feature requests

Favourite horror movie (Comic Book Forums)

• Favourite horror movie

Author Discussion
  • Posted: April 6, 2019 10:03:56 am
  • I would love to hear from ALL you CBR members about your all-time favourite horror movie.
    No TV shows or animation, just blood-curdling HORROR!

I'll start first with my older picks:
    (1979) Alien
    (1981) Evil Dead

I'll throw in some newer ones too:
    (2009) The Human Centipede
    (2011) The Cabin In The Woods

Looking forward to seeing some more picks and maybe some I haven't seen too.
  • Posted: April 6, 2019 10:54:05 am
  • The first Evil Dead is definitely up there in my picks too, same with the reboot.

Both the Shining and the Exorcist are 2 movies that were not only entertaining, but scared the pants off my me too.

House of 1000 Corpses got under my skin as well.
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: April 7, 2019 9:39:38 am
  • It's hard for me to narrow it down but I recently tried to come up with my top 10. Here's what I ended up with:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls047279986/

Human Centipede I thought was just a shock idea, kind of boring. Even though I've seen lots of horror movies I don't really care about gore or extreme stuff. I know some people rank slashers on the kills, I just rank them by how much I enjoyed watching them. For example, The Prowler had some great effects [what do you expect with Savini] but the movie was SO boring.
  • Posted: April 7, 2019 12:11:50 pm
  • I’ll come at this from a different perspective in the fact that I do not like horror movies at all. I am a big sissy and have never liked them but I have seen some so I guess they’d be my favorite in that they scared me the most.

Candyman-I watched this movie as a teenager with friends in someone’s dark as haybarn. It was set up this way to be scary and mission accomplished.
    Silver Bullet-Saw this when I was like 6-7 years old. My babysitter was watching it and insisted it wasn’t scary. When the guys head flies off in the opening scene I about peed myself. This is probably the reason I don’t like horror lol.
    Friday the 13th
    Poltergeist
    Jeepers Creepers

I have seen Evil Dead and thought it was more funny than scary, liked it.
    nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: April 7, 2019 9:13:48 pm
  • Some of my favorites are ones I remember scaring the out of me when I was a kid. Most were shown on the Saturday night creature feature. Some examples are:
    The Wasp Woman (1959)
    The House of Usher (1960)
    Wolfen (1981)

Not the most memorable of films, but did a number on the 9 year old me!

More recent favorites are:
    Jeepers Creepers (2001)
    Trick 'r Treat (2007)
    Cabin in the Woods (2012)
    In pursuit of what Marvel considers the entire Hulk legacy run... with a few adjustments.

Current level of completeness: 71.04%
  • Posted: April 8, 2019 2:43:14 am
  • I haven't seen many horror films in the last long while but two that stand out from the era of the early 80's are The Shining and the original Halloween.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: April 8, 2019 12:46:51 pm
  • My picks of Evil Dead and Human Centipede are valid.
    The very first Evil Dead was not humorous whatsoever. It was a legit horror movie (and scared the out of my 12 year-old self). The ones to follow were horror/comedy.
    The Human Centipede is not a slasher movie. There is barely any blood or gore at all in the entire movie. It may have been made for it's "shock" value, but it was a fun ride that would have not been possible if not for the talented Dieter Laser!!
  • Posted: April 9, 2019 1:48:32 am
  • (1982) The Thing.
    Once again proving that John Carpenter and Kurt Russell are phenomenal working together. The Thing uses paranoia and tension wonderfully. The effects are superbly done and hold up today, showing that CGI isn't always the way to go. Not only is this my favourite horror movie it's one of my all time favourite movies of any genre.

(1968 ) Night of the Living Dead
    (1978 ) Land of the Dead

This list can't be complete without the mention of George A. Romero. Zombie movies at there best here and just so iconic. I had a chance to meet George A. Romero a few years back and he was just splendid. I got his autograph but my friend forgot to bring his item to be signed and had to leave to get it. George Romero waited for my friend to get back even though he was supposed to go to his next thing at the expo we were at.

Then to touch on Evil Dead trilogy I absolutely love them. I am a big fan of Bruce Campbell. Although I like Evil Dead I like Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness even more due to the added humor. Other comedy/horror Bruce Campbell movies Bubba Ho-Tep and My name is Bruce, as well as Ash vs the Evil Dead series.

Last edited April 9, 2019 1:49:05 am
  • Posted: April 10, 2019 6:44:40 pm
  • Poruchny said:
    and My name is Bruce

I was going to reply to you and mention you should check this movie out so I'm glad you already mentioned it Smile Along with Bubba Ho-Tep.

I like Bruce as well but I thought they really screwed up the Ash Vs. Evil Dead show. The first episode was great but they took the show in a direction I felt screwed it up. It would have worked as a "Friday the 13th Series" type show where each episode could be a new story of them battling evil instead of having a season long arc that went nowhere and kept changing rules.

I'm also a big Carpenter fan but I prefer Christine or Halloween over The Thing. I can also put on They Live anytime and enjoy it.
  • Posted: April 10, 2019 6:49:52 pm
  • brucifer said:

The Human Centipede is not a slasher movie. There is barely any blood or gore at all in the entire movie. It may have been made for it's "shock" value, but it was a fun ride that would have not been possible if not for the talented Dieter Laser!!

I didn't meant to call that movie a Slasher film, I just went off on a tangent without any notice.

I've recently been watching some old 80s films that I missed as a kid like Prowler, New Year's Evil, Blood Rage, Mutilator, Pieces, etc. With the exception of Prowler I've been enjoying them a lot.

Newer lower budget "" horror films are harder for me to get into because they don't have the nostalgic charm so I usually avoid them. You know the ones I'm talking about, the ones that sometimes have a similar title to a new movie to try and trick people into renting them. Right now there's one called "Pet Graveyard" I think .... I'll pass.

However, there have been great lower budget films recently. "They Look Like People" was one of my favorites. The opening minute was a great example of creating tension with hardly any substance. I think it's still on Netflix.
16 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 255 days, 20 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Giant-Size: The Incredible Hulk Issue # 1
  • Yen Press's Goblin Slayer Soft Cover # 14
  • Ben and Don Chin's Overload Issue # 3
  • Al Barrett's The Justiciary Issue # 2