feature requests

October Reading Challenge 101 books + bonus (Comic Book Forums)

• October Reading Challenge - 101 books + bonus

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 30, 2019 7:03:07 pm
  • Same rules as September with a twist. Goal is 101 comics,

If you read 1 comic that is equal to 1...if you read a graphic novel covering 25 books then 25. If you read 100 page giants then use your best judgement and divide by normal comic page count.

For October aside from your book tally let’s see some horror books listed that you read. Call those books out.
  • Posted: September 30, 2019 9:45:47 pm
  • Good call with the horror theme for the month!
    People want to know. How can I live like this? The risks? The times I've descended into madness? The times I've died? How can I live like this? How could I live any other way?
  • Posted: October 1, 2019 12:00:38 am
  • Nice! I ALWAYS dig out the horror comics for October!
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 1, 2019 11:55:29 am
  • Took off work for a dental visit, and got a few read waiting for the numbness to go away.

1. DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #4. This one has monsters, mythical beasts, the phantom stranger and a killer iconic Wrightson cover from 1971.

2. Showcase #61. Great silver age Spectre tale.

3. Daredevil #90. Colon's art looks great.

4. Moon Knight #19 (volume 1)

5-6. Fantastic Four #19 and #37. Hate Monger and some great Kirby art!

7. Tales to Astonish #15. The Blip! An Atlas oldie!

8. Incredible Hulk #168. Birth of the Harpy.

9. Hulk #4 (volume 1). Atlas book and Lee and Kirby collaboration. So neat to flip through a piece of history.
    People want to know. How can I live like this? The risks? The times I've descended into madness? The times I've died? How can I live like this? How could I live any other way?
  • Posted: October 1, 2019 6:46:35 pm
  • I'm rereading Justice League of America

Brave & the Bold 28-30
    Justice League of America #1-6

This will go quick

9 so far

• Posted: October 3, 2019 6:29:46 am
  • In preparation for some Halloween Horror Longbox Junk fun this month. . .

'68 (Image 2006) one-shot
    Zombies during the Vietnam War! Great art.

Ghosts (Vertigo 2012) one-shot
    A VERY hit or miss anthology.
    The stories are either good or bad. Nothing in between.

The Cabinet of Doctor Caligari (Amigo Comics 2017) 2 issues
    An insane hypnotist uses an innocent man to commit murders.
    Not a bad little story. Art is sort of "Meh"

30 Days of Night: Dead Space (IDW 2006) 3 issues
    Vampires in SPAAAAAAACE! A pretty good idea punished by awful art.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre Special #1 (Avatar 2005) one-shot
    If I reviewed this one, I probably couldn't include any pictures. It's a gore-fest.

Face (Vertigo 1995) one-shot
    A twisted tale of revenge, insanity, and plastic surgery. Some pretty creepy $#!t.

9 issues to start October off.

Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 3, 2019 7:22:48 am
  • I enjoyed seeing what everyone was reading in September, and definitely will like seeing your horror titles for October! Way to keep up the good work, everyone!
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
  • Posted: October 3, 2019 3:03:53 pm
  • stopped by the LCS on the way home today to add these few:

10. Red Sonja and Vampirella meet Betty and Veronica #3 (hack variant). Really love these Hack retro variants.

11. Punisher #16 mary jane variant. Conclusion to the current storyline.

12. Spider-Verse cover D. Not a bad read, will see where this goes.

13. Immortal Hulk #24. Horror, Sci-Fi and now a dash of the metaphysical tossed in. This title is just not slowing down one bit, and I am not complaining! Awesome cover as well.
  • Posted: October 3, 2019 3:26:00 pm
  • Spector, I completely agree with you on Immortal Hulk. It's kept my interest from day one!
  • Posted: October 3, 2019 4:22:31 pm
  • my books from yesterday

#10 Batman #251 Facsimile Edition. With real paper smell! One of the greatest Batman comics ever.

#11 Justice League #33
    #12 Lois Lane #4
    #13 Green Lantern #12
    #14 Superman Up in the Sky #4
    #15 Batman #80
    #16 Young Justice #9
    #17 Legion of Super Heroes Millennium #2: the Legion appears in two whole pages!
    #18 Star Wars #72
  • Posted: October 3, 2019 7:52:42 pm
  • edgos2 said:
    Spector, I completely agree with you on Immortal Hulk. It's kept my interest from day one!

Probably one of the best books out there today for sure.

Got a few that arrived in the mail today and made some more progress:

14. Harleen #1. Not a bad read at all.

15. Vampirella #0 (previous volume). J Scott Campbell sneak peak variant. On my 6th copy now, so figured it was time to read one of them.

