feature requests

November Reading Challenge 100 + Comic Karma (Comic Book Forums)

• November Reading Challenge - 100 + Comic Karma

Author Discussion
  • Posted: November 1, 2019 8:20:20 am
  • Hey guys another month, another challenge. Maybe this month I will finally bust through the 100 issue challenge.

So same deal..100 issues to be read during the month, throw down your comments tallies in the forum.

The extra challenge this month is trying to get a couple of more people to join us and then I will have some comic karma for the participants at the end of the month.
  • Posted: November 4, 2019 12:45:18 am
  • Okay, so slow start to the month but I've started off with;

1. Flash Vol.2 #219 - Cheetah / Reverse Flash vs Wonder Woman / Flash team-up. Nuff said.

This month I'm making that target!!

Last edited November 4, 2019 12:45:41 am
  • Posted: November 4, 2019 1:10:15 am
  • I'm going to try and keep up a little better this month than I did in October. . .

BATMAN: CURSE OF THE WHITE KNIGHT #4 (DC 2019)
    I liked this issue a lot, even though it's not really the Azrael I wanted. Too bad we can't get a good Azrael story outside of an Elseworlds thing. . .

BOOKS OF MAGIC #13 (DC/VERTIGO 2019)
    I was going to drop this one until I saw that John Constantine is coming on board. Will the Hellblazer save this series? I guess I'll keep going on it and find out.

CONAN THE BARBARIAN #10 ( Marvel 2019)
    It's a rare series that can run 10 issues without hitting a rough patch. This is one I look forward to every month. Another great issue with a of a cliffhanger!

DETECTIVE COMICS #1014 (DC 2019)
    This series has been on a serious slide downhill. This story arc completely destroys Mister Freeze by turning (NO SPOILERS) into a supervillain.

STAR WARS - DOCTOR APHRA Annual #3 (Marvel 2019)
    Probably my favorite Star Wars comic right now. This annual is one of the best stories yet! Full of sketchy characters and twists with an unusual art style they need to keep on the main series.

HIT-GIRL #9 (Image 2019)
    I've been liking the short arcs using different teams to tell a complete story this series has been doing. This issue is the first of a new story set in India and I hate to say it, but it's not grabbing me.

JOURNEY TO STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER - ALLEGIANCE #1 - #4 (Marvel 2019)
    I bought these for the awesome Marco Checcetto connecting covers. The story is. . .okay. It focuses on General Organa reaching out to her old Mon Calamari allies to get their ships to join the Resistance. I was hoping for more. But those covers, though!

STAR WARS #73 (Marvel 2019)
    For a series winding down to a #75 conclusion (and hopefully re-start in the Empire Strikes Back era soon), Star Wars has been pretty underwhelming. You'd think they would swing for the fences coming into the last 2 issues. . .

GHOST RIDER #1 (Marvel 2019)
    I heard this one starred my favorite GR (the 90's-tastic Danny Ketch version), so I picked up the first issue. It's. . .okay. I won't be getting #2. The story leans HEAVILY on storylines I'm not familiar with or care to become familiar with. The art is awesome, and so is the cover, but I don't want to have to do research to read a friggin' Ghost Rider story.

BATMAN Annual #4 (DC 2019)
    Tom King just doesn't know when to stop. This starts off really good and quickly gets ridiculous as King tries to show us just HOW busy Batman is. The art is outstanding, though!

IMMORTAL HULK #25 (Marvel 2019)
    What the &%$# was THAT? This series steps outside of Science Fiction horror and is heading deep into some Lovecraftian territory. . .not that it's bad, it's just an unexpected swerve.

LADY RAWHIDE - OTHER PEOPLE'S BLOOD #1 - #5 (TOPPS 1996)
    5 issues worth 90's-Tastic "Bad Girl" comics at their best/worst. . .featuring sexy pirate women, sexy vampire women, and Lady Rawhide herself. I was ready to drop out after Issue #2 due to Extreme Overload, but I ain't a quitter, son!

So that's 19 issues to start off November with. Very Happy

Last edited November 4, 2019 1:20:15 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: November 4, 2019 8:20:44 pm
  • Justice League of America #100-#109

Len Wein takes over as the writer and the stories improve drastically. He has two crossovers with the JSA and each tosses in another Golden Age team, The Seven Soldiers and The Freedom Fighters.

The artwork also gets better as Giordano comes in as inker and does the covers as well.

This is also an era of expansion for the team as it welcomes new members in Phantom Stranger, Elongated Man and Red Tornado.

One new letter writer of note appears, Mike W Barr. He would debut at DC in a year writing the Elongated Man feature in Detective Comics.

10 so far
  • Posted: November 5, 2019 12:45:09 am
  • HARLEY QUINN & POISON IVY #1 (DC 2019)
    Took a look when I saw this in my daughter's pile.
    #1: Does the world REALLY need another Harley Quinn story?
    #2: It's bad. Real bad. I mean. . .SO bad.
    #3: Nice cover, though (she has the Artgerm Harley cover)

MARVEL SUPER SPECIAL #8 - BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (Marvel 1978 )
    One of my favorites from the days of the Giant-Sized comics. Great Ernie Colon art.

EVE: VALKYRIE #1 - #4 (Dark Horse 2015)
    A tie in to a video game I've never played, but this is some GREAT hard sci-fi!
    Pick this one up if you spot it in the bargain bin. A very nice piece of Longbox Junk. Some great painted covers too.

So 6 more for a November total so far of 25. Very Happy

Last edited November 5, 2019 12:46:42 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: November 5, 2019 1:52:50 pm
  • What a start to the month! Great job everyone...

@atom - i completely agree with your poison ivy comment as the covers are just amazing and the story is ehhhh. Also the new Ghost rider #1 i did not like very much at all.

Here is my current count, i really want to finally reach the challenge this month.

1-12 Sword 6-17 From the Luna brothers a lady has a mystical sword and goes to battle against like beings that killed her family, fast read and pretty decent

13. Vampire State building # 1 - i liked the story and the art is great from the guy that did the walking dead. What is weird is that i am so used to the walking dead that i kept looking at some of the characters and trying to match them to that other comic.

14. Safe #1 - decent image title, certainly not for kids

15. Planet Hulk #1 - i love these kinds of stories and have no knowledge of the battleworld, i was not collecting at the time but really like the mad max vibe from this book
  • Posted: November 5, 2019 4:58:21 pm
  • oops, it cut off before I finished the list here...

45. Dark Wolverine #76 Elvis-esque 1950's variant

46. Brave and the Bold #111 Batman and the joker

47. Rawhide Kid #69 Love this Lieber cover and been wanting it for awhile, finally an upper grade copy came along for a low price.

48. Conan the Barbarian #25 first Buscema on conan title

49. Iron Man #29 Nice Marie Severenson cover.
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: November 5, 2019 5:00:14 pm
  • Ack....computer malfunction (or user lol)
    dangit
    I will try and get #1-44 down AGAIN...but will have to nix the commentary after the time put in
  • Posted: November 5, 2019 5:12:59 pm
  • sigh...attempting to jot down #1-44 again here:
    1-2. Hulk (2015) # 4 and 14 (red hulk)

3. Marvel Zombies Vol.6 #1

4. TMNT #99

5. The last book 1

6. Red goblin red death 1

7. Silver Surfer black #5

8. Roku #1

9-10. Marvel Spotlight #3-4 (werewolf by night)

11. DC comics Presents #52 Supes and Doom patrol and 1st ambush bug

12. What if? Vol.2 #88 Ben Parker (son of Peter) story

13. Tales of suspense #64 thanks Brucifer!

14-20. Daredevil 197-200, 234-236 back in my pc again thanks to brucifer!

21. Jughead the hunger #1 cool werewolf by night #32 homage (limited to 500 copies)

22. Incredible hulk #1 facsimile edition

23. amazing mary jane 1

24. contagion #4

25. count crowley reluctant midnight monster hunter 1

26. immortal hulk #25 meta stuff here!

27. Marauders 1

28. amazing spider-man #103

29. Daredevil #91

30-32. red sonja and vampirella meet betty and veronica #2, 4 and 5 (hack variants) still need #6 hack to complete the series.

33. Alien Bounty hunter 1

34. Batman #271

35. Mech cadet Yu #1

36. Wolverine #54

37. strange tales #181

38. house of secrets #112

39. Marvel Premiere #17

40. Joker Killer Smile 1

41. Hulk magazine #14

42-43. Hulk comic UK newsprint comic

44. Marvel Comic #330 UK newsprint comic (first in this series after a title change)
  • Posted: November 5, 2019 5:15:48 pm
  • (42-43. the issues are #9 and 10 that were omitted)
58 posts • Page 1 of 6
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • DC Comics's DC Connect Issue # 47
  • Image Comics's Feral Issue # 1c
  • Viking Books For Young Readers's Shark Princess Hard Cover # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Ultimate Spider-Man Issue # 3e