feature requests

Favorite Active Writter....not named... (Comic Book Forums)

• Favorite Active Writter....not named...

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 25, 2019 8:48:46 pm
  • What is your favorite active writter not named Hickman, Cates, Snyder, and Lemire.

For me i am actually coming around on Skottie Young who has crafted a very emotional story in middlewest.

Next is nick Spenser, but I am cheating because have not read his amazing but am loving superior foes.

I think Kieron Gillen has been amazing in die and once and future, awesome books that are very hot due to a great story.
  • Posted: September 26, 2019 2:00:29 am
  • Jason Aaron is killing it on Conan The Barbarian, and he's been a solid Marvel writer for quite a while now. I can always rely on a good story from him.

Greg Rucka is another extremely solid writer that's been around for quite a while now and has never disappointed me. Probably my favorite writer, now that I think about it.

Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: September 26, 2019 7:09:58 am
  • imcubillo said:
    For me i am actually coming around on Skottie Young who has crafted a very emotional story in middlewest.
    Middlewest is pretty good, I've been following it
    Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Posted: September 26, 2019 10:28:24 am
  • Not sure if anyone has been following the new Usagi Yojimbo series from IDW. It's been a fun read. Stan Sakai's known more for his art but his writing is just as good.

For those wanting something on a more serious tone I would recommend Brian Wood. I've been reading his recent Sword Daughter series from Dark Horse and have enjoyed every issue so far.

Mark Waid's stuff is usually pretty good too. Kingdom Come was one of my all time favorites but I've been impressed with his recent work on Archie.

Last edited September 26, 2019 10:30:07 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: September 26, 2019 2:12:12 pm
  • Just wanted to add another: Walt Simonson. His Ragnarok (undead Thor) comic has been great.

Last edited September 26, 2019 2:12:28 pm
  • Posted: September 26, 2019 10:27:58 pm
  • I enjoy most all of what I have read from Brian Bendis thus far.
    People want to know. How can I live like this? The risks? The times I've descended into madness? The times I've died? How can I live like this? How could I live any other way?
  • Posted: September 26, 2019 10:51:32 pm
  • imcubillo said:
    What is your favorite active writter not named Hickman, Cates, Snyder, and Lemire.

Next is nick Spenser, but I am cheating because have not read his amazing but am loving superior foes.

I think Kieron Gillen has been amazing in die and once and future, awesome books that are very hot due to a great story.

Hickman and Lemire rate as "like." It's been six years since I bought a Hickman title (Avengers World) and two for Lemire (Black Hammer #13).

I've enjoyed Snyder's JLA and most of his DC work, he'd be a threat for the medal stand at least.

I have never read a comic written by Donny Cates.

My top 5

1. Mark Waid: My all time favorite writer. The last thing I read by him was Captain Kidd two years ago. He's still putting out new work, so he'd qualify as an active writer.

2. Geoff Johns: Doomsday Clock and Shazam! He's not prolific and I question how much longer he'll be working at DC Comics.

3. Grant Morrison: Green Lantern

4. Kurt Busiek: Batman: Creature of the Night next month, hopefully a new OGN of Astro City in 2020.

5. Brian Michael Bendis: off to a great start on the Super comics, Young Justice, Event Leviathan and Batman Universe, hopefully the Legion follows suit. He certainly wins on good quantity in 2019.

Mark Millar, Scott Snyder, Greg Rucka, Josh Middleton and Greg Pak would probably fill out the top 10.
  • Posted: September 26, 2019 10:56:34 pm
  • @Action Ace yeah, I agree with Millar and Snyder as well. I have not been disappointed so far.
    People want to know. How can I live like this? The risks? The times I've descended into madness? The times I've died? How can I live like this? How could I live any other way?
  • Posted: September 27, 2019 10:41:08 am
  • I guess when imcubillo posted "...favorite active writer not named Hickman, Cates, Snyder, and Lemire" I assumed he meant writers who aren't as recognized. Some of you went ahead and mentioned Snyder and Bendis, so I'll join in. I really love Snyder's work on Justice League. It's the best it's been in a long time. Bendis' is not my favorite on superhero titles. Right now I am patiently awaiting for his demise from Superman...but I do like his writing when he does his own creator owned books.
  • Posted: September 27, 2019 12:15:31 pm
  • I don't read much newer books anymore. My vote goes to Garth Ennis!
    Great runs on Hellblazer, Demon, Preacher, Hitman, Punisher and The Boys. Some of my favourite's of all time.
  • Posted: September 27, 2019 4:40:56 pm
  • Rapha1978 said:
    I guess when imcubillo posted "...favorite active writer not named Hickman, Cates, Snyder, and Lemire" I assumed he meant writers who aren't as recognized. Some of you went ahead and mentioned Snyder and Bendis, so I'll join in. I really love Snyder's work on Justice League. It's the best it's been in a long time. Bendis' is not my favorite on superhero titles. Right now I am patiently awaiting for his demise from Superman...but I do like his writing when he does his own creator owned books.

I was under the impression that, if they were included, he thought everyone would pick those four.
  • Posted: September 30, 2019 7:12:30 am
  • Rick Remender ... no one mentioned him yet? He's outstanding. Deadly Class, Tokyo Ghost, Low, and Seven to Eternity are really good titles each with their own style [and great art, he seems to always team up with someone amazing].

Black Science was great but I sort of lost the story thread and honestly don't really understand what's been going on, but that can happen easily with multiple dimensions and identities.

Death or Glory is still young but that's good too.

12 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • BOOM! Studios's Buffy The Vampire Slayer Issue # 7f
  • Dark Horse Comics's Legend of Korra TPB # 5
  • IDW Publishing's My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue # 84
  • Image Comics's Oblivion Song Issue # 21
CBR.com member auction items ?