16. Spider-Man #1
    @edgos2 finally arrived. Absolutely loved it. I will be searching out the next issue on this run.

17. The Plot #1
    Cover B is a Bernie Wrighson homage to House of Secrets #92.
    This book was so great. Vault has some new titles that are making some waves right now.
  • Posted: October 3, 2019 8:07:13 pm
  • Glad you liked the Abrams Spider-Man issue!
  • Posted: October 4, 2019 3:24:26 pm
  • Justice League of America #7-22

16 more for 34

The only problem with the Archives is that they don't have the letter columns.
  • Posted: October 4, 2019 4:44:29 pm
  • Got a few in the mail today and read them before even logging them:

18. Tales to Astonish #42 cool early Ant-man story/appearance.

19. Warlock #12 first book in my stash of volume 1. Fun story mostly of Pip the troll, but has Eros (later known as Starfox) in the end. Great Starlin art.

20. Marvel Premiere #8 bronze age Dr. Strange with more great Starlin art. I recognized one of the pages, and have a black and white production art piece framed of it.

21. Weird Wonder Tales #1 Bronze age Marvel horror and sci-fi.

22. Strange Tales #166 The Steranko art on the Fury story is amazing.

Last edited October 4, 2019 4:45:08 pm
  • Posted: October 5, 2019 4:08:22 pm
  • Action Ace said:
    Justice League of America #7-22

16 more for 34

I never read the letter pages, will check these out. Has anyone ever sent a letter and got it published.
  • Posted: October 5, 2019 6:08:30 pm
  • I had a few published in the late 90s, early 2000s. And received a coveted No-Prize for one of them.

Last edited October 5, 2019 6:13:24 pm
  • Posted: October 5, 2019 6:08:58 pm
  • I had a few letters published in the late 90s, early 2000s. And received a coveted No-Prize for one of them.
  • Posted: October 5, 2019 7:51:46 pm
  • imcubillo said:
    Action Ace said:
    Justice League of America #7-22

16 more for 34

I never read the letter pages, will check these out. Has anyone ever sent a letter and got it published.

Wrote a few in the 1970s as a kid. I had a few published in the early 1990s.
  • Posted: October 5, 2019 10:04:10 pm
  • @Action Ace and @edgos2 that is really cool that you both had your letters published. Super jelly of that No Prize too. It seems like most attempts have an explanation to keep a person from receiving one. So hats off to you for that.

Long work day, but had a couple books arrive and read them.

23. Queen of Bad Dreams #1. Cover B is a cool homage to Kaluta and DC's Madame Xanadu 1. Story was a pretty decent sci fi one.

24. These Savage Shores #1 (black and white). This book was really incredible and will be looking for more of this series. I am becoming a Vault convert in my indie readings. I heard they may be announcing that this will optioned for tv/movie at the NYCC. I had the chance to meet the Vault gang at a small table at the 2016 SDCC. We talked for a good hour, and I left with a handful of advance preview copies of the books they had then. It is really great to see them getting their feet off of the ground just a few years later.
  • Posted: October 6, 2019 2:59:14 am
  • I read the new Legion Millennium story for a total of one comic so far in October! But I did have two letters published back in the day, one in Marvel Team Up and one in Ka-Zar the Savage. Both ages ago and neither one memorable except to me.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: October 6, 2019 4:09:44 pm
  • Congrats on the letters being published. As a first step I am going to start reading them.

I am also enjoying vault comics, I am loving Mall, Sera was good, queen of bad dreams as well, test I had no idea what was going on.

Here we go just a couple of days under my belt but reading some good stuff.

1-2. Batman white knight 1& 2 - awesome role reversal story in the Batman world really liking the art as well Sean Murphy isn’t awesome, will be trying to find more of his comics.

3-7. Manhattan projects 1-5 - started reading this cause of Hickman and good story with wild terrible scientists. Interesting concepts. Recommend the read.

8. History of marvel universe #2 - great stuff here from waid
    9. Powers of x #5
    10. Mall #2 - more of that vault goodness
    11. White trees #2 - part 2 of 2, good story would like to see more
    12-13 - DCeased 3&4 - going to call this out as a horror title
    14. Superior foes of Spidey 9 - very witty story about a bunch of b grade villains
  • Posted: October 6, 2019 10:40:55 pm
  • Justice League of America #23-30

8 more for 42

Interesting that Carter Hall gets to be in two JLA stories before Katar Hol joins in issue #31.
  • Posted: October 7, 2019 3:40:43 am
  • Finally got off the mark this weekend. I just grabbed three random comics that I recently picked up:

1. Lobo: Blazing Chains of Love . . . Meh
    2. Justice League #3 JLA vs Rocket Red Brigade
    3. Catwoman #1 (201Cool Artgem Cover . . . bought it for the cover but the comic wasn't bad either
  • Posted: October 8, 2019 6:11:56 am
  • Still getting into the horror comics for some Longbox Junk Halloween posts. . .

