feature requests

Why would 2nd print be worth more? (Comic Book Forums)

• Why would 2nd print be worth more?

Author Discussion
  • Posted: February 18, 2019 5:26:38 pm
  • I ran across Uncanny X-men 270 and the pricing made me do a double take. Why would 2nd print be worth $10 but 1st print just $8? Eh?
    Your friendly neighborhood comic trader
  • Posted: February 18, 2019 6:08:17 pm
  • I am going to take a guess through deduction here.
    I would bet that the 2nd printing has a much smaller print run than the first.
    I don't have that data, but based on the # of owned on CBR it is like 1700+ for the 1st print and 230+ for the 2nd print.
    Click Here To See The 2Believers! Store!
  • Posted: February 18, 2019 6:09:54 pm
  • It isn't a big difference with value between the two, but fairly certain that the value is higher on the 2nd printing due to a smaller print run.
  • Posted: February 18, 2019 7:18:05 pm
  • Sometimes they just go under the radar and eventually become rarer than the 1st printing.

Take a look at Spider-Man 2099 (vol.1). 2nd print goes for usually over $150 on ebay. It's a rare one. Same thing with Spider-Man (vol.1). That 2nd print with the gold cover goes for double.

Last edited February 18, 2019 7:20:05 pm
    We strike hard and fade away into the night
  • Posted: February 18, 2019 7:46:02 pm
  • Nobody knows why some second prints are worth more while the great majority are worth less. ALL second prints from the major publishers have a smaller print run yet only a few increase in price. Some have a new cover that people like, others are the completists that must have every issue. It's a total shoot.
  • Posted: February 19, 2019 2:16:24 am
  • I am pretty sure that comics are the only form of literature in which second or third or whatever prints can be worth more than first prints, and it makes no sense whatsoever to me. I guess you can make a case for a subsequent printing having a new cover or something that makes it collectible, but even then I always prefer first printings.
    Tenzil
  • Posted: February 19, 2019 5:16:42 pm
  • i agree tenzil. i personally only buy 2nd printings + for key books (unless i find them in dollar bins). Ive been recognizing a trend on printings...stick with the key books. Even if the character seems pointless now, in 2 years, 5 years, or even 10 years, that will likely change...Marvel does do a good job of cycling thru their character inventory, as does DC...keep that in mind.

Last edited February 19, 2019 5:16:55 pm
    "How to destroy a man... Grant him his heart's desire." --Victor Von Doom
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Latest Additions
    Secret Wars #1 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... Cameo Emperor Doom!!
    Secret Wars #2 CGC 9.8 Dr. Doom Custom Label... 1st full app of Emperor Doom!!!
  • Posted: February 20, 2019 8:01:36 pm
  • Rapha1978 said:
    Same thing with Spider-Man (vol.1). That 2nd print with the gold cover goes for double.

There was also the silver cover.
  • Posted: February 22, 2019 11:16:55 pm
  • Good discussion. It just seems odd that printing more to meet the demand should mean the demand is great for the 1st the same or more. I would think that the economics would favor that more then the size of the print run.
    Your friendly neighborhood comic trader
  • Posted: February 23, 2019 12:00:44 am
  • Agreed, and a lot of great points made by all.
    I do think the particular issue that you were questioning, is more of a one-off though. Yes, it is a second printing, but this is one from a little ways back before all of the craziness with 2nd+3rd printings, and multiple covers that has blown up since then.
    Probably no finite answer to this one here, but my best guess is the print run due to the time the book was put out and the minimal pricing difference.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
World Community Grid Logo
ComicBookRealm.com: 72 years, 252 days, 5 hours of Run Time
Help projects like: Smash Childhood Cancer, OpenZika, Help Stop TB, FightAIDS@Home - Phase 2, Outsmart Ebola Together, Mapping Cancer Markers, FightAIDS@Home
Join World Community Grid today!
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
  • Newest
  • Al Barrett's Atomman Special # 8
  • Schanes & Schanes's Men Maiden and Myths Issue nn
  • Marvel Comics's Miles Morales: Spider-Man Issue # 19
  • Marvel Comics's Star Wars: Bounty Hunters TPB # 7