feature requests

Did you ever have a subscription come in the mail? (Comic Book Forums)

• Did you ever have a subscription come in the mail?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: July 5, 2019 5:31:37 pm
  • Reading an old comic today I remembered that they used to do that. I kinda wanted to try it but never gave in, buying them from the store was more exciting I think. I could imagine some of the best graded comics came straight to your house Sad
    gets a beer
  • Posted: July 6, 2019 8:28:51 am
  • I never had a subscription either, but considered it a bunch in my younger days. As far as being the best graded comics, I am not quite sure about that. I know on some of the older books, there were subscription creases left on the books. I don't think they had the packaging know-how back then, and were most likely put in thinner type envelopes in which the mail carrier pretty much folded the comics in half to cram them in mailboxes.
    I kick myself now looking at some of the older book's subscription ads. If only I subscribed to Amazing Spider-man in 1975 and got 12 issues for a couple of bucks! lol
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: July 6, 2019 10:52:18 am
  • I had to live away for a year overseas in the late 1980s and did a subscription with Marvel. If I remember correctly I was subscribing to X-Men, Fantastic Four, and the three Spider-Man titles. They did a really good job of handling it (these were the days before Internet) and comics always arrived every month. If it matters, these were all "direct edition" which could be noted in the UPC box area vs newsstand. If they offered subscriptions today I would probably consider it, but honestly it seems like creative teams don't stay on titles for very long and there are so many reboots that it may be nearly impossible these days.

Last edited July 6, 2019 10:54:26 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: July 9, 2019 11:02:59 am
  • My Uncanny X-Men from the '80's have the dreaded subscription crease. All comics from that time were mailed folded in half.
  • Posted: July 9, 2019 3:23:05 pm
  • junobeach, I think that was more the mail man's fault than it was Marvel's. They were not mailed with any sort of backboard. I remember them being sort of shrinkwrapped (not sure if that's the word, I guess more like bagged) in plastic. Most of mine came flat but you are right. There were a few times the mail man (USPS) just folded everything, sometimes wrapping it with other mail in a rubber band.

Last edited July 9, 2019 3:23:52 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: July 10, 2019 2:03:01 pm
  • Between comic book collecting periods for me, I read about Afterlife With Archie and decided to try it via subscription, which was a substantial savings. They were packed okay, but I had a couple others come from Archie, and they were just placed in regular plastic bags and the condition was definitely affected.
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
  • Posted: July 10, 2019 4:00:32 pm
  • I subscribed to Harrow County..Just subscribed to house of whispers
  • Posted: August 16, 2019 10:07:07 pm
  • I had subscribed to several marvel and dc books during the past year- I won’t renew. I was lured into it as 12 issues for most books was $28 so that was a good deal. Then I knew that midtowncomics sends the books and I like that store. However, the mailman is not the gentlest and the books would be a crapshooot - one week I might get a high grade book. The next the book would be in poor shape . They come in a bag with a thin board but they still get bent pretty good

If you don’t care about shape then it is a good deal
  • Posted: August 18, 2019 3:48:57 pm
  • Had a subscription I tried in my youth but comics then came folded d'oh! so had a color breaking crease. So did only one and eventually traded off the books. This was in 60s.
    The joy is in the journey, not just the destination.
  • Posted: August 18, 2019 4:47:28 pm
  • I tried it for a few years...but ultimately being a collector wasn't pleased with the quality/condition. Just wasn't worth the hassle...plus support your local shop if you can.
    Favorite Quote: "You're not just some guy in a bat costume are you? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?! - Justice League #1, 2011"

Hunting for (mainly reprints/variants) - Please help! - See My Profile
  • Posted: August 18, 2019 5:22:20 pm
  • Bye the way I'm reading most posts, I'm glad I never did it. Thanx for all the replies, I hope I can come up with another good question for people to comment on. Very Happy
    gets a beer
11 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Caliber Comics's Daemonstorm Issue # 1b
  • Yen Press's Kiss the Scars of the Girls Soft Cover # 2
  • Schanes & Schanes's Midnight Gods Issue nn
  • Marvel Comics's War Machine Issue # 7b