Beyond The Grave (Charlton, 1975) Issues #1,2, & 3
    Pretty vanilla code-approved Bronze Age "Horror". Average at best.

Boris Karloff Thriller/Tales of Mystery (Gold Key 1962 & 1976) Issues #3 & #70
    The older issue is surprisingly good, with some better artwork than I expected. The 1976 issue is okay. . .but not much better than that. I'll probably do the #3 in Longbox Junk before the month is over.

Chamber of Chills (Marvel 1972) Issue #3
    A great opening story by Roy Thomas and Frank Brunner and a couple of "okay" backups. This one will probably land in Longbox Junk before the end of October.

The Twilight Zone (Gold Key 1963) Issue #4
    A fantastic cover! Unfortunately the art inside is basic at best with extremely sloppy colors. The stories are okay, but not very memorable.

Crypt of Shadows (Marvel 1975) Issue #18
    Crazy, Creepy cover! The 3 stories inside are pretty good, but they're all reprints from older comics.

Rob Zombie's Spookshow International (Crossgen/MvCreations 2004) Issues #1,2, &5.
    Just as crazy and practically unreadable as you would expect a comic book based on Rob Zombie songs to be. So bad it's good. Ernie Colan on art in the opening story of the first issue! So there's that. . .

You can probably see I'm leaning toward some Retro Reviews in upcoming Longbox Junk reviews. That's 11 more issues for a total of 20 so far.

• Posted: October 8, 2019 2:25:10 pm
  • Justice League of America #31-38, 40 (#39 was an 80 Page Giant of reprints)

9 more for 51

I do have a couple of the real comics.

In issue #34, the readers were happy with Hawkman joining in issue #31. One wondered why Hawkgirl also didn't join. The Editor said maybe she could fill in for him if he was busy on another case. Another reader was worried Hawkman would be relegated to the back bench with Atom and Green Arrow.

I also have issue #40. This letter column was for issue #36. One remembered that the issue was quite similar to All-Star Comics #27 from twenty years before. Another questioned that since Hawkman absorbed all the knowledge on Earth when he arrived, did he know everyone's secret identities? The editor says no for now, but check out issue #41.
  • Posted: October 9, 2019 5:33:11 pm
  • adding a few more to the read pile:

25. Spawn #301. Great story and accompanying artwork. The last 20 issues of this run have been such a ride. There are a ton of covers for this one, much like issue 300. I walked away with four of them today. I could have easily grabbed 4 more.

26-27. Thor (2015) # 5 and Annual 1.

28-29. Marvel Fanfare #10-11. Black widow origin story, and first appearance of Iron Maiden. I mostly link George Perez to the great work he has done with DC, but I will say he did an outstanding job here as well.

30. Tales to astonish #50. Great silver age tale featuring Giant Man and the Wasp.
  • Posted: October 10, 2019 4:05:00 pm
  • I went on a Batman Beyond binge a couple of days ago.
    6 issues - Batman Beyond volume 1
    24 issues - Batman Beyond volume 2
    6 issues - Batman Beyond volume 3
    8 issues - Batman Beyond volume 4
    36 issues - Batman Beyond volume 5
    18 issues - Batman Beyond 2.0 volume 1
    18 issues - Batman Beyond Unlimited

Total of 116, and I intend on reading some Earth One graphic novels soon (my library has volume 1 and 3 of Superman). Definitely pulling volume 5 Batman Beyond, but personally I preferred Beyond in DCAU rather than Earth-0.
  • Posted: October 10, 2019 8:32:43 pm
  • this week's comics

52. Batman Universe #4
    53. Event Leviathan #5: So Leviathan is someone I first met in 1977? Or is it someone even older?
    54. Flash #80
    55. Supergirl #35
    56. Superman #16: our newest Legionnaire...Bat Boy
    57. Wonder Twins #8
    58. Wonder Woman #80

• Posted: October 11, 2019 4:31:01 pm
  • a few more to add:

31. Marvel comics presents #9. Pretty cool back up story of weopon.exe

32. Amazing fantasy #15 facsimile.

33. Amazing Spider-man #31. Not really following the absolute carnage mayhem, but the mary jane variant cover is pretty sweet.

34. Batman's Grave #1. Another fine Warren Ellis tale.

35. Future Fight Firsts (White Fox) #1. Surprisingly good, and a back up tale of the Future Avengers.
  • Posted: October 14, 2019 3:52:41 am
  • I got caught up on some of my pulls this weekend. . .

