feature requests

Comic Box Storage (Comic Book Forums)

• Comic Box Storage

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 8, 2019 9:26:50 pm
  • I've heard that storing your long/short comic boxes against an outside wall is dangerous for them. Is this still the case even if they are always out of the light, kept in a cool room with fans blowing near them, and stored upright in proper comic boxes? If it's still an issue, does anyone know what I might be able to put on the wall to go between the boxes and the wall to help protect them? In my new living environment, against the wall is my only option.
    Thanks
  • Posted: September 9, 2019 12:48:47 am
  • Never heard of that one before. I wouldn't worry about it. I have stored comic boxes in probably the most impractical ways over the years and my comics were fine. One I can remember was while going through a divorce I kept them in a outside public storage for almost two years.

Last edited September 9, 2019 12:49:50 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: September 10, 2019 1:08:09 am
  • About 40 boxes of mine have been in a basement room up against a concrete outside wall for almost 5 years and there's nothing wrong with them. I also have a bunch of longboxes stacked in an outside public storage shed with no climate control (half of the comics in there not even bagged) and nothing is wrong with them.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: October 23, 2019 1:50:43 pm
  • Rapha1978 said:
    Never heard of that one before. I wouldn't worry about it. I have stored comic boxes in probably the most impractical ways over the years and my comics were fine. One I can remember was while going through a divorce I kept them in a outside public storage for almost two years.

Never had to go through a divorce, but know someone who has, they were not a comic collector and I am glad because it was a messy one.

I make sure to keep my boxes on the inside wall of my room. Being in Michigan, the walls go from room temperature in the summer to really cold in the winter. I also have and still do, stack my boxes.

Does anyone have any of those newer plastic boxes that they are selling now and what do you think of them?
  • Posted: October 24, 2019 5:54:00 pm
  • CarlM said:
    Rapha1978 said:
    Never heard of that one before. I wouldn't worry about it. I have stored comic boxes in probably the most impractical ways over the years and my comics were fine. One I can remember was while going through a divorce I kept them in a outside public storage for almost two years.

Never had to go through a divorce, but know someone who has, they were not a comic collector and I am glad because it was a messy one.

I make sure to keep my boxes on the inside wall of my room. Being in Michigan, the walls go from room temperature in the summer to really cold in the winter. I also have and still do, stack my boxes.

Does anyone have any of those newer plastic boxes that they are selling now and what do you think of them?

I have been looking at those plastic storage boxes, but haven't pulled the trigger just yet. I found a pretty good deal, if you are interested in them though. It amounts to only $8 a box, if you get 5 of them. Not bad as the single box price I have seen for up to $20.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574961614&toolid=10001&campid=5336824214&customid=cbrf&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FMax-Pro-Premium-Plastic-Flip-Top-Comic-Storage-Box-1-2-5-10-Gray%2F132744353472%3Fvar%3D432055897113
    People want to know. How can I live like this? The risks? The times I've descended into madness? The times I've died? How can I live like this? How could I live any other way?
  • Posted: October 25, 2019 10:31:31 am
  • Thanks for the info Spector, That is a great deal. I have been considering purchasing more long boxes. This deal would also be better than those. I have a few apple boxes that I got from a grocery store that I have been storing some in. they are easy to carry and sturdy. Confused
  • Posted: October 25, 2019 2:31:27 pm
  • Can anyone pass any information on about a comic drawer system? Running out of space to store and stack my shorts and longs....but I have a dresser I can move if there's a comic drawer system I can find to put in its place.
  • Posted: October 25, 2019 3:06:27 pm
  • I use Legal Size file cabinets.
    You can almost get 2 long box's per drawer (2 rows)
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: October 25, 2019 5:01:06 pm
  • How do you keep the comics upright and from sliding side to side?
  • Posted: October 25, 2019 5:09:52 pm
  • I just stand them up in 2 rows, unless you are tilting the cabinet they should be fine. To keep them up you can adjust the sliding brace on the back end for how tight you need. I guess if you wanted you could put a piece of cardboard down the middle to keep rows secure.
    I also cut out some thin plywood for a brace for the front and back of the drawer.
    I also put odd numbered books on one side and even on the other for any given series. I just use legal folders as dividers for each series.
    Example
    Folder
    Batman 1 Batman 2
    Batman 3 Batman 4
    Folder
    Avengers 1 Avengers 2
    Folder

Last edited October 25, 2019 5:19:23 pm

• Posted: October 26, 2019 7:21:33 pm
  • I use the BCW short box with the house, I have not gone super high but tested and think I can get them five high. Currently have them 3 high and love them. They are short and if you order in bulk you get a good discount and over 80 bucks I think you get free shipping.
  • Posted: October 26, 2019 7:26:23 pm
  • Any chance you could post a couple pics of your file cabinet storage?
  • Posted: October 27, 2019 10:57:33 am
  • Right now I have all the boxes/houses in a close and 10 wide and eventually 3 high. There is a regular closet shelf that is preventing me from going much higher. So as my collection grows I need to determine if I get rid of the shelf or if I just build another shelf and start another stack. More than likely I will remove the shelf and just keep stacking them.

I don’t really know how to post pictures on the forum so hopefully this works. The first picture just shows my boxes on top of each other. The second picture shows one of the boxes removed and the bottom house holding up the other two boxes.

https://comicbookrealm.com/photos/photo_25354_f.jpg

https://comicbookrealm.com/photos/photo_25355_f.jpg

Let me know if you want more pics
  • Posted: October 27, 2019 3:45:50 pm
  • This is the back of the drawer in front of the slider to give a flat support for the comics, have one in the front as well. I used a thin piece of wall panel for both, it's the brown thing you see.

This is how they are put in the drawer. Like I said you can put something down the middle if you're concerned about movement. I just use a legal sized green divider to seperate series. I organize odd and even to keep the rows the same length.

These are just Legal Size 4 drawer cabinets, you can get 2 drawer as well. I have 4 that I use.

• Posted: October 28, 2019 4:00:27 pm
  • Wow those are all very helpful guys thanks so much!
    Canuck, what about golden age/magazine sized books? Will they fit?
    Is anyone in earthquake country? I live in CA so that is my main concern with any of your three ideas.
  • Posted: October 28, 2019 4:51:44 pm
  • Magazines/GN are to tall to fit, and to wide to make 2 rows.
    I have one drawer that I put all my GN and magazines in, I just put them in on their side so when I look at them I can read the spine, just keep them tight so they don't bend.

17 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 53 years, 354 days, 17 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Boneyard Press's Dahmer's Zombie Squad Issue # 1
  • Papercutz's Hotel Transylvania Soft Cover # 2
  • Marvel Comics's Web of Black Widow Issue # 1comic mint-b
  • Image Comics's Wetworks: Classified Issue # 2