feature requests

September Reading Challenge 100 Comics (Comic Book Forums)

• September Reading Challenge -100 Comics

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 30, 2019 12:11:38 pm
  • I know everyone is busy but with the new month almost here I wanted to throw down a challenge.

100 comics read during the month of September.

You read any floppy, digital comic that counts as 1. A massive graphic novel cover 25 issues, then you have 25 under your belt.

Pretty simple, keep track and for those taking on the challenge we can check back here at the end of the month.

Hope some of you join me.
  • Posted: August 30, 2019 12:36:59 pm
  • imcubillo, I like it! I challenged myself last year to read an average of 100 each month, and ended the year with 1203 total comics read. 100 in a month is very doable.
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
  • Posted: August 30, 2019 10:37:21 pm
  • Nice challenge!
    I am game for that too. When I can, I read a few a day, but not every day I am able to do it. But with some time off of work, I do crack more than a few open.
    This should be fun, and it would also be neat as anyone that is going to do this challenge and tracking it....to track the books read as well. For me at least, it is interesting to look through other people's reading piles. Especially a list 100 deep.
    People want to know. How can I live like this? The risks? The times I've descended into madness? The times I've died? How can I live like this? How could I live any other way?
  • Posted: September 3, 2019 7:47:42 am
  • Good idea imcubillo, I will get in on this!
    Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Posted: September 4, 2019 12:42:51 am
  • 100 comics? Easy. I read 4 floppies and a Graphic Novel tonight from my daughter's collection:

Nightcrawler (2002) 4 issue mini.
    Surprisingly thoughtful story with great art. Coming soon as I can get it done as the first Longbox Junk Reader Request Edition. Congratulations to MegladonALPHA for winning the random draw! Very Happy

Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass GN.
    Unless you like HEAVY doses of LGBTQ agenda mixed in with a complete disregard for the established origin of a character, steer clear. Great art, though.

Also read the 5 issue Terminator: The Burning Earth mini last night.
    A pretty dark and brutal story with a lazy ending backed up by some hit and miss artwork from Alex Ross' first professional comic job.

That's 39 so far. I probably deserve 1 extra point to make an even 40 for actually reading the God-Awful Harley Quinn GN to the last page instead of giving up halfway through it, though. . .

Seriously. Breaking Glass is the worst thing I've read in a LONG time.

Last edited September 4, 2019 1:02:30 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: September 4, 2019 5:39:00 pm
  • whoa, atom you are on a roll!

Only a couple of days in but so far:
    1. Thor #16
    2. Spider-man Life Story #6 The '10;s
    3. Spider-Man Velocity #1
    4. Sandman Overture #1
    5. Amazing Spider-man #64
    6. Web of Black Widow #1 (cool read)
    7. True Believers Hulk Head of Banner #1 (reprint of Hulk #6)
    8. Punisher #15
    9. Immortal Hulk #23 (great issue!)
    10. Spawn #300 (the wait is over!)
    11. Captain America Steve Rogers #6 (civil war 2 book)
    12. Detective Comics #663 (Knighfall story)
    13. Batman and Robin #11
    People want to know. How can I live like this? The risks? The times I've descended into madness? The times I've died? How can I live like this? How could I live any other way?
  • Posted: September 4, 2019 11:54:22 pm
  • Read all 8 issues of the New52 Blackhawks series tonight (bought them bundled for five lousy bucks at the LCS. . .a Longbox Junk deal I could NOT pass up!)

Hard military/Sci-Fi action with some pretty good art. I'd call it a hidden New52 gem. The ending was a bit rushed, so it looks like it was supposed to go on a bit longer than it did. Will probably do a Longbox Junk entry on it eventually. Not bad at all.

Check out the great cover for #5! Almost worth the 5 bucks by itself. Very Happy

That makes 47. Should probably have made it 200 for a Junker like me.

Last edited September 5, 2019 12:05:00 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: September 5, 2019 6:41:54 am
  • Five days into the month and i am falling way behind!

1. Powers of X #2
    2. Powers of X #3
    3. Planet Caravan #1
    4. Headless #1
    5. Absolute Carnage vs Deadpool #1
    6. Sera and the Stars #1
    7. Red Winter #1
    8. Fearless #1
    9. Silk #1

I need to pick up the pace!
  • Posted: September 5, 2019 4:49:25 pm
  • Off to a good start here.