Savage Avengers #6 (Marvel, 2019)

I'm probably dropping this one after I pick up next issue with an awesome Finch Elektra cover. This issue flew right off the rails with a bro-mantic story of Conan and Punisher dragging the coffins of Punisher's family across Antarctica. But at least there was THIS, I guess. . .

Immortal Hulk #24 (Marvel 2019)

This series just gets crazier and crazier as it goes! Also has the second best cover of the series so far. I never thought I'd still be pulling a Hulk comic 24 issues in. I normally last 6 or 8 before I give up.

Blade Runner 2019 #4 (Titan 2019)
    Great art, great story, a very nice finish to the first arc. If you're a sci-fi fan don't let this under the radar gem slip your notice just because it's from a 3rd tier publisher!

Star Wars: Target Vader #3 - #4 (Marvel 2019)

I was on the fence about this one at first but it's turning out to be a pretty damn good little story! Bounty hunters that hate each other trying to trap and take down Darth Vader. It's fine, they're pros. They got this. What could go wrong?

Star Wars #72 (marvel 2019)

As the series winds down to a #75 conclusion, the story seems to be just. . .okay. I was sort of expecting more. Well, there's still 3 more to go, so maybe it will fire up a little more.

The Punisher #16 (marvel 2019)

DAMN IT, MARVEL! Why do you have to keep starting and stopping the Punisher? And why do you have to do it when he's on fire? THIS IS VOLUME TWELVE! Why the Hell is there TWELVE volumes of Punisher?

Event Leviathan #4 - #5 (DC 2019)

I don't think I even care who Leviathan is now. I'm still pulling this because I keep forgetting it's on my list. I was just in it because I was SO glad to see The Question back, but he (they. . .the Montoya version is there too) barely says or does anything. Is anyone else even reading this?

Doomsday Clock #11 ( DC 2019)

Another one I just keep forgetting about, but now it's 11 out of 12 in, I might as well finish the set. It started off extremely strong, but I really don't think they know how they want to end it. The sketchy shipping schedule just makes me think they really don't have an ending even more. . .

Books of Magic #12 (Vertigo/DC 2019)

Third one in a row that I just keep forgetting to drop from my pull. I don't even know what the hell is happening in this story any more. A damn shame since the original Books of Magic series is one of my favorites. I was so glad to see this back, but now when it shows up in my pull, I'm like. . ."Oh yeah. I need to tell the guy to drop this one." But then forget while digging through back issue boxes.

Captain America #14 (Marvel 2019)

This series is right on the edge of getting dropped. That's a hard thing for me to do to Cap, because he's one of my favorite characters. The story is just starting to swing in the wind. They probably need to switch writers sooner than later. This guy's heart doesn't seem in it.

Batman: Curse of The White Knight #3 (DC 2019)

I'm still on board for this Elseworlds story. I was hoping for more Azrael, but the underlying conspiracy/ mystery is the best part of it. Not sure the world needs more Harley Quinn stories, though. . .

Batman #80 (DC 2019)

Please, God. Don't let this turn into Return of the Bat-Jedi with Flashpoint Bats playing Darth Vader to Bane's Emperor and Bruce Bats bringing him to the light side as the only way to defeat Bane "Everything Proceeds as I have foreseen" Palpatine. Just let it end.
    Please. . .just. . .END.

Detective Comics #1012 - #1013 (DC 2019)

*sigh* 'Tec has been sliding downhill since issue #1000. I think that when the original Rebirth Dectective concept of "Bat-Family Team Book" ran its course, things started swinging in the wind while they try to find a solid direction. The last two arcs have been the worst.

Web of Black Widow #1 - #2 (Marvel 2019)

The newest book on my pull. I'm liking it a lot, so far! Gritty art, great story. Too bad the covers make Black Widow look like she's 16 years old. This one's a winner.

So that's 18 more issues for a total of 38. That doesn't seem like too many. I think I've read more last week but forgot to keep track.

Last edited October 14, 2019 4:01:31 am
  • Posted: October 14, 2019 4:06:53 am
  • voltronforce0 said:
    I went on a Batman Beyond binge a couple of days ago.
    6 issues - Batman Beyond volume 1
    24 issues - Batman Beyond volume 2
    6 issues - Batman Beyond volume 3
    8 issues - Batman Beyond volume 4
    36 issues - Batman Beyond volume 5
    18 issues - Batman Beyond 2.0 volume 1
    18 issues - Batman Beyond Unlimited

Total of 116, and I intend on reading some Earth One graphic novels soon (my library has volume 1 and 3 of Superman). Definitely pulling volume 5 Batman Beyond, but personally I preferred Beyond in DCAU rather than Earth-0.

