feature requests

List of Golden Age superheroines. (Comic Book Forums)

• List of Golden Age superheroines.

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 18, 2019 2:05:08 am
  • Out of curiosity, I decided to build a list of Golden Age female superheroes and this is the list so far. Feel free to point out anyone I missed:

1939 - Crimson Rider, Golden Amazon, Magician from Mars

1940 - Alice of the Winged People, Black Widow (Timely Comics), Fantomah, Headless Horseman, Invisible Scarlet O'Neil, Lady Luck, Mighty Woman, Miss X, Red Tornado, Woman in Red

1941 - Black Cat, Black Widow (Holyoke Publishing), Blue Lady, Bulletgirl, Flame Girl, Hawkgirl, Kitten, Lady Fairplay, Lady Satan (Harry 'A' Chesler), Madame Strange, Margo the Magician, Miss America (Quality Comics), Miss Fury, Miss Victory, Mother Hubbard, Nelvana of the Northern Lights, Owl Girl, Pat Patriot, Phantom Lady, Ranger Girl, Rocketgirl, Silver Scorpion, Spider Queen, Super Ann, USA the Spirit of Old Glory, Wildfire, Wonder Woman

1942 - Black Angel, Blonde Bomber, Girl Commandos, Liberty Belle, Lightning Girl, Mary Marvel, Señorita Rio, Spider Widow, The Wing

1943 - Black Orchid (Harvey Comics), Lady Satan (Harvey Comics), Miss America (Timely Comics), Miss Patriot, Superwoman

1944 - Black Orchid (Consolidated Book Publishers), Black Venus, Catgirl, Diana the Huntress, Dotty Whirlwind (aka Dotty Virvelvind), Miss Espionage, Purple Tigress, Spider Woman, Veiled Avenger, Will O' The Wisp

1945 - Comandette, Firehair, Freckles Marvel, Ghost Woman, Mysta of the Moon, Polka-Dot Pirate, Yankee Girl (Four Star Publications)

1946 - Blonde Phantom, The Flame, Front Page Peggy, Futura, Golden Girl (Spark Publications), Lady Fantax, Magga the Magnificent, Miss Fear, Miss Masque, The Torch (aka la Antorcha)

1947 - Acromaid, Atoma, Black Canary, Electro Girl, Iron Lady, Marvel Maid, Moon Girl, Namora, Phantom Maid, Undercover Girl, Vampire, Varga, Yankee Girl (Harry 'A' Chesler)

1948 - The Cat (aka de Kat), Elektra, Gimmick Girl, Golden Girl (Timely Comics), Lady Danger, Miss Devil (aka Miss Diavolo), Sun Girl, Val Venture, Venus

1949 - The Queen of Spades (aka la Dama di Picche), Supergirl

1950 - The Avenging Plainswoman (aka la Llanera Vengadora), Calamity Kate, Darna, The Silent Three, Starlight, TNT Tina

1951 - Black Phantom, Corsair Queen, Doll Girl

1952 - Galaxy Gals

1953 - Sri Asih, Zina of Koroka

1954 - Princess Bintang (aka Putri Bintang), Tomboy

Last edited August 1, 2019 2:27:55 pm
  • Posted: July 18, 2019 1:44:53 pm
  • Very nice list!! That must have took some time to amass that comprehensive list. '40s and '50s comic books aren't my cup of tea, but there are tonnes of members here on CBR that enjoy those older books.
  • Posted: July 18, 2019 4:59:12 pm
  • Not sure if this would count, but how about Red Sonja? She first appeared in a short story with an illustration titled, "The Shadow of The Vulture" in Magic Carpet Magazine (Jan., 1934).

Last edited July 18, 2019 4:59:54 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: July 19, 2019 8:22:18 pm
  • Rapha1978 said:
    Not sure if this would count, but how about Red Sonja? She first appeared in a short story with an illustration titled, "The Shadow of The Vulture" in Magic Carpet Magazine (Jan., 1934).

I decided to keep it at 1938-1955, which I think is appropriate when putting a timeframe on the Golden Age of Comics. I actually thought to include Doctor Occult's assistant Rose Psychic on the list, but after making that decision, I ultimately didn't, as she had debuted in 1935.

• Posted: July 24, 2019 1:53:31 am
  • Are you counting "Jungle" style characters? I just got my hands on some "Jann of The Jungle" comics from Atlas (1955).
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: July 25, 2019 4:07:17 pm
  • atom said:
    Are you counting "Jungle" style characters? I just got my hands on some "Jann of The Jungle" comics from Atlas (1955).

I don't claim to know as an absolute fact what a superheroine is and isn't, but I was thinking something along the lines of a female that either uses an alter ego, costume, or supernatural powers (or at least extraordinary fighting skills) while fighting against criminals, though not necessarily all three. Basically, something less civilian, and instead something that lends itself to being more fantastical. That's why I hesitated to include characters such as Betty Bates, Gail Garrity, and Lois Lane, which came across to me as more civilian-esque overall even though they have helped in going up against crime.

It's also why I included Fantomah on there, even though no other jungle ladies appear on the list. Again, I don't claim to know the is and isn'ts with superheroines, but that's why forums like these can help sort out things in a more clear way. Who knows, the more people talk on here and argue towards having more names like Lois Lane on the list, the more such names may end up on it, perhaps even more than I had imagined at the start. I'm pretty flexible after all. Haha.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • IDW Publishing's Star Trek Issue # 19
  • Ablaze Media's The Prism Issue # 7f
  • Marvel Comics's Web of Spider-Man Issue # 9b
  • Absolute Comics Group's White Widow Issue # 4lab