Reread the Joker: Clown Prince of Crime tpb and Joker: Devil's Advocate OGN.

9 new comics this week.

So through four days the list is...

1-9 Joker #1-9 (issue #7 with Lex is the pick here)
    10. Joker" Devil's Advocate (Dixon/ Nolan is one of my favorite Batman teams)
    11. Doomsday Clock #11
    12. Legion: Millennium #1 (WARNING: there is no Legion in the story)
    13. Justice League #31
    14. Lois Lane #3
    15. Supergirl #33
    16. Superman: Up in the Sky #3
    17. Green Lantern #11
    18. Star Wars #71
    19. Section Zero #6 (think Doomsday Clock is bad? I had to wait 20 years to get to the finish here.)
  • Posted: September 6, 2019 12:41:31 am
  • I've got a nice random mix tonight. . .

Blade Runner 2019 #2 (Titan):
    This might be under the radar because it's from Titan Comics, but if you like some hard Sci-Fi leaning toward detective noir, then you've got to check it out. They also scored a nice Artgerm cover for #1!

Immortal Hulk #23 (Marvel):
    I'm not normally a Hulk fan, but this series deserves all the hype it's getting! it's a crazy sci-fi superhero horror story backed up by some seriously twisted art.

Turok #5 (Dynamite):
    The best Turok series in a long time! Unfortunately, this is the last issue. I didn't realize this was a mini. I want this to be an ongoing, damn it! They leave the ending wide open, so here's hoping.

Scarface: Scarred for Life 4 issue mini (IDW 2007):
    Not the Batman villain, but Tony F'n Montana. It's the prequel you never knew you wanted about Tony growing up in Cuba. Reads and looks almost exactly like a chapter of 100 Bullets with a pretty good pair of Azarello/ Risso imitators on writing and art.

Wild Thing 5 issue mini (Marvel 1999):
    Anybody remember Wolverine and Elektra's daughter? Well here she is in high school and doing her best Spider-Man impression! This mini is 90's-Tastic in every way. . .good AND bad. Will probably end up in Longbox Junk at some point.

12 more for a total of 59.

Last edited September 6, 2019 1:09:03 am
  • Posted: September 6, 2019 4:52:47 pm
  • I should have read comics last night instead of watching the Bears.
  • Posted: September 6, 2019 5:04:35 pm
  • Back in the good ole days I used to read 50-100 comic books per week!! I was a security guard at a condo and it was not very bustling in the 2AM-5AM time-slot, which is when I did most of my reading. Do that for 15 years and it's no surprise I managed to read over 30,00 comic books.

I used to buy quite a lot of new titles, borrowed a bunch from friends and many were re-reads of my favourite titles from the past.

I don't read anywhere near as much as I used to. Probably 10-40 per month nowadays. I don't have the money anymore to be able to keep up with newer comic books. I blame TV!! It has gotten way too good in the last 10 years.
  • Posted: September 7, 2019 3:07:38 am
  • I used to read 20 - 30 titles a week back in the day, but not anymore, though I do still love the feeling of cracking open a new (that is, unread by me, not necessarily a new title) comic and seeing where the journey will take me.
    @Action Ace: You are undoubtedly right, though I believe you meant to write, Da Bears!
    Tenzil
  • Posted: September 7, 2019 6:41:24 pm
  • LCS had a dollar book sale today....came back with a boatload, and am off tomorrow, so I will be doing some reading for sure!
  • Posted: September 8, 2019 7:19:27 pm
  • addng to the tally....

14. Secret Avengers 12.1
    15. Secret Avengers 15 (fear itself)
    16. Secret Avengers 19 (great Warren Ellis tale)
    17. Secret Avengers 26
    18. Heroes for Hire #5
    19. X-force 1 (newest volume)
    20. X-force 2 (divided we stand, older volume)
    21. Patsy Walker A.K.A. Hellcat 1
    22. Power Pack 29
    23-24 Uncanny X-force 25-26
    25. Cerebus Woman 1
    26-28, New Mutants 29-31 (volume 1)
    29. Moon Knight 7 (Volume 1)
    30. Ultimate Iron Man 1 (surprisingly good!)
    31. Batman 59 (newest series)
    32. Original Sin 3.1 (Hulk vs Iron Man)
    33. Spawn 264
  • Posted: September 9, 2019 5:34:48 pm
  • In honor of #300, I reread my Spawn issues for the first time in 25 years or more.

