feature requests

September Reading Challenge 100 Comics (Comic Book Forums)

• September Reading Challenge -100 Comics

Author Discussion
  • Posted: September 6, 2019 4:52:47 pm
  • I should have read comics last night instead of watching the Bears.
  • Posted: September 6, 2019 5:04:35 pm
  • Back in the good ole days I used to read 50-100 comic books per week!! I was a security guard at a condo and it was not very bustling in the 2AM-5AM time-slot, which is when I did most of my reading. Do that for 15 years and it's no surprise I managed to read over 30,00 comic books.

I used to buy quite a lot of new titles, borrowed a bunch from friends and many were re-reads of my favourite titles from the past.

I don't read anywhere near as much as I used to. Probably 10-40 per month nowadays. I don't have the money anymore to be able to keep up with newer comic books. I blame TV!! It has gotten way too good in the last 10 years.
  • Posted: September 7, 2019 3:07:38 am
  • I used to read 20 - 30 titles a week back in the day, but not anymore, though I do still love the feeling of cracking open a new (that is, unread by me, not necessarily a new title) comic and seeing where the journey will take me.
    @Action Ace: You are undoubtedly right, though I believe you meant to write, Da Bears!
    Tenzil
  • Posted: September 7, 2019 6:41:24 pm
  • LCS had a dollar book sale today....came back with a boatload, and am off tomorrow, so I will be doing some reading for sure!
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: September 8, 2019 7:19:27 pm
  • addng to the tally....

14. Secret Avengers 12.1
    15. Secret Avengers 15 (fear itself)
    16. Secret Avengers 19 (great Warren Ellis tale)
    17. Secret Avengers 26
    18. Heroes for Hire #5
    19. X-force 1 (newest volume)
    20. X-force 2 (divided we stand, older volume)
    21. Patsy Walker A.K.A. Hellcat 1
    22. Power Pack 29
    23-24 Uncanny X-force 25-26
    25. Cerebus Woman 1
    26-28, New Mutants 29-31 (volume 1)
    29. Moon Knight 7 (Volume 1)
    30. Ultimate Iron Man 1 (surprisingly good!)
    31. Batman 59 (newest series)
    32. Original Sin 3.1 (Hulk vs Iron Man)
    33. Spawn 264
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: September 9, 2019 5:34:48 pm
  • In honor of #300, I reread my Spawn issues for the first time in 25 years or more.

So that's #1-17 and #21-24

Plus the two Batman/ Spawn crossover OGNs.

Not as bad as I had feared. The guest written ones certainly help the average.

The Batman/ Spawn crossover with Todd McFarlane and Frank Miller, is still my favorite thing Todd ever drew.

19+23= 42 comics so far.
  • Posted: September 10, 2019 12:44:52 am
  • I really didn't have much to do over the weekend but watch TV and read comic books (nice to have a lazy 3 days off sometimes), so here's what I've read since Thursday. . .

The complete Rebirth Batwoman run (DC 2017) 18 issues.
    Starts weak, ends strong. Artwork extremely uneven.

Blade: Crescent City Blues one shot (Marvel 1998 ).
    Great old-school Gene Colan horror art!

Chuck Norris and the Karate Kommandos #1 (Marvel 1987)
    What the was THAT? Steve Ditko deserved better.

Marvel Super Special #6 ( Marvel 1978 - Jaws 2 adaptation)
    More awesome Gene Colan art!

The Phantom (DC 1988 ) 4 issue mini
    Borderline bad art. Utterly average story.

Warhammer: Condemned by Fire (BOOM! 2008 ) 5 issue mini
    Honestly the best of the bunch! Fantastic art backing up a great story.

Sgt Rock: The Lost Battalion (DC 2009) 6 issue mini
    Billy Tucci art on one of my favorite characters. . . yes! Really good.

Waterworld: Children of Leviathan (Acclaim 1997) 4 issue mini
    The sequel you never knew existed to the movie nobody liked.
    Bad art. Bad story. We're talkin' the worst of everything you can think of in a 90's comic.

Aliens vs. Predator: Eternal (Dark Horse 1998 ) 4 issue mini
    An interesting story backed up by early Alex Maleev art that's honestly better than what he's doing today. If you're a fan of Aliens/ Predator, you want to read this.

Savage Avengers (Marvel 2019) Issues #1 - #5
    I hate the idea of Conan and Punisher in the same comic. . .but Venom-possessed Conan is admittedly great. Strong start. . .weak end. Great Finch covers.

Thunderbolts (Marvel 2013) Issues #1 - #10
    Surprisingly good. The Steve Dillon art really helps sell this.

Snakes on a Plane (DC 2006) 2 issue mini
    Yep. They made a comic of this. Yep. The main character has had it with these Mother F'n Snakes! Like the movie, it's so bad it's sorta good.

AND. . .

For tonight, All-Star Western (DC 2011) Issues #0 - #14
    Jonah Hex and Amadeus Arkham in 1800's Gotham City and a steampunk version of New Orleans? Awwwwwww. . .YEAH! Going to finish the run tomorrow.

76 comics over the past 4 days for a total of. . .135! Very Happy

Last edited September 10, 2019 1:00:17 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: September 10, 2019 8:51:06 am
  • Great job Atom! We may need to up the challenge for October. I actually traveled out of state for a college football game so have not been able to catch up. I did get a couple of sweet compendiums delivered so that may help me drive up my numbers.

10. sea of stars 1
    11. Spiderman 2099 1
    12. Die #6
    13. Bully wars #3
    14. Black Cat #2
    15. Naomi #6
  • Posted: September 10, 2019 9:01:14 am
  • I've been straight out this month so I haven't been able to read yet until last night. I pulled out a bunch of random stuff and my first choice was to read the Longshot 1-6 issue series from the 80's. I suffered through the 1st issue and stopped about 3-4 pages into issue 2. It was the DUMBEST I've ever read in my life.

Here is my list so far:

1. Longshot #1

Last edited September 10, 2019 9:01:40 am
    nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: September 10, 2019 11:38:22 pm
  • Finished the New52 All-Star Western run tonight. . .issues #15 - #34 for 19 issues and a total of 154!

After the first half the art started to swing in quality, but having the same writers on the run from start to finish kept things steady on the story side of things. Probably my favorite New 52 series.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
57 posts • Page 1 of 6
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Carnage Issue # 6c
  • Marvel Comics's Ghost Rider: Final Vengeance Issue # 2e
  • Marvel Comics's Ghost Rider: Final Vengeance Issue # 2btc-b
  • Marvel Comics's Ultimate Black Panther Issue # 3d