feature requests

Dark Horse vs Marvel Star Wars (Comic Book Forums)

• Dark Horse vs Marvel Star Wars

Author Discussion
  • Posted: May 15, 2019 10:08:15 am
  • Anyone here collect Star Wars comics? I honestly had not been keeping up since the license left Dark Horse. Recently picked up a Marvel collection for cheap that I have been reading through lately. These are the new ones currently published since 2015.

I’m still not sure what to think. I was a fan of the Dark Horse comics that came out in the 90s. Some of my favorite titles were Dark Empire, Tales of the Jedi, Republic, Legacy, and even the Darth Maul series. What I am noticing about the Marvel titles is that they are keeping the story lines all within the original trilogy time frame–and the timeline is starting to feel cramped with all these adventures happening all at once. It’s neat to see some of my favorite characters, but I am also getting bored with the artwork. Artists try too hard to copy the way the characters look on screen. So it’s all very linear and hyper realistic. One thing I enjoyed about the DH comics were the different styles of art within each series. Look at Cam Kennedy’s work. It was beautiful and creative.

The writing has been okay but feels safe. I have been reading issues chronologically but I feel like I am putting up with it just to see what happens next. The only series I’ve really truly enjoyed issue-to-issue is the Darth Vader one. I sort of miss reading Star Wars stories that were happening in different eras, when DH took things further into the past and future. I miss some of that. I know Disney/Marvel no longer accepts them as canon, and that is disappointing but if you've never read them they are still good reads.

Any thoughts? Which publisher do you think wrote the best Star Wars stories? For me it's Dark Horse.

Last edited May 15, 2019 10:10:39 am
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: May 16, 2019 12:18:57 pm
  • I Agree, I have seen the cover art work of the new Marvel Star Wars comics and I think that origonal artwork is better. I liked the 90's comics by Dark Horse because they were stories that I hadn't heard of. I am almost tempted to look for the paperback books that were out and see how those re.
  • Posted: May 16, 2019 1:24:19 pm
  • There were some good runs CarlM. Another interesting one in my collection was published right before they went back to Marvel. It was an 8 issue series called The Star Wars. Really entertaining read for any fan. It was an adaptation of George Lucas's first draft screenplay to what would become Star Wars.
  • Posted: May 16, 2019 3:02:40 pm
  • My best friend (Potatohedd here on CBR) is a Star Wars fanatic. You think you love Star Wars? Not even close, trust me.

He has collected and read ALL the Dark Horse Star Wars comic books and he mentioned to me that even though price-wise none of them have gone up in value much, there are some really terrific stories. There were hundreds of them, don't forget!

It really sucks that Disney treats all those stories as if they "never happened".
  • Posted: May 16, 2019 6:37:08 pm
  • brucifer said:
    It really sucks that Disney treats all those stories as if they "never happened".

I know most fans were upset about that decision. I'm not a fanatic by any means... I just enjoyed some of the comics throughout the years. Dark Horse added 20+ years worth of material to the legacy. And the novels by other publishers also complimented the expanded Star Wars universe. Most of this work was considered canon up until Disney took over. It's one of the reasons I believe they don't really have a clear direction now. No vision. Nothing to grab source material from, since it's no longer relevant. They just release a movie, to release it. News is there are three more films planned...and I bet you Disney isn't even sure what they're about yet until they start filming. You can't just toss 23 years out and then expect to rewrite everything in just a short time. I also put some of the blame on Kathleen Kennedy, who rejected the comics and novels and ruined the franchise with her feminist agenda.

Last edited May 16, 2019 6:41:03 pm
  • Posted: May 17, 2019 8:31:19 am
  • The Dark Horse comics were a REALLY mixed bag that swung wildly in the wind as far as quality. There were some really epic storylines to be had, but there was also some real WTF? Shocked things going on as well. I'd say my favorite DH Star Wars comics came at the very end of their time with the license with a short 20 issue run just called "Star Wars" that was set right after the original movie.

As far as the new marvel Star Wars goes, The first 2 years or so of the run is a little hard to get through. It has a LOT of fan service that doesn't really go away until about 15 or so issues, and the creepy photo-referenced art that shows up after the original artist left doesn't help. It's shaped up quite a bit now, but it's not my favorite of the Marvel Star Wars titles.

My favorites are the 2 Darth Vader series (both now ended) and Doctor Aphra, which surprised me a lot with just how much fun it is. In a lot of ways, it's more like the Dark Horse Star Wars in that the characters aren't bound by movie constraints. . .because, let's face it. . .in the regular Star Wars title, you KNOW Luke Skywalker is gonna survive that death trap. He's got at least 4 more movies to go! Same with Han, Chewie, and the rest of the gang. It's PART of the canon Star Wars universe, but sort of off to the side. In my Extremely humble opinion, Doctor Aphra is the best Star Wars ongoing in a long time .

Last edited May 17, 2019 8:38:20 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
  • Newest
  • DC Black Label's Frank Millers Ronin TPB # 1
  • Mayamada Ltd's Samurai Chef TPB # 1
  • DC Comics's The New Teen Titans: The Judas Contract Hard Cover # 1
  • Marvel Comics's War of the Realms: Spider-Man and the League of Realms Issue # 1
CBR.com member auction items ?