So that's #1-17 and #21-24

Plus the two Batman/ Spawn crossover OGNs.

Not as bad as I had feared. The guest written ones certainly help the average.

The Batman/ Spawn crossover with Todd McFarlane and Frank Miller, is still my favorite thing Todd ever drew.

19+23= 42 comics so far.
  • Posted: September 10, 2019 12:44:52 am
  • I really didn't have much to do over the weekend but watch TV and read comic books (nice to have a lazy 3 days off sometimes), so here's what I've read since Thursday. . .

The complete Rebirth Batwoman run (DC 2017) 18 issues.
    Starts weak, ends strong. Artwork extremely uneven.

Blade: Crescent City Blues one shot (Marvel 1998 ).
    Great old-school Gene Colan horror art!

Chuck Norris and the Karate Kommandos #1 (Marvel 1987)
    What the hell was THAT? Steve Ditko deserved better.

Marvel Super Special #6 ( Marvel 1978 - Jaws 2 adaptation)
    More awesome Gene Colan art!

The Phantom (DC 1988 ) 4 issue mini
    Borderline bad art. Utterly average story.

Warhammer: Condemned by Fire (BOOM! 2008 ) 5 issue mini
    Honestly the best of the bunch! Fantastic art backing up a great story.

Sgt Rock: The Lost Battalion (DC 2009) 6 issue mini
    Billy Tucci art on one of my favorite characters. . .Hell yes! Really good.

Waterworld: Children of Leviathan (Acclaim 1997) 4 issue mini
    The sequel you never knew existed to the movie nobody liked.
    Bad art. Bad story. We're talkin' the worst of everything you can think of in a 90's comic.

Aliens vs. Predator: Eternal (Dark Horse 1998 ) 4 issue mini
    An interesting story backed up by early Alex Maleev art that's honestly better than what he's doing today. If you're a fan of Aliens/ Predator, you want to read this.

Savage Avengers (Marvel 2019) Issues #1 - #5
    I hate the idea of Conan and Punisher in the same comic. . .but Venom-possessed Conan is admittedly great. Strong start. . .weak end. Great Finch covers.

Thunderbolts (Marvel 2013) Issues #1 - #10
    Surprisingly good. The Steve Dillon art really helps sell this.

Snakes on a Plane (DC 2006) 2 issue mini
    Yep. They made a comic of this. Yep. The main character has had it with these Mother F'n Snakes! Like the movie, it's so bad it's sorta good.

AND. . .

For tonight, All-Star Western (DC 2011) Issues #0 - #14
    Jonah Hex and Amadeus Arkham in 1800's Gotham City and a steampunk version of New Orleans? Awwwwwww. . .YEAH! Going to finish the run tomorrow.

76 comics over the past 4 days for a total of. . .135! Very Happy

Last edited September 10, 2019 1:00:17 am
  • Posted: September 10, 2019 8:51:06 am
  • Great job Atom! We may need to up the challenge for October. I actually traveled out of state for a college football game so have not been able to catch up. I did get a couple of sweet compendiums delivered so that may help me drive up my numbers.

10. sea of stars 1
    11. Spiderman 2099 1
    12. Die #6
    13. Bully wars #3
    14. Black Cat #2
    15. Naomi #6
  • Posted: September 10, 2019 9:01:14 am
  • I've been straight out this month so I haven't been able to read yet until last night. I pulled out a bunch of random stuff and my first choice was to read the Longshot 1-6 issue series from the 80's. I suffered through the 1st issue and stopped about 3-4 pages into issue 2. It was the DUMBEST shit I've ever read in my life.

Here is my list so far:

1. Longshot #1

Last edited September 10, 2019 9:01:40 am
    Wubba lubba dub dub
  • Posted: September 10, 2019 11:38:22 pm
  • Finished the New52 All-Star Western run tonight. . .issues #15 - #34 for 19 issues and a total of 154!

