feature requests

Read online or actual book (Comic Book Forums)

• Read online or actual book

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 23, 2019 5:27:41 pm
  • I have been wondering what everyone does with their comics.

Do you buy, immediately store them and read the content online?
    Or do you wait to read the compilation in a graphic novel/trade?
    Or do you buy doubles and then use one for reading and then resell it on ebay?

I do like actually turning the pages of the book but it's possible to accidentally ruin the book while reading it. I did buy a graphic novel to try but then I started to feel guilty when I needed to flatten the book so I could comfortably read it, hahahahaha. (I think I have a "problem."..hahahaha) Reading them online just doesn't seem to have the same "aura" as reading the actual book for me.

So just curious how everyone else decides to read their book without damaging them....
  • Posted: November 23, 2019 11:29:29 pm
  • I read all my books. It is no fun (to me) if you don't.
    I don't care if it is something brand new and valued at cover price, or something purchased online and worth $2000....I am putting my hands on it, flipping the pages, and enjoying it at least once before storing it away. Carefully of course. Smile
    I treat every last book like it is an Amazing Fantasy #15.
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: November 25, 2019 12:12:25 am
  • @Spector, Applause

Comics are made to be read. I've read every single comic in my collection, over 33K comics (catalogued 32,900 into this sites database so far with a couple long boxes of Spider-Man and X-Men comics still to go), and many of these, I've read a few times over. When the topic of "what comics should I invest in" comes up in forums, my reply is usually just buy what you enjoy reading.
  • Posted: November 25, 2019 5:07:02 am
  • With new comics, I read them all and then bag and board them.

With older comics, If I grab 3 issues of a 4 issue mini (for example) from the bargain bin, I'll read that missing issue online, which is about all I use online for except sometimes sneaking a peek at a new series to see if I want to buy the first issue. . .my LCS freaks out if they hear me cracking tape on an issue to take a look.

As far as I'm concerned, online comics will be the death of comics eventually.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: November 25, 2019 1:50:56 pm
  • Vengeance said:

Comics are made to be read.

Agree 100%. Physically holding a comic and turning it's pages is all part of the experience. The format has always been so perfect to me ... Not quite magazine size, but not book size either. It's different than a tablet/ipad. I have tried reading issues online but catch myself zooming in and out a lot more than I would like to.

Last edited November 25, 2019 11:51:49 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: November 26, 2019 11:34:50 am
  • I always read whatever I buy. I don't buy much newer stuff anymore due to lack of funds. Online comic book reading will most likely destroy our hobby in the long run.

I'm actually a little surprised at comic book sales in the last few years. I'm afraid variant covers have kept the interest of all those speculators out there and therefore kept sales of comic books up. Boooo!!!
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Sofawolf Press's Anthrolations Issue # 5
  • Marvel Comics's Cable Issue # 3d
  • Diamond Comics Distribution's Previews: Customer Order Form Issue # 427
  • Massive Publishing's Zorro: Man of the Dead Issue # 3