Nice! Now you've got me wanting to dig into my Batman Beyond pile! My favorites are the 6 issue Vol. 1 and Batman Beyond Unlimited.
  • Posted: October 14, 2019 1:25:45 pm
  • Atom, I know what you mean about Captain America...I dropped it a couple months ago.
  • Posted: October 14, 2019 3:17:02 pm
  • Atom

For me, the Batman book of the moment is Batman: Universe. Bendis is writing the 1970s Batman and its very jarring to see him written as a normal human. And Jonah Hex is one of the guest stars.

I've enjoyed Event Leviathan. If you are looking for more Question, both show up in Rucka's Lois Lane. Rene is a major supporting player in the series.

I'm sure Doomsday Clock has been changed a bit to fit in with the rest of the DCU, but I've enjoyed every page. Instead of being the main event, it looks like it will lead up to some "Crisis" in 2020. Which makes some sense if Geoff isn't going to be at DC any more to run things.

I've enjoyed Pak's arc on Star Wars. The Chewie/ C-3PO section has been the star.The era between Stars Wars and Empire Strikes Back is the era I most wanted to see, so I'm sad to see this series come to an end.
  • Posted: October 14, 2019 5:31:10 pm
  • Now on to recently read old business

Justice League of America #41-47, 49-57, 59-60

58+18=76

40-50 is my favorite stretch of this era. And Sid Greene's inking makes the art look a little better. Among the guest stars in the comics I read were future members Zatanna, Elongated Man, Black Canary and Hawkgirl. Batgirl, Metamorpho and the Robins of two Earths are also involved. We're also at the peak of Batmania so he gets a prominent spot on the cover from issues #44-55. (the last one being Robin)

Of course, this is also the era of Go Go Checks.

I own three from this era, #42,43 and 44. And yes the "100 Issues Ago" feature from JLA #140-144 has everything to do with why I own these issues.

• Posted: October 15, 2019 2:28:46 am
  • Action Ace said:

I've enjoyed Pak's arc on Star Wars. The Chewie/ C-3PO section has been the star.The era between Stars Wars and Empire Strikes Back is the era I most wanted to see, so I'm sad to see this series come to an end.

Yeah, the unusual Chewie/Threepio team-up is probably the best part of this final arc. I'm not saying it's BAD, just a bit less epic than I expected from this series coming to an end before heading into The Empire Strikes Back timeline.
  • Posted: October 16, 2019 1:48:34 pm
  • So I walked into the LCS today with every intention of purchasing one book, the new spider-man book...and well...that didn't happen lol.

36. Spider-man #2 JJ Abrams on Spidey has lived up to the hype. Enjoying the start of this series immensely.

37. X-men #1. Hickman still on fire here. A lot of great covers, but walked away with the Art Germ beauty.

Now I am mostly a Marvel reader, with some Batman and DC one offs, and Spawn thrown on the side....but I grabbed a ton of indies today, and was not disappointed in the least!

38. The Mask, I pledge allegiance to the Mask #1. Yeah, this isn't the Jim Carry Mask that you know. Great story, and the variant cover is sweet.

39. Something is killing the children #2. LOVE, and need to find the first issue now! The variant cover to this is amazing.

40. The Marked #1. I almost put this one back, but for a double sized book at regular price, I figured I could not go wrong. Enjoyed (variant cover as well)

41. Tank Girl Forever #3. Not really sure if this is a main or variant as it isn't listed here, and did not find it on an ebay search (only google images but doesn't say what cover it is). Looks all retro, distressed etc. interior pages look tanned. Love the art, and the story was a lot of fun.

42. Resonant #1 another fine Vault comics story here. I will be looking for #2 and 3. Has that Stephen King The Stand kind of feel to the story.

43. Cult Classic Creature Feature #1. Vault does not disappoint. This had the feel of a precode horror book set in small town America today.
  • Posted: October 16, 2019 4:21:34 pm
  • I only had four scheduled to be picked up, so no new comics this week for me.

But I got the Fox/Sekowsky Era of JLA done.

Justice League of America #61-66, #68-70

9 more for 85

Now we hit the Denny O'Neil Era and the JLA enters its first dark era as the long slog to #100 begins.At least with Dick Dillin on the inside and Neal Adams with the covers, the art gets better.

Last edited October 17, 2019 5:35:49 pm
  • Posted: October 17, 2019 2:39:04 am
  • Considering more Longbox Junk Halloween entries. . .

LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT HALLOWEEN SPECIAL: CHOICES
    (DC 1993)
    A decent Scarecrow story with 90's-Tastic Tim Sale art. AND Bruce Wayne gets catfished but Alfred saves his stupid @$$.

LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT HALLOWEEN SPECIAL: GHOSTS
    (DC 1995)
    A Halloween retelling of "A Christmas Carol" with Batman villains standing in for the ghosts. Not bad, but not as good as the first one. Tim Sale CANNOT draw Penguin.

LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT HALLOWEEN SPECIAL: MADNESS
    (DC 1994)
    A damn good Mad Hatter story with some of the best Tim Sale art of the three. This one will probably end up in Longbox Junk sometime soon.

RED SONJA HALLOWEEN SPECIAL (Dynamite 2018 )
    One story for mature audiences, the other an all-ages "Girl Power" cartoon. I'm confused who this was written for. Full review in Longbox Junk right NOW!

AND. . .

LOVELESS Issues #1 - #12 ( Vertigo, 2005)
    Has anyone else read this? It's about the most confusing damn western I've ever read. I think Azzarello was smoking something funky when he did this one. Great art, though. Picked up the whole 24 issue run for a measly ten bucks a while back. This will probably land in Longbox Junk someday.

So that's 16 more for a (estimated, I think I missed a bunch last week) total of 54!

Last edited October 17, 2019 2:40:32 am
  • Posted: October 17, 2019 7:41:37 pm
  • I’m back!

#15-18 superior Spider-Man 10, 11, 12, 13 - still a fantastic run I really enjoy this
    #19-21 invincible 34, 35, 36 - fun read and this is a long read as looking to complete the whole series
    #22 house of x 6 - more world building
    #23 year of the villain - amazing book loved it
    #24-28 sheltered 1-5 great read of a b7nch of kids that kill their parents getting ready to the end of the world
    #29- 33 sword 1-5 another image title interest read of girl that gets powers from a magic sword

I have not yet run into a letters page - some of the above were digital but looking forward to my first letters column to read now
  • Posted: October 18, 2019 5:23:56 pm
  • had some time to get some more books read:

44. Hulk (magazine) #15. Cool Moon Knight back up story that intertwined with a hulk tale.

45-46. Daredevil #300 and #1.5

47-49. Amazing Fantasy #16-18

50. Warlock Chronicles #8

51-57. Warlock and the Infinity Watch #1-7

58-76. New Warriors #13-15, 25-30, 35-44

77-90. Marvel Comics Presents #33-35, 37-47

91-104. Quasar #17-30.

Well, this definitely got me into a box that I haven't read yet. Had a few long boxes purchased for cheap awhile back that were sitting there waiting to be read. Seeing that it will be back to business at work in a few days, I won't have the chance aside from anything new that comes out and is purchased.
  • Posted: October 18, 2019 8:45:23 pm
  • Justice League of America #71-75, #77-80

My last archive done, so it's off to the regular issues.

At this point Wonder Woman has lost her powers and quit. J'onn J'onzz is out too and off to look for the last of his people. Snapper Carr betrays the JLA to the Joker and he's out. They leave the Mountain Secret Sanctuary and are off to the JLA Satellite. Green Arrow gets a new look and attitude in one issue. Black Canary comes over from Earth 2 and gets a new power. And in thirteen issues so far, Denny's used Aquaman once.

In the JLA Mailroom....

Issue #75 has missives from Alan Brennert, who would one day write about a dozen comics for DC including the Elseworld Batman: Holy Terror, and Martin Pasko who would write his first full issue of JLA just six years later.

Issue #77 has Alan Brennert write again. He's joined by the "father of comic book fandom" Jerry Bails. Peter Haag asks DC to kill off Green Arrow and replace him with Hawkgirl or Supergirl. He is advised to wait and see the changes to the character, which happened in the next issue. (#75)

9 more for a total of 94
  • Posted: October 19, 2019 12:34:40 am
  • dug into a few more indies:

105. Robert Jordan's the wheel of time #11

106. The Phantom #1 (dynamite)

107. Nightman #2 (malibu) with a phoenix resurrection flip book
  • Posted: October 22, 2019 4:29:17 pm
  • I am holding down the rear spot pretty good!!

34. Omen nomen #1–ehhh
    35. Ghost rider #1 - ehh again
    36. Strange skies over east Berlin #1 - cool spy mixed with aliens maybe very atmospheric and cool read
    37. Batman/Superman #1 - not bad we get more heroes that laugh
    38. Dceased #5 - still enjoying this story
    39-42 - superior 14-17 great overall story sad it ended so early
    43-46 dynamo 1-4 - picked up the whole series for $12 fo far a decent read
    47 w8nter soldier #1 - pretty cool read
  • Posted: October 22, 2019 4:58:33 pm
  • Justice League of America #81-84 and 86-90

9 more for 103 and mission accomplished

Denny O'Neil gives way to Mike Freidrich as the regular writer, just as letter writer Martin Pasko suggested.

