feature requests

Detective Comics #1000 (Comic Book Forums)

• Detective Comics #1000

Author Discussion
  • Posted: February 28, 2019 10:56:25 am
  • Hitting 1000 issues is quite the milestone. Is anyone looking forward to this issue or any of the variants? I know variants are a hit or miss in the CBR community and for the most part it seems like a majority don't go for them. I have two of them on order as I really like the artwork. I'm getting the 1940's and the 70's covers. Definitely not getting the Midtown Lee Bermejo cover for $18 and I don't care that much for the regular cover by Jim Lee.

Are you getting any?
    nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: February 28, 2019 11:02:21 am
  • I just have the regular cover on order at my LCS. I have nothing against variants, but I don't usually try to get them. I love the historic aspect of this issue coming out.
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
  • Posted: February 28, 2019 11:29:10 am
  • I got the regular cover and the Adam Hughes variant, just for my personal collection. With so many copies I can't see it going up in price much.
  • Posted: February 28, 2019 12:08:52 pm
  • junobeach said:
    I got the regular cover and the Adam Hughes variant, just for my personal collection. With so many copies I can't see it going up in price much.
    I haven't seen the Hughes variant, do you have a link?
    nem·e·sis
    noun
    A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent
  • Posted: February 28, 2019 4:43:17 pm
  • I've been out of the loop but what's the story going on in this issue? I dropped Batman titles after the big wedding letdown on issue #50.
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: March 1, 2019 12:18:12 am
  • Rapha1978 said:
    I've been out of the loop but what's the story going on in this issue? I dropped Batman titles after the big wedding letdown on issue #50.

Detective has had its ups and downs, but generally speaking I find it has been the better Batman title during Rebirth. That said. . .the story going on right now is pretty weak. It involves Batman pursuing a mysterious and seemingly unstoppable enemy that is targeting and killing people who helped train him during his early career as Batman. It all comes to a head when Batman finally confronts. . .himself!

SPOILER ALERT

It was all a simulation. A Matrix-Style psychological test Batman puts himself through once a year. Yeah. . .it's a modern version of the good old "It was all just a dream" trope. It seems more like a filler story to placehold the series leading up to issue 1000 than anything else, so I'll give it a bit of a break.

But even though the current story is the definition of weak, Detective is still a of a lot better than the fan fiction being foisted on us over at Batman by a guy whose gigantic ego actually makes me miss Grant "I love to show off my knowledge of obscure Silver Age and if you don't like it, F%&K off and read Wonder Woman" Morrison.

Last edited March 1, 2019 12:19:41 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: March 1, 2019 12:30:27 am
  • And ON topic. . .

I've got that SWEET Bernie Wrightson variant on order.

I've got a nice spot on the office wall rotating comic cover display just waiting for it. . .

Last edited March 1, 2019 12:32:22 am
    Favorite Characters: Lone Ranger, Green Hornet, Captain America, The Shadow, Zorro, The Rocketeer, Jonah Hex
  • Posted: March 1, 2019 7:30:20 am
  • Atom, great summation of what's going on in the Batman comics. I agree that Detective has been a little underwhelming for the current story, so I'm hoping that things pick up once the 1000 celebration is over.
    See my blog, Cool Comics in My Collection, at https://edgosney.com/
  • Posted: March 1, 2019 9:51:35 am
  • Thanks Comic Guru! That was an excellent synopsis. And that cover is amazing.
  • Posted: March 1, 2019 10:39:34 am
  • MacheteF7 said:
    junobeach said:
    I got the regular cover and the Adam Hughes variant, just for my personal collection. With so many copies I can't see it going up in price much.
    I haven't seen the Hughes variant, do you have a link?
    https://frankiescomics.com/products/detective-comics-1000-adam-hughes-catwoman
    Here's a link to all the covers...so far!
    comicburst.com/blog/detective-comics-1000-complete-cover-checklist/
  • Posted: March 1, 2019 11:53:55 am
  • MacheteF7 said:
    Here's a link to all the covers...so far!
    comicburst.com/blog/detective-comics-1000-complete-cover-checklist/

I'm really liking the Bill Sienkiewicz DKR variant. Not sure what Jim Steranko was going for but his 1960 variant cover doesn't really represent 1960s Batman to me.
  • Posted: March 1, 2019 4:14:58 pm
  • Thanks for asking Rapha1978 because I was in the same boat of not knowing.
    Thanks for the link junobeach.
    The Bruce Timm cover caught my eye first, and the Capullo is a winner to me too.
    The Capullo version looks eerily similar to another book that has been on my radar...

https://igcomicstore.com/products/moon-knight-200
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: March 1, 2019 4:16:39 pm
  • Both Bill Sienkiewicz books look amazing too.
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
13 posts • Page 1 of 2
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 190 days, 18 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Marvel Comics's Cable Issue # 3
  • Skybound's Duke Issue # 1 - 3rd print
  • Papercutz's Geronimo Stilton: Reporter Hard Cover # 16
  • Alien Books's Machine Girl & The Space Hell Engels Issue # 2b