After the first half the art started to swing in quality, but having the same writers on the run from start to finish kept things steady on the story side of things. Probably my favorite New 52 series.
  • Posted: September 11, 2019 2:40:48 am
  • Sorry to disappoint you, Atom, but the Math-Nerd in me won't let that go by. If you actually read issues #15 - 34 (inclusive) that is 20 comics for a total of 155! IMHO you were just trying to make us feel not so bad about our three comics read already this month! Wink

Last edited September 12, 2019 2:20:29 am
    Tenzil
  • Posted: September 11, 2019 8:50:14 am
  • That's what I get for trying to do the maths in my head. Very Happy
  • Posted: September 12, 2019 12:27:12 am
  • For today I read issues #1 - #12 of American Vampire (Vertigo 2010) to get ready for the second reader request edition of Longbox Junk. . .thanks to Brucifer for your suggestion, you've pulled the second random draw from the hat! Dancing

I remembered this being good, but I didn't remember just HOW good! This series would seriously make a great AMC or HBO show! The story is great and the art is amazing. If you're a horror fan and haven't read American Vampire, you've missed out on some great comics!

So that makes (counts on fingers) 167 comics total so far this month. Very Happy

THIS cover is definitely going up on the office wall for this year's Halloween comic cover display. . .

Last edited September 12, 2019 12:33:34 am
  • Posted: September 12, 2019 6:33:57 pm
  • Add in this week's comics

43. Batman #78
    44. Batman Universe #3
    45. Event Leviathan #4
    46. Flash #78
    47. Wonder Twins #7
    48. Wonder Woman #78
    49. Young Justice #8

and since I was in the neighborhood reading Spawn....

Youngblood #1-5: still an unmitigated disaster
    WildCATS #1-12: about as good as Spawn
    WildCATS Trilogy #1-3
    Wetworks #1-3
    Supreme #1
    PITT #1

It's certainly an interesting historical trip if nothing else.

49+25=74

A good spot, since I don't think I'll get any more reading done until next week.
  • Posted: September 14, 2019 6:29:46 am
  • Almost mid-month and trying to stay on track

16. Harlem breaking glass
    17. House of x #3
    18. Red sonja/vamperilla #2
    19. Star lord #1
    20. Guardians of the galaxy #6
    21. Batman who laughs #7
    22. Goddess #2
    23. Miles morales #9
    24. Something killing the children #1
    25. Pretty violent #1
    26. Absolute carnage miles morales #1
    27. Mall #1
    28. Die #7
  • Posted: September 16, 2019 5:04:40 pm
  • continuing on...

34-36. Silver Surfer Black 1, 2, 4 (LOVE THIS!)
    37. Marvel Monsters #1
    38. Tower of Shadows #9
    39. Hellblazer #66
    40. New Mutants Dead Souls #1
    41. Batman #78
    42. King Thor #1
    43. Gotham City Monsters #1
    44. Moon Knight Annual 1 (newest series)
    45. Unusual Tales #9 (Ditko from 1958!)
    46. Ghoul Tales Vol 1 #1
    47. Shock Vol 1 #4
    48. Curse of the Spawn #20
    49. Ultimates #2 (enjoyed this, and found a bunch more at the LCS dollar book sale to read later)
    50. Robin II #1

At the half way mark now. I have a ton in my reading pile ready to crack open, time permitting.
  • Posted: September 17, 2019 1:06:30 am
  • Five days' worth of comics here!
    (On my time off, I don't really get online. . .unless you count Xbox Very Happy)

Finished Vertigo's American Vampire run. Issues 13 - 34. 21 issues.
    The back half wasn't quite as tight as the front, and the ending was honestly a bit weak. Still some damn fine comics. Highly recommended.

The Adventures of Snake Plisskin (One shot - Marvel 1997)
    One of those "so bad it's sorta good" 90's-Tastic relics. Looks like it was supposed to be the first issue of an ongoing series that never got off the ground.

The full "Heroes Reborn" Captain America run (13 issues. Marvel 1996).
    Yep. THAT Captain America run. I read Every. Last. Goddam. Issue.
    It's bad. So bad. Will probably end up in Longbox Junk eventually.

And because THAT wasn't enough punishment. . .

