lower amount and am getting out bid by others who think they are worth more.
    At the end of the day, I'm on Maxsold to get a great deal so I guess it doesn't matter. I just want to ensure I don't over bid for anything

side note: I got the watchmen full graphic novel for $6 and I've never really read the full thing so I consider that a win.
  • Posted: November 27, 2019 10:05:23 am
  • TL;DR: Pay what you're willing to pay after doing your homework here and elsewhere

I'm surprised no one else has chimed in, but here goes. A comic is worth what you or anyone else will pay for it. This site provides a reasonable price on tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands?) of books, but will never reflect the highest or lowest price paid. I find it a good starting point for my searches.

Basically, if you really want a book, bid higher than you think it's worth to others. I know that beggars the question of low pricing here, but in this hobby, what matters is knowing what you are willing to pay versus a decent estimate at fair market value. I think you're doing well to view other sites prices; I also use Overstreet and Ebay sold values. FB Marketplace is filled with people who know little or nothing about the hobby, much like antique store dealers, who price their books at the highest possible value they have ever seen. Caveat Emptor!
  • Posted: November 27, 2019 10:21:40 am
  • Thanks for the reply.
    I guess my thought was that I've been using this site as a reference to ensure I am paying/bidding on comics with a fair idea of what the comic is worth.
    I am looking for a steal of a deal so I doubt I'll over pay for comics on auction sites, but I just want to count on CBRealm to ensure that I don't too. With the disparity between here and other sites, it adds to my uncertainty when there is a bidding war.

It's not a complaint, but an observation and a discussion topic for me.

I do like that Realm doesn't over value comics though.
  • Posted: November 27, 2019 11:20:59 am
  • Our pricing is based on an average of Actual Sales Data, not what people are asking for their books. As stated above, comics are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Also there are books that need pricing updated, but we lean on the community to bring some of those to our attention because we cannot stay on top of EVERY book every day...If there are pricing adjustments needed, there are forums to post said books, and we will investigate and adjust accordingly.

Again our data is based on SOLD data only. Anyone can put any number on any book they want, but doesnt mean someone will actually purchase it for that price.

We use an average scale when pricing our books, so yes some will sell at say 100 and some will sell at say 50, so we list in the 75 range...With being said...just remember 1 sale does not make an entire market on said book...

Also i want to reiterate that this is only a GUIDE...we are here to lead people in the right direction. Always do your own homework when buying/selling, to stay accurate with the current market. We try our best but with so many books, many get overlooked.

Last edited November 27, 2019 11:22:28 am
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Batman #89 - Cameo Punchline 1st Designer
    Fantastic Four #116 - Doom Cover
    Venom: First Host #3 2nd Print - 1st Sleeper Low Print
    Magnificent Ms. Marvel #10 2nd Print - 1st Stormranger
  • Posted: November 27, 2019 11:25:21 am
  • duly noted. I understand that, I guess I was completely caught off guard as such a disparity and google lead me to sites that had that issues in the ballpark of his $700 asking price. This dude was still over pricing his comics (had 1st issue of Conan at $400 and TT #44 at $200) but still the other sites got me wondering.

I have always understood that when it comes to collecting it comes down to supply and most importantly DEMAND for pricing. I was just curious about the disparity between comic pricing sites is all. I better understand that the pricing here is not the absolute ceiling.

I absolutely intend to keep using CBRealm as a reference for my online bidding too.

Thanks for the feedback
  • Posted: November 27, 2019 4:48:44 pm
  • Been using this site for a few years now, and I can say the prices are pretty accurate, and if you see anything off (and can show links), they are quick to adjust. Of course, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay (If I want to make a quick sale on something that isn't a current hot comic, you have to be willing to look at 30-40% of what it is worth (and this site has totally helped with that)...but that definitely leads to one other thing to consider...the grade. Too often those auction houses, antique stores and ebay sellers do not know how to grade and how important it is to the price...so you can end up overpaying in those FB sales if the grading is way off. Learn how to grade, look at the pictures VERY closely, and ask questions.
  • Posted: November 27, 2019 5:02:00 pm
  • Hey there fellow Ottawa resident (or is that Ottawa-n?) I found this on the marketplace for the Ottawa region and they had their comics certificed CGC at 9.6 I believe. So it's in pretty good condition for such and old comic.

I still couldn't fathom paying that much for that comic simply because of Deathstroke though.
  • Posted: November 27, 2019 5:17:40 pm
  • Hello Ottawaian (??)! Well, then you are safe with the CGC. The price does seem high. Personally, I just check current ebay prices. For that particular comic, I only see sales around $380-$400 CDN, so either that guy is fishing, or is willing to knock it down a little for you to $600..lol You can also get a GPA Analysis that gives reports for comic sales, but there is a monthly subscription price. Also, this site tends to correspond to raw sales, not the CGC sales as those can have a premium added to it.
  • Posted: November 27, 2019 5:28:56 pm
  • Correct, we go by raw books and not graded for our values.
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

9 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 55 years, 222 days, 16 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Avenging Spider-Man Issue # 2b
  • Marvel Comics's FF Issue # 1b
  • Image Comics's Hit-Girl TPB # 3
  • Hermes Press's Phantom President Kennedy's Mission Hard Cover # 1