Aquaman returns and even Mera makes a couple of cameo appearances now that "The Search for Mera" is over. Of course, his book is now cancelled. He, Atom and Hawkman now have plenty of time for JLA meetings.

Future members Red Tornado and Zatanna show up in this batch as well.

• Posted: October 22, 2019 5:42:15 pm
  • got a few things in and read all but one:

108. Amazing Spider-man #5. Handled with kid gloves, ditko art and Spidey faces Dr. Doom (his robot).

the seller of this book tossed in 2 free hardback graphic novels, but have only read through the first one thus far.

109-114. Moon Knight The Death of Marc Spector. The indica didn't match up, but eventually found it in I beleive Moon Knight volume 5, Hardcovers.
    Collects Moon Knight 21-25, and Moon Knight Silent Knight books.
  • Posted: October 22, 2019 7:27:51 pm
  • Spector said:
    got a few things in and read all but one:

108. Amazing Spider-man #5. Handled with kid gloves, ditko art and Spidey faces Dr. Doom (his robot).

the seller of this book tossed in 2 free hardback graphic novels, but have only read through the first one thus far.

109-114. Moon Knight The Death of Marc Spector. The indica didn't match up, but eventually found it in I beleive Moon Knight volume 5, Hardcovers.
    Collects Moon Knight 21-25, and Moon Knight Silent Knight books.
  • Posted: October 22, 2019 7:29:09 pm
  • Messed up- Spector what a fantastic read on that amazing spider book. Super jealous. I have a couple of early issues in the 40s and was super nervous handling - good for you!
  • Posted: October 22, 2019 8:26:11 pm
  • Thanks imcubillo!
    One of those times where things lined up perfectly, and was happy that it was still around a week later after finding it. I passed up getting a Werewolf by night #32 yet again. This is like the 3rd time that has happened, but not upset by the alternative one bit.
    That is awesome on your 40's books! What are they?
    I have one book from 1949 in mid grade, a two gun kid book. That is my only one from the 40's and the oldest book I have.
  • Posted: October 23, 2019 12:20:36 pm
  • Sorry for the confusion when i said the 40's i meant i have several Amazing Spider-man in the 40 number range.

I have an amazing 41 and amazing 46 in mid range shape, first appearance Rhino and Shocker.
  • Posted: October 23, 2019 1:38:46 pm
  • HA,

I wish I had seen this post at the beginning of the month. A few months ago I read through all of the 22 issues of my AKIRA collection while I was doing my Chemotherapy treatments. I actually began to re-read my 5 issue Daredevil - The Man Without Fear mini series.

I think this is a really cool thing! What is the challenge going to be for November?
  • Posted: October 23, 2019 8:36:02 pm
  • imcubillo said:
    Sorry for the confusion when i said the 40's i meant i have several Amazing Spider-man in the 40 number range.

I have an amazing 41 and amazing 46 in mid range shape, first appearance Rhino and Shocker.

Ah, gotcha!
    I don't have either of those Spidey books, so I am definitely jealous of those.
    Real nice!

And @CarlM I think I may have one issue of that DD mini series, let us know how the series is. That is one I have been meaning to get to read.
  • Posted: October 24, 2019 1:07:31 pm
  • Spector said:
    And @CarlM I think I may have one issue of that DD mini series, let us know how the series is. That is one I have been meaning to get to read.
    Spector, if you're referring to the 90's series by Frank Miller and John Romita Jr. I have a few complete sets. Just give me the word and I can send a set to you. Think I paid a buck an issue so not worried about the money, I'd rather you got to enjoy them instead.

Last edited October 24, 2019 1:10:09 pm
    Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Posted: October 24, 2019 2:50:04 pm
  • Forgot to do this for September...based on my consolidation and tracking skills I had the group at 738 comics!

Atom was the heavy lifter with 409 comics.

Atom - 409
    Action Ace - 136
    Spector - 106
    imcubillo - 86
    MacheteF7 - 1

That is a whole lot of reading fellas! Nice job.

With ~1 week left in October here is were we stand as a group: 437 total!
  • Posted: October 24, 2019 3:00:04 pm
  • imcubillo said:
    Forgot to do this for September...based on my consolidation and tracking skills I had the group at 738 comics!

