feature requests

Meet Your Heroes? (Comic Book Forums)

• Meet Your Heroes?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: March 7, 2019 3:58:09 am
  • They say never meet your heroes. Well I have met some people at local expos and such and so far so good. I am wondering who you met that were either less than, as, or more than expected. (DISCLAIMER: if someone was less than you expected please don't use this as a place to trash their name, a simple not what I was hoping for with brief explanation will suffice).
    Those who I met at cons who really stood out to me were:

Alice Cooper: very polite, friendly and kind of funny cause I went with my brother who I share quite a resemblance and close name so he made some light hearted jokes about that which was great.

Greg Rucka: well he wrote in my opinion a great run of Punisher comics and was quite interactive with fans and relatable

Kristy Swanson: the original Buffy was the best way I can describe it a true sweetheart. Very appreciative and joyous. (Sadly if I recall Buffy co-star Luke Perry was there at the same time but didn't make it over to see him but saw him from the line, RIP).

Carl Weathers: what can I say about the man who was in such varied movies as Rocky, Predator and Happy Gilmore. I can say he is truly light hearted and funny. I got him to sign a boxing glove for my brother (caption "DING, DING!" from Rocky III) then I got him to sign the matching glove to me as "It's all in the hips" from Happy Gilmore. He truly laughed at that and kind of shook his head and signed it. Very cool.

George Romero: Extremely genuine. Got a comic signed by him, and pic taken with him. He was so friendly and happy to be there. My friend who I was with forgot his comic and had to leave and come back. He waited for my friend even after he was supposed to leave. That's great commitment to the fans. May he rest in peace (and hope not poor taste but not come back as a zombie?!?)

Bruce Campbell: Only met him in a photo session for maybe 30 seconds, but those 30 seconds he made us laugh feel at ease and you could tell he was having fun.

Then last for now but definitely not last...

Kevin Eastman: Wow. Just Wow. I have met quite a few famous actors, artists, musicians, NASCAR drivers, etc. Probably the only person who I got kind of star struck by. But in fairness if someone has an influence on yours, brothers and friends lives (and actually now my nephews lives maybe by my involvement on that one, haha) he has a bit to live up to. I had a chance to meet him at the first expo I went to and honestly didn't know he was to be there. By fate or luck before going to that event I decided to bring all the variant covers I had at the time which included a newer TMNT with a blank back. Anyways got in line and when I got up there actually had a conversation with him (maybe nerded out a bit which I am sure he is used to). Then he flipped through the book and kind of related to it then drew a full page sketch on the blank cover at no cost. Shook my hand and said he was happy to be there and grateful for fans like me. I mean he was the definition of class at that event. That is probably my most treasured possession. It may not be the most valuable book but to me it's absolutely priceless. A++++

Well that's my rant for now. I know there are a couple others that I am missing and will add later.
  • Posted: March 8, 2019 7:31:21 am
  • Thanks for sharing those stories, Carl Weathers sounds like an awesome dude.

I have to agree with you on meeting Kevin Eastman, even just asking him to sign a book was cool, had him sign my Tales of TMNT #1 and he mentioned how he hadn't seen those books in a long time, he nerds out with every one.
  • Posted: March 8, 2019 1:49:46 pm
  • I've met a lot of creators in the comic book industry. Both Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird are class acts and really show their love to the fans. In fact the whole Mirage TMNT crew has been that way except one, who I will note later below.

Others I remember that were just incredibly awesome and friendly: George Perez, Jim Starlin, Walt Simonson and his wife, Louise Simonson, Stan Lee, Todd McFarlane (this was back in the 90s, so don’t know how he is now), Rob Liefeld, Erik Larson, Jeff Smith, Chris Claremont, Stacy Lee, Jerry Ordway, Bill Sienkiewicz, David Mack, Mike Zeck, and Bob McLeod.

Some of the not-so-friendly holes I have met (hope that’s allowed. I don’t want to use profanity): Robbie Rodriguez, Adam Hughes, Jim Steranko, Roy Thomas, Michael Dooney, and Adam Kubert.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: March 20, 2019 2:26:08 am
  • The only true comic book creator of any note that I have met is Todd McFarlane. In a different post here I told of the time he was the guest artist at my local LCS when he was just starting out at Marvel and there were only three of us in the store for like half an hour, the owner, Todd and me. He regaled us with great stories of being chewed out royally by Larry Hama and other tidbits from the industry.
    Poruchny mentioned meeting Carl Weathers. I never met him but when I was growing up I watched him play linebacker for our local CFL team, the BC Lions, prior to his going Hollywood.
    Though this is not comic book related I had the privilege a few years back to interview the hockey hall of fame broadcaster Jim Robson for a magazine I was writing for. Spent a couple of hours at his home sipping juice and nibbling cookies his wife had made while he told me a treasure trove of stories from the early years of broadcasting in Vancouver, and all about our local team, the Canucks. He took me up to his den where he has so much hockey memorabilia stored you would never believe it. And he was the most humble, down to earth, genuinely nice guy you would ever hope to meet.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: March 20, 2019 7:06:36 am
  • I've met a few of the comic creators that I read all the time and that I like.

Eastman is one of them and he was a trip. I was in line at a Free Comic Day Event he was at and the line took almost 2 hours to get through because he wouldnt stop talking to people. When I got up to the front and I had my family with me he was still excited to talk to people. He signed the books that I had and even got up and came around the table and signed my boys shirts and drew a turtle head on them. He couldn't have been nicer.

Jim Lawson was another TMNT guy that I talked to for a good 10 minutes at a Con in Boston and was more then accomidating with fans.

Nick Bradsaw and Terry Dodson were at a Boston Show a few years ago as well and they both didn't have lines in front of them and were more then willing to talk about books and what I liked and what they liked. Dodson signed some of the sketch cards he had and just gave them to me because I was a fan of his Red One Book. Over all great guys.

I've met some older Boston Bruins from the 70's and 80's and even got the chance to play in a few pickup games with some of them and they are always great guys to hang around with. They are always willing to tell stories from the road and teach you things that they see that could help you be a better player.

I've never met a comic artist or writer that was a or anything to fans. The ones that I have had the chance to talk to are always willing to interact with you as long as there isn't a long line infront of them.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 186 days, 23 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • David Heath Jr.'s No Sex Issue # 3
  • PS Artbooks's PS Artbooks: Green Lama Facsimile Edition Issue # 6
  • Vanguard Productions's Space Cowboy Issue # 1b
  • Marvel Comics's The Incredible Hulk Issue # 10b