feature requests

Rai #5 (1992) cover question (Comic Book Forums)

• Rai #5 (1992) cover question

Author Discussion
  • Posted: June 6, 2019 8:31:18 pm
  • I bought a NM copy and the white behind the logo as well as the whites in the title look faded. I've never seen another copy of this issue in my hand so I don't have anything else besides other issues of Rai to which I can compare. Seller claims that the off-white is how #5 was originally printed. Can anyone confirm? Have a high-res pic of a NM copy to post? Thanks!
  • Posted: June 7, 2019 12:34:56 pm
  • Anything is possible. Could have been a printer issue at the time, but you can't print white so it may just be the way the comic was stored and how it aged.

Last edited June 7, 2019 12:35:11 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: June 7, 2019 6:15:07 pm
  • Yes you can print white lol...i worked at a sign shop for 7 years...able to print white the whole time...

Didnt matter if you were edge printing, screen printing or digital printing...

Not saying they dont for comics per se...but im almost positive they digitally print to paper, so the process is the same...they just use white substrate so may not need to...with signage you print to oodles of colored substrates, white is necessary lol

Last edited June 7, 2019 6:20:25 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Invaders #7: 1st Union Jack & Baron Blood
    Wolverine #37: 1st Albert
    Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #7: 1st Spider-Woman (Julia Carpenter)
    Secret Avengers #23 2nd Print: 1st Agent Venom
  • Posted: June 7, 2019 8:40:01 pm
  • I guess I was under the impression that most comics were printed on white media (white paper). And now that we are in the digital printing era and no longer printing four color separations on newsprint, the glossy paper is as bright as can be. Never collected Rai so have no idea what that issue looks like.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: June 8, 2019 2:53:38 am
  • I don't really know anything about the printing process for comics but I do have a copy of Rai #5. It's been a long while since I have looked at it, but I don't recall anything special about the cover colors. Give me a few days and I will dig it out of the vault and see if I can post a pic.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: June 8, 2019 5:22:19 pm
  • Thank you so much, that will help me a lot. If you can post a pic that would be awesome. Barring that, if you have any of the other Rai's 1-6, compare the whites of the logo on them to see if Rai #5 is as off-white as mine.
  • Posted: June 13, 2019 12:23:39 am
  • Hi Jeff: I am posting the covers to Rai #2 and #5, which feature the most white of the first five issues. Both of them, and in fact all of the covers, feature very deep and rich white. I don't buy what your seller was selling! And, as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the white cover! You have to check the links but here they are. And btw, just like all the Valiant books up to Unity and the firing of Jim Shooter, they are brilliant stories.
    https://comicbookrealm.com/view-pic/14370441/1731/25019
    https://comicbookrealm.com/view-pic/14370441/1731/25020
    Tenzil
  • Posted: June 13, 2019 6:55:12 pm
    This is a picture of the upper left corners of my Rai #7 and the Rai #5 I bought online. A hi-Res screen is best to be able to truly see the colors. I used my Galaxy S10+ and you can clearly see the difference. Is this not how your Rai #5 looks?
    That's my Rai #6 and the #5 at the top
  • Posted: June 14, 2019 1:50:19 pm
  • Hi Jeff:
    Yes, sorry, when I looked at my comic and did the scans it was late and the light was not good. My old eyes saw white when upon closer inspection it is only off-white. I am not sure mine is as faded looking as yours, but it is certainly not white. I will try to post a close up pic later for you to compare.
    Tenzil
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 54 years, 24 days, 15 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • Houghton Mifflin Company's Animal Farm The Graphic Novel Hard Cover # 1
  • Dark Horse Comics's Black Hammer / Justice League: Hammer of Justice Issue # 5d
  • IDW Publishing's Glow TPB # 1
  • DC Comics's Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy Issue # 3