Atom - 409
    Action Ace - 136
    Spector - 106
    imcubillo - 86
    MacheteF7 - 1

That's right fellas, read 'em and weep! I've doubled that for this month so far, no big deal. The new Spider-Man series #1 & 2 Applause

Last edited October 24, 2019 3:03:01 pm
    Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Posted: October 24, 2019 4:16:15 pm
  • This week's comics

#104 Star Wars #73
    #105 Batgirl #40
    #106 Dial H for HERO #8
    #107 Terrifics #21
    #108 Freedom Fighters #10
    #109 Wonder Woman #81
    #110 Flash #81
    #111 Flash Forward #2
    #112 Batman #81
    #113 Batman/ Superman #3
    #114 Jimmy Olsen #4
    #115 Action Comics #1016
    #116 Justice League #34: good week all around, but this would be my pick of the litter

That's last new comics for this month as I have nothing on my pull list for next week.
  • Posted: October 24, 2019 5:28:54 pm
  • MacheteF7 said:
    Spector said:
    Spector, if you're referring to the 90's series by Frank Miller and John Romita Jr. I have a few complete sets. Just give me the word and I can send a set to you. Think I paid a buck an issue so not worried about the money, I'd rather you got to enjoy them instead.

That is pretty awesome of you, and I messaged you. Will be returning the favor and sending something you like, your way in return. Thanks!
    And as far as having only 2 books read...it is the quality, not the quantity lol.
    This new Spidey series is pretty freaking awesome so far. Thoroughly enjoyed.
  • Posted: October 25, 2019 1:36:53 am
  • imcubillo said:
    Forgot to do this for September...based on my consolidation and tracking skills I had the group at 738 comics!

Atom - 409
    Action Ace - 136
    Spector - 106
    imcubillo - 86
    MacheteF7 - 1

Dang . . . didn't realise there was a tally! LOL . . . I'll need to do some serious catching up!!
  • Posted: October 28, 2019 6:52:56 pm
  • Justice League of America #91-92 and #94-99.

This is the era of the 52 pages for 25 cents so each issue gets you a couple of Golden Age reprints which is really nice.

Neal Adams does a few pages of interior art in issue #94 and by the end of this set of issues his head drawings are what adorn the covers. Sadly, the only member he draws in full, other than Batman, is Aquaman.

Among the letter writers are Mark Gruenwald who is tired of aliens showing up every issue and future "Answer Man" Bob Rozakis.

Green Lantern's book is now cancelled too. That leaves Superman, Batman and The Flash as the only members with their own titles. Green Lantern and Green Arrow moved to the backup in Flash and some of the others would make their way into backup features shortly.

8 more for 124
  • Posted: October 29, 2019 12:19:37 pm
  • Need to make a last push!

48. Resonant 1 - pretty decent
    49. Dead eyes 1
    50. curse of brimstone 1 - pretty bad
    51-53. Dynamo 5 - 5,6,7
    54. strong box 1
    55. leave on the light 1
    56. valkyrie 1
    57. web of venom 1
    58. plot 1 - this was a homage to an old house of secrets cover, awesome art
    59. Joker/Harley criminal sanity - very cool book and love the large format
  • Posted: October 30, 2019 2:08:19 am
  • 4. Daredevil: Ninja #1
    5. Daredevil: Ninja #2
    6. Daredevil: Ninja #3

My reading for last night. I'm not much of a Daredevil fan, but it was cool to learn something new about the character.
  • Posted: October 31, 2019 1:18:56 am
  • imcubillo said:

Atom - 409
    Action Ace - 136
    Spector - 106
    imcubillo - 86
    MacheteF7 - 1

I think I've hit about the same this month, but keep forgetting to list them this time. Sad
  • Posted: October 31, 2019 7:50:47 am
  • Though I didn't participate, I enjoyed seeing what everyone was reading. Thanks for making this a fun forum!
  • Posted: November 1, 2019 2:40:49 am
  • I am definitely looking forward to next month . . . only posted 6 but I'm definitely more motivated to get through my stack of comics. I can only improve!

Onward and upwards!
  • Posted: November 1, 2019 8:04:13 am
  • My final tally for the month!

60-66 - Scion #1-7: I bought a huge lot of Crossgen comics (300+) for real cheap as the company was founded in Tampa where I live and I had picked up a few issues when they first came out. I know they had issues as a company but I am loving this first initial title. The quality for being made in 2000 is awesome.

67 - Dynamo 5 #8
    68- Once and future #3

Put in your final tallies and start the month again!
64 posts • Page 1 of 7
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 54 years, 123 days, 16 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Devil's Due Publishing's Alexandria Ocasio-Cortex And The Freshman Force: Squad Special Issue # 1c
  • A Wave Blue World's Dead Legends TPB # 1
  • Image Comics's Undiscovered Country Issue # 1-2nd print
  • Archie Comics Group's Vampironica: New Blood Issue # 1b
CBR.com member auction items ?