feature requests

Comic Book Gallery Shows or Displays (Comic Book Forums)

• Comic Book Gallery Shows or Displays

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 20, 2019 9:00:56 am
  • I am looking for ideas on displaying comics. Have you seen a memorable display that stuck with you? I would like to hear about it.

The reason being, last year I decided to come back to collecting and went to my local area comicon. I had a great time and felt that connection to others in my community of a shared love of something in common. It could have been Marvel, Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr. Who, etc., but out of all the booths I didn't see anything in the way of appreciating the art in comics. So I got an idea that I am going to spend the coming year to develop a collection of Todd McFarlane, John Byrne, Frank Miller, and Jim Lee art. Not this year, but next I plan to have a space and display a gallery style layout of some of the best art. I want people to see what those of us who read these book and appreciate them see. Walking around, you saw the same vendors with the long white boxes trying to make a buck and that is fine cause thats part of it, but sometimes you just want to see it. Some of these kids have never see the opening spread in Spiderman 1 or the Uncanny X-men 268 Jim Lee cover. So that is my goal. To make a mobile gallery to showcase these talents that helped create and add to these characters we have been reading about most of out lives at this point.

So comments please. Ideas please. Get philosophical. Wax poetic. What is that image that you think is notable? What do you think the historic moments in comics are?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing what you got to say.
  • Posted: September 20, 2019 10:45:39 am
  • That is a tall order man! lol
    This does sound like a fun and amazing project. Having the vision, is one part putting it into creation is another.
    Hoping you already have some brilliant ideas, and are able to piggy back some more from others comments to make it happen.
    I will toss a minor contribution your way. Displaying books, this is a great product that I have been using for awhile now.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/245977671/comicmount-comic-book-frame-display?ref=shop_home_active_3&frs=1
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: September 20, 2019 10:55:33 am
  • Nice. That is what I am looking for. Thanks for the direction on that.

I plan to gather all this over the coming year. So the cost can be spread out. Will post pics when I can. I have a small group of friends that are artist that I have helped over the years (building frames for paintings and stuff like that). So they were quick to lend some thoughts.

Thank for your input Spector. Much appreciated.
  • Posted: September 20, 2019 2:26:44 pm
  • I think this is a great idea Megladon. If it's to showcase comics then my advice would be to display them so that they can be viewed up close, but not touched. You don't want people flipping through them and bending anything.

If you have ever been to any knife, coin, or card shows, they normally put items in display cases. The problem is that a comic is much larger than coins, so you may have to build a display case that is wall mounted, or stands upright vertically. You could choose to frame and mount one comic at a time but then you will need more wall space. If I were doing this I'd try and figure out a way to do a traveling show I could set up anywhere without having to lease space. Good luck on your endeavor and keep us updated.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: September 20, 2019 3:22:11 pm
  • MacheteF7 : Thanks for the link. I like what I see.

Rapha1978 : I have been thinking about that and everything will be under glass or acrylic. I want people to look at the art like they would in a gallery. I thought about cases, but I want my exhibit to be flexible. We have an art street fest here in my hometown and I want to be able to set up my kit there. I want to be able to put this up just about anywhere. Plus my major focus is going to be covers. There will be some larger center fold type pics too, but covers are what stands out to me. Being a history scholar, I want to display significant panels, some really specific moments in comics, like Gwen Stacey's death or Bullseye killing Electra.

Thanks for the input.
  • Posted: October 31, 2019 5:42:38 am
  • MegladonALPHA said:
    I am looking for ideas on displaying comics. Have you seen a memorable display that stuck with you? I would like to hear about it.

I'm not sure about shows, but for my man-cave and office wall at work's rotating comic cover displays I just use simple black 8 x 12 frames I buy for a buck each at the local dollar store. The black sets everything off nicely, even for comics that most collectors would call Longbox Junk. . .

Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 31, 2019 9:59:04 am
  • Thanks a bunch for this. I would have never thought of the dollar store as a source for frames, but I really like the look of that wall. Thanks!
  • Posted: October 31, 2019 2:27:49 pm
  • Atom that is so awesome. Thanks for sharing. I did something similar in my early days of collecting, but it was back when I was single. I don't think my wife would allow me to decorate the home like that now.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: October 31, 2019 9:42:00 pm
  • My wife knew what she was getting into when she married me!

That said. . .

The comics stay in the basement. Shame on you
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 31, 2019 10:40:23 pm
  • Tight set up atom!
    If you had a shower and a refrigerator in "said" basement, there really would not be a reason to ever leave there.
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
11 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Edge of Spider-Verse Issue # 2lee
  • Sofawolf Press's Heat Soft Cover # 4
  • Dark Horse Comics's Masterpiece Issue # 4b
  • Ab3 12c Ent.'s The Nefarious Smyths Issue # 6b