I also read the full "Heroes Reborn" Avengers run! (12 issues. Marvel, 1996)
    Just because my daughter had them and some of the Captain America issues tied in. You know. . .a lot of people bag on the Liefeld Cap issues and completely forget that he ALSO slaughtered the Avengers. Now I want to forget too. Sad

Grendel vs. The Shadow (3 issue mini. Dark Horse 2014)
    A GREAT little mini starring two of my favorite characters! Matt Wagner is one of my favorite writer/artists and he does not disappoint here.

Started on Vertigo's DMZ (2006). Read issues 1 - 20.
    The story of an embedded reporter during America's second Civil War in the near future. This is a really interesting comic story with great art. Starts to wander a bit after a tight first arc. There's 74 issues, so this one might take me a few days.

So, 70 issues for a grand total (so far) of. . .237!

Last edited September 17, 2019 1:10:45 am
  • Posted: September 17, 2019 11:17:46 pm
  • knocked a few more down after getting in from work tonight.

51-55. Thor #1-5 (2007 series)

56-58. Punisher War Journal #11, 16 and Annual 1 (2007 series). Man that Annual is a friggen trip....literally.
  • Posted: September 18, 2019 8:57:28 am
  • atom said:
    100 comics? Easy. I read 4 floppies and a Graphic Novel tonight from my daughter's collection:

Nightcrawler (2002) 4 issue mini.
    Surprisingly thoughtful story with great art. Coming soon as I can get it done as the first Longbox Junk Reader Request Edition. Congratulations to MegladonALPHA for winning the random draw! Very Happy

Nightcrawler rocks!!!
  • Posted: September 18, 2019 4:45:09 pm
  • Slowly filling up the new box I got the other day.

59. New Avengers #13

60. Avengers: the children's crusade The Young Avengers #1

61-66. Young Avengers #3-4, 7-8, 11 and 14. I wasn't sure about this title, but grabbed some at the dollar box sale. Still not sure about it as my thoughts run from wtf did I just read?...to ok, that was pretty decent.
  • Posted: September 18, 2019 9:20:30 pm
  • made use of some free time and hit another series I had put aside. Probably the last for at least another day or so.

67-77. Daken Dark Wolverine # 6-7, 9.1, 12-17, 19, 21
    (I literally knew jack squat about this character and series. Absolutely enjoyed reading them all)
  • Posted: September 19, 2019 12:30:52 am
  • Over the past couple of days I've finished Vertigo's DMZ, issues #21 - #74 for 53 issues.

This series started strong but had a severe slump in the middle that was almost bad enough for me to lose interest and quit. Thankfully, it picked back up for a pretty satisfying ending.

It's a hefty stack of comics, and it's more character-driven than by action (in other words a LOT of dialogue), but if you're looking for something outside the superhero box, check it out.

Grand Total (so far): 290 Dancing

Last edited September 19, 2019 12:37:16 am
  • Posted: September 19, 2019 3:21:52 pm
  • adding in this week's comics

75. Batman #79
    76. Flash Forward #1
    77. Justice League #32
    78. Lex Luthor: Year of the Villain #1
    79. Supergirl #34
    80. Superman #15
    81. Jimmy Olsen #3

• Posted: September 21, 2019 11:23:58 pm
  • It's Batman Day, so I read a few Batcomics.

Batman #291-294

Detective Comics #475-476, 627

Batman: Dark Detective #1-6

13 brings me up 94

• Posted: September 22, 2019 7:47:57 am
  • Had a good couple of days but still not on pace....

29. New challengers #1 - not great
    30-33 Superior foes #1 - 4 super fun read
    34. House of x #4
    35. Absolute carnage # 2
    36. Shows end #1
    37 mountain head #1
    38 bad reception #1
    39. White trees #1
    40-46. Boys 17-23
  • Posted: September 23, 2019 3:43:50 pm
  • ...chugging along...

78-79. Ultimates #5 and #13.

80-82. Ultimates 2 #1, 3 and 6.

83-89. Ultmates 2 (volume 2) #2-7 and 9.

Really decent stories here, the stories in volume 2 were my favorites, and the artwork complimented them well.
  • Posted: September 23, 2019 6:28:57 pm
  • more Batman....

Batman Who Laughs Batman Day Edition (a much tolerable character when he's free)

Batman '66 #1-6

7 up to 101 and the challenge is met

• Posted: September 24, 2019 3:36:27 am
  • Didn't read too many comics since last time I checked in. I got stuck writing a training manual for new employees from scratch because our computers got switched out for shiny new ones, but they forgot to transfer any "non-essential" documents. . .WHOOPS!
    Applause

But I DID get a few in. . .and NEW comics at that!

Batman ( DC 2019) # 78 - #79
    Tom King's run can't end soon enough. Romance fan fiction crap with Batman sorting out his feelings for Catwoman in an island paradise. . .WHILE GOTHAM IS HELD HOSTAGE BY BANE AND AN ARMY OF SUPERVILLAINS! Nice art, though.

Blade Runner 2019 #3 (Titan Comics)
    As far as I'm concerned, this is the best new comic on the stands. Great Neo Noir Science Fiction action backed up by some really good art. It's not from a top tier publisher, but do yourself a favor and check it out if you like the Sci-Fi.

Detective Comics #1010 - #1011 (DC 2019)
    Filler crap propped up by unlikely coincidence, extreme suspension of disbelief, and (wrongly) assuming that Deadshot is an idiot. What a waste of page space. I was enjoying Detective as a sort of refuge from Tom King's Superhero romance fan fiction, but this is pretty damn bad.

Batman: Curse of The White Knight #2 (DC 2019)
    I'm a little on the fence with this one. On one hand, I LOVE having Azrael back! On the other hand. . .is this "Elseworlds" version the Azrael I want back? Either way, great art worth the price of admission alone.

The Punisher #14 - #15 (Marvel 2019)
    I'm REALLY liking the direction Punisher is taking! None of this outer-space monster fighting crap. Just good old anti-social Frank Castle reluctantly teaming up with Black Widow, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, Night Thrasher (wait. what?), AND the forgotten Longbox Junk female Punisher he worked with back a few volumes ago for the most messed up team ever! It's just great. Normally I'm not a fan of Punisher teaming up with superheroes, but this time it works. If you're a Punisher fan, you've got to be in on this one!

Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #36 (Marvel 2019)
    There's a lot of twists and turns for the payoff from the last few issues here, ending with Darth Vader showing back up! I haven't been a huge fan of the last story arc, and I'm pretty glad it's over. . .but I get the sinking feeling this series is winding down to a finale.

So that's a measly 9 issues for a grand total of 299! Dancing

Last edited September 24, 2019 3:36:54 am
  • Posted: September 24, 2019 5:03:00 pm
  • piggy backing on to atom...I hated that batman 78. I was in to the city of bane storyline and that teeny pop romance book killed it for me. I didn't even pick up 79. And I agree with the new punisher books. I picked up a few in this new run and was not disappointed.

Ok...on with the list.

90-105. Secret Avengers 2,3, 5-7, 9-15, 17-18, 21.1, 31 and 35.
    2 of the books I may have listed, but bought a lot and had the duplicates and read them again anyway.

106. Mighty Thor #196 (cool bronze age book and a double cover rarity!)
  • Posted: September 24, 2019 7:03:46 pm
  • Tom King's Bat and Cat #1

This is my boss, Bruce Wayne, a multi millionaire. He's quite a guy.

This is Selena Kyle. She's Gorgeous. She's one lady that knows how to take care of herself.

By the way, my name is Alfred. I take care of both of them. Which ain't easy. Because when they met, it was murder!

He doesn't want to write Batman, he wants to write Hart to Hart.

• Posted: September 25, 2019 1:20:39 am
  • Action Ace said:
    Tom King's Bat and Cat #1

This is my boss, Bruce Wayne, a multi millionaire. He's quite a guy.

This is Selena Kyle. She's Gorgeous. She's one lady that knows how to take care of herself.

By the way, my name is Alfred. I take care of both of them. Which ain't easy. Because when they met, it was murder!

He doesn't want to write Batman, he wants to write Hart to Hart.

Niiiiice. Applause

Thanks for the warning.
  • Posted: September 25, 2019 1:40:12 am
  • Still grinding my way through completely re-writing our lost employee training manual (You'd THINK they would have printed a copy and stashed it somewhere), but I got a few comics in tonight. . .

So we've been having a small discussion about Watchmen on Ed Gosney's "Cool Comics in My Collection" Facebook Page. . .SHAMELESS PLUG!

I took a step into a minefield by declaring that (in my EXTREMELY humble opinion), the "Before Watchmen" mini's that came out in 2012 were better than the original source material (Please don't hurt me). So I pulled a few out and re-read them. . .

Nite-Owl (DC 2012) 4 issues
    A pretty good story backed up by some of the last art from the legendary Joe Kubert!

Minutemen (DC 2012) 6 issues
    A very nice Golden-Age homage with a bit of a dark edge with art by the late, great, Darwyn Cooke. Probably my favorite of the Before Watchmen bunch.

Rorschach (DC 2012) 4 issues
    If you're a fan of the Azzarello/ Bermejo creative combo on "Joker" and "Batman: Damned" then you'll like this brutal tale of Rorschach in the 1970's done by the same team.

So 14 issues for a grand total (so far) of 313!
  • Posted: September 25, 2019 3:51:28 am
  • I've been loving this topic and hope we a new one for October. I've not gotten anywhere close to reaching the target with work, etc. but this is really motivating me to get back to reading! Please keep it going guys!
  • Posted: September 25, 2019 2:05:01 pm
  • I originally posted the challenge and may need October to meet and reach the goal. Too much football, work, daughters traveling soccer team....need to prioritize reading more.

47-55 boys 24-32
    56. Miles morales 10
    57. Silver surfer black 4
    58. Pretty deadly 1
    59-63 amazing Spidey 665-669
    64. Midnight sun 1
    65. Battlepug 1
    66. Pussycats 1
    67. Everything 1

I will tally all the results towards the end of the month.

Do we want to do another challenge in October? Stay at 100 or slightly increase.

I know I am not at 100 but this has put a dent into the reading pile
  • Posted: September 25, 2019 2:40:40 pm
  • @imcubillo that is cool if it will continue on, and think everyone that has participated could agree. Also...life happens and whether or not the goal of 100 was reached, you still got yourself into reading more, and others into doing it too. I think it is really cool checking out everyone's reading piles and any commentary left. You get to take a little closer look at things you might have missed out on.
  • Posted: September 25, 2019 6:21:16 pm
  • In my previous post i meant to say this has not put a dent in my reading pile. About 50% of my collection is unread and i plan to at some point read them all!

Lets keep it going.
  • Posted: September 25, 2019 7:56:06 pm
  • Batman '66 #7-15

for 110

then today's new comics

111. Dial H for Hero #7
    112. Freedom Fighters #9
    113. Wonder Woman #79
    114. Terrifics #20
    115. Batman/ Superman #2
    116. Batgirl #39
    117. Flash #79
    118. Shazam! #7
    119. Action Comics #1015
  • Posted: September 26, 2019 12:52:48 am
  • Action Ace said:

115. Batman/ Superman #2

What's your humble opinion of Batman/Superman? I've been on the fence about picking this one up because Batman has been in sort of a strange place since Rebirth started. . .
  • Posted: September 26, 2019 1:10:16 am
  • FINALLY finishing up writing our new training manual tonight, but still got some comics in. . .

I really liked AMC's Deadly Class (even though it went out like a chump on an unresolved cliffhanger!) so I grabbed a Deadly Class (Image 2014) TPB I spotted in my daughter's collection to check out tonight.

It covers the first 6 issues, which is about half of the first season of the show (Up to returning from their Las Vegas trip, for those who watched it) and it seems that for once, an adaptation followed the source material pretty closely! The art is a bit sketchy, but decent. If you liked the show, you'll like the comic.

Definitely grabbing the other two TPB's for tomorrow!

So since it's kind of a slim volume, I'll call this one 6 issues for a total of 319! Dancing

Last edited September 26, 2019 1:13:13 am
  • Posted: September 26, 2019 9:59:26 pm
  • atom said:
    Action Ace said:

115. Batman/ Superman #2

What's your humble opinion of Batman/Superman? I've been on the fence about picking this one up because Batman has been in sort of a strange place since Rebirth started. . .

Out of the starting gate well, but it is just a continuation of the Metal/ Batman Who Laughs storyline.
  • Posted: September 26, 2019 10:00:56 pm
  • atom said:
    FINALLY finishing up writing our new training manual tonight, but still got some comics in. . .

I really liked AMC's Deadly Class (even though it went out like a chump on an unresolved cliffhanger!) so I grabbed a Deadly Class (Image 2014) TPB I spotted in my daughter's collection to check out tonight.

It covers the first 6 issues, which is about half of the first season of the show (Up to returning from their Las Vegas trip, for those who watched it) and it seems that for once, an adaptation followed the source material pretty closely! The art is a bit sketchy, but decent. If you liked the show, you'll like the comic.

Definitely grabbing the other two TPB's for tomorrow!

So since it's kind of a slim volume, I'll call this one 6 issues for a total of 319! Dancing

Minor correction, Deadly Class was on SyFy. Had it been on AMC, it would probably still be on the air.
  • Posted: September 28, 2019 9:48:14 pm
  • Batman '66 #16-25
    Batman '66: The Lost Episode

11 more for 130
  • Posted: September 29, 2019 5:08:34 pm
  • A couple days of reading...

68. Superior foes of Spidey 5
    69. Fairlady 5 - not bad but solo shot mystery stories are getting old
    70. Unnatural 11
    71 & 72. East of west 1& 2
    73. Unnatural 12 - good ending to a decent story
    74. Powers of x 4
    75. Dollar comics detective comics 854 - great batwoman story
    76. Web of black widow #1
    77-79. Vampirella 1-3 first time reading anything about this character and they were a fun read - the covers really was the reason for the purchase
    80. House of x 5 awesome story and bringing all mutants together
    81. Absolute carnage 3
    82. Once & future 2
  • Posted: September 29, 2019 11:51:32 pm
  • Action Ace said:

Minor correction, Deadly Class was on SyFy. Had it been on AMC, it would probably still be on the air.

Oops. It seems like it should have been an AMC show. I just started watching it when my daughter had it on the DVR, so I guess I never paid attention to the channel.
  • Posted: September 30, 2019 3:09:56 am
  • Had some time to get in some good comic readin' this weekend. . .

Deadly Class (Image 2014) TPB #2 & #3
    Once again I was surprised that a comic-based T.V. show followed the source material so closely. It made me sad that the show ended so abruptly because the story past the show's cliffhanger was pretty damn good. Definitely going to keep my eye out for more of these.

Bruce Lee (Malibu, 1994) issues #1 - #6
    Yes. . .THAT Bruce Lee. Who knew this even existed? I picked these up from a dollar box recently. They're 90's-Tastic Longbox Junk at its best AND worst! Completely fictional tales of Bruce Lee. . .Martial Arts Superhero! These are the sort of comics that make you say "What did I just read?", but in a "so bad they're sorta good" way. I'm confused as to whether or not I actually liked them.

The Boys (Wildstorm/Dynamite, 2006) All goddamn 72 issues!
    I was digging through my collection looking for Halloween covers to put up on my office wall's rotating cover display and started reading the first few issues of The Boys while I was in a B box. Before I knew it, I was all in and reading the whole damn thing! This isn't going to be for everyone, and the ending is weak, but if you're looking for some of the foulest, most irreverent and deconstructive superhero comics ever written, this is where you go. Garth Ennis' mother should be proud.

So that's NINETY issues over the past 4 days for a grand total of 409! Shocked

Last edited September 30, 2019 3:15:09 am
  • Posted: September 30, 2019 6:59:39 pm
  • Good job everyone!
    My final tally as 86
    83. Harley and poison ivy 1
    84-86 superior foes of Spidey 6-8 amazing series loving this

I will tally our numbers once everyone has had their final posts.
  • Posted: September 30, 2019 7:23:31 pm
  • Batman '66 Meets Wonder Woman '77 #1-6

for a final total of 136
57 posts • Page 1 of 6
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 54 years, 33 days, 19 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Red 5 Comics's Machine Girl Issue # 1
  • Viz Media's Snow White with the Red Hair Soft Cover # 4
  • Skymap Comics's Star Power TPB # 2
  • Chapter House Publishing Inc.'s The Pitiful Human-Lizard TPB # 1-2nd print
CBR.com member auction items ?