feature requests

Where Does DC Comics Fit In AT&T’s Vision (Comic Book Forums)

• Where Does DC Comics Fit In AT&T’s Vision

Author Discussion
  • Posted: August 1, 2019 12:34:54 am
  • Reading that just made me sad in many ways. Sad

I've had the feeling for a while now that my daughter is probably part of the final generation of those able to enjoy going to a comic shop and getting new issues off the shelf. Articles like this one just reinforce that feeling in a big way.
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: August 1, 2019 11:20:58 am
  • If they ever kill the comics, the movies, tv shows, and video games will eventually dry up and die as well. The comic books are where it all starts. It is the source material and the core fan base.

A good example to compare to in history is what happen with the popularity of Westerns in the 40s and 50s. After they stopped publishing them the movies started to dwindle down too. Yes we occasionally have a good Western show up every few years, but it's nowhere like it was in it's heyday, and fewer people are interested.

Last edited August 1, 2019 11:21:20 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: August 1, 2019 2:58:53 pm
  • I'm with atom, that after I read that article, I was very sad and upset. Whenever BIG companies get involved (in absolutely anything!!) it always ends up being about the money!! Greed, nothing else but greed. Shame on you
  • Posted: August 1, 2019 11:17:11 pm
  • This made me scratch my head...

DC co-President Dan DiDio publicly fumed that reissues of comics 30 and 40 years old were outselling current stories featuring the same characters, calling that a “failure on us.”

If that's the case then why do they continue to go further away from that formula?
    "Disliking everything is not the same thing as having an opinion"

• Posted: August 2, 2019 6:11:17 am
  • Sigh.
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
  • Posted: August 2, 2019 8:08:15 am
  • Yep sigh is right. I think this is foreshadowing the decline of the paper book (at least so far with DC) and the rise of the digital.
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: August 8, 2019 6:43:56 pm
  • I'm a bit shocked they're still in business.

If you had told me in 1999 while reading Warren Ellis' "Come in Alone" column at CBR that I'd still be buying comics the same way twenty years later and I never would have believed you.

However, one bean counter at AT&T or Disney could take down the entire direct market tomorrow if they so desired.
  • Posted: August 29, 2019 12:34:15 pm
  • Very sad read. Whether they are profitable or not, big business seems to just look at how much money one department brings in over another and then starts shutting things down or cancelling products and services that don't meet some metric. Fans and consumers suffer with less choice and in some cases no choice, while investors and higher ups make more money.

Hearing how much debt AT&T has also makes me wonder about many things.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Sofawolf Press's Heat Soft Cover # 2
  • Sofawolf Press's Heat Soft Cover # 10
  • Marvel Comics's Jackpot and Black Cat Issue # 1
  • Marvel Comics's Miles Morales: Spider-